24) Changes and Surprises

24) Changes and Surprises

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Winter still kept April somewhat confined, and, during her days indoors, she enjoyed reading the interesting happenings of her deceased mother-in-law.  She learned much about her life and dreams.  She found herself reading the story of her, at first, as a young vibrant pre-teen, and then moving on as a teenager, blossoming with a new love and understanding and outlook on life.  April loved and enjoyed the stories, and shared them with Drew who seemed just as interested.

~*~

Then April's world was left spinning as Mr. Carter informed her that there was a buyer for the farmhouse.  April had caught her breath, trying to keep her feelings under control, and stop from trembling.

"How soon?" she had asked quietly.

"Next week."

It hadn't seemed real.  She didn't want it to be real.  Change, she thought. So much change.


So, April watched in misery as Mr. Carter packed up his things.  He would find a place in town, he had said.  At last moment, April called for him to wait a second, rushed inside, then back again with the cherished diary in her hands.

"I've been meaning to give this to you," she said.  "I found it while I was packing things up.  I should've given it to you before, but I--"

But Mr. Carter was shaking his head, and easing the diary back into her hands.  

"You keep it," he said softly.  "She would have wanted you to have it."

April held it to her bosom, gratefulness in her eyes.

"Thank you," she whispered.  "It means a lot to me."

He smiled, but his eyes misted with the painful sorrow.  Before saying another word, he turned away, and, standing by Drew, she watched him, suitcase in hand, as he strolled over the faint outline of the hill, then disappeared into the fog.

Drew wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close.

"Everything is happening so quickly," she whispered softly.

He nodded in his simple understanding.

~*~

After that, April and Jenny's visits became more frequent.  They both needed the time together, to let the warmth of a friend fill their heavy hearts, and laughter heal their pain.

~*~


One usual morning, Jenny found April lingering outside on the tire swing Drew had promised to build for her; Jenny's face unusually merry.  April immediately detected the happiness in her friends' eyes, and was interested in the reason.

"Beautiful morning, isn't it?" Jenny breathed, her face shining in the morning sun.

April forgot her curiosity, and smiled her agreement.

"Spring has arrived without us even realizing it," she responded as she let her gaze sweep over the spring buds that peeked their delicate faces towards heaven, and felt her heart warming to the birds' merry songs.

"I guess you've been pretty excited for Kanika to arrive, haven't you?"

April looked up, her face almost surprised.  "I've nearly forgotten," she said, and laughed at her comment.  "I guess with things as they are... well, I simply forgot.  But, yes," she added with a smile, "I can hardly wait."

Jenny returned her smile, and seated herself beside her on the damp, mossy earth.

"I-- well-- I've been meaning to tell you something."

Jenny immediately received April's full attention.  She couldn't help beaming, sure she would burst before she could even tell her.  

She took a deep breath.  "James and I-- well, we're pleased and surprised to find out that--" she paused, then burst out, "I'm going to have a baby."

April couldn't speak.  She felt her heart stop beating, and the air leave her lungs.  A baby, was her first thought.  Jenny-- a mother!


"Oh, Jenny!" she exclaimed, and soon they were in each others arms.  "I'm so-- so happy for you both."

Jenny's smile lighted up her whole face.  "I barely believed it when I first found out," she whispered, toying with her rather long sleeve and blushing slightly, "but James and I have always wished to be parents."

For some reason, April felt her heart sinking, and a strange emptiness deep down inside of her.  What's wrong with me? she thought, annoyed at herself.  But she already knew the answer.  She had always wanted-- had often dreamed of having a family one day.  Drew and her had often discussed the prospect, and smiled at the thought.  But that dream hadn't come true.  God doesn't have a family in store for us, she had found herself thinking before.  Or maybe-- maybe it's me.  I know Drew has always wanted children.  I've shattered his dream.  I've been a disappointment to him, she had thought.  At this thought, she felt herself drowning in the sorrowful depths of the sea.

~*~

Later, when Drew had returned home, April was sitting at the end of the table, her food in front of her, untouched, and a far away look in her eyes.

"Is something wrong?" he asked softly, once he had seated himself beside her.

April seemed to have come out of her deep reverie, and looked over at him.  "Oh, no.  Nothing is wrong.  I was just-- thinking, I guess."

He made no further comment, but served himself with the food at the table. 

After a quiet dinner alone, Drew placed the dishes in the sink, then turned toward April who was reading in silence by the crackling fire in the living room.  Once he had seated himself close by, he whispered softly, "You know you can tell me."

April bit her lip, and looked up from the book she couldn't seem to concentrate on.  

"I guess I'm just restless," she said, trying to excuse his question.  She dropped her eyes back to the book before her, and changed the subject to, "Did you hear the news?"

He cocked his head to the side.  "What news?" he asked.

"Jenny's to be a mother."

"Oh," he said, a grin curling about his lips.  "Yeah, I heard."

April merely nodded, as though dismissing the whole conversation with that.  But Drew wasn't easily put off.

"Has that something to do with it?" 

April couldn't help herself.  Gently, she closed the book and set it aside.  "We've always wanted children," began April, then paused.  "Well, I just-- it just seems odd.  Jenny's married later than I, and suddenly shows up, announcing she's going to have a baby.  I just-- I guess, I was just surprised, is all.  As soon as she's married, she's off, ready to have children.  She is young to be a mother."

"She's the same age as you," he reminded her gently.

April shrugged, and looked down at her hands that fidgeted in her lap.

"Is that-- is that what's been on your mind?"

April looked up.  "I guess, I just-- just have wished for children.  All my life, I've dreamed-- have always seen myself as growing up, getting married, and having a family."  Her words broke, and she dropped her eyes.  "I'm sorry," she whispered.  "I've been a disappointment to you, haven't I?"

Drew closed the distance between them, and knelt at her feet, looking up into her eyes.

"You could never be a disappointment," he said, gently intertwined his fingers with hers.  "We just have to let God's will be done.  Whatever he has in store for us, no one knows.  We just need to take it, one day at a time."

April sighed, resting her head on her knees.

"You're always right, you know," she said, smiling teasingly.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

I enjoyed writing this chapter, but felt heartbroken writing it, too. What are your thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jenny is having a baby :) YAY! haha thats sad. I am sure God wants them to be parents no doubt. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awwww! They are so cute together! I wanna have a boyfriend like that. Well, actually I do right now. haha! :) Wonderful chapter.

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another great chapter. I am in total love with this story. I'm anxious to see what happens next!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh my gosh, where to begin?

Well, first of all, April is handling Mrs. Carter's death very well. It's bringing her closer to God. Of course she's hurt, but that's completely normal.

I can't believe Jenny's going to be a Mom!

Drew is so sweet, it's not even right. You've made this couple very beautiful.

Amazing chapter, amazing book. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww!! Such a sweet chapter and Im happy for Jenny! Great write

Posted 12 Years Ago


So sad, but Yay for Jenny xD lol.. Excellent chapter(: Can't wait to see what happens next!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
6 Reviews
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on February 19, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.