26) Restless

26) Restless

A Chapter by Kelly M.

After the truth had been poured from April's soul, a new understanding blossomed between the two friends.  Thoughts and feelings seemed easier to share, and the special bond between them had deepened.  

 Every girl, like April, has dreamed of being a mother one day--has hoped for that chance-- that special moment when that treasured bundle of love is placed in your arms.  But April had to face that that day she had been waiting for just may never occur.  She knew that harboring her pain and heartache inside would not help matters any, and grieving over something she didn't have would not let it come to be.  She finally allowed God to take all that off her shoulders.  She finally trusted Him to do what He saw best.  She realized that every tear that had ever fell, God had seen, and every prayer she had whispered from her heart, He had heard.  

Each morning, instead of burying her head under the covers, April would open her curtains wide, filtering in the sunlight and hearing the birds chirp in harmony.  She was only too happy to see them again, filling her life with their pleasant songs she had so dearly missed.  

And even though, now, she felt calm and content and enjoyed the leisurely days of spring, she began to feel lazy and restless.  

She filled her days visiting Leila.  She'd swing open the padlock door, and would simply walk around the winding trails of the forest, Leila following her obediently.  She had now gained her trust, and followed her everywhere and anywhere.  She was a great comfort to April, and a good friend.

Or she'd write her parents.  She spent hours outdoors, rocking back and forth on her tire swing, writing them long, lengthy letters at the crack of dawn.  She always longed for their replies, and would strain her ears for the mailman's jolly whistling as he'd drop off their daily mail at the door.

Then she'd be busy doing her spring cleaning.  Though she remembered the inner complaints of disgust and contempt of her childhood tasks, she now enjoyed the extra work at hand.  And with one week until the expected arrival made April scrub even harder, knowing that she'd be rewarded later.

But even though she was rather busy with all the planning and preparations, and outdoor yard keeping, she still felt that she wasn't busy enough.  She was left feeling agitated.


Drew must have sensed her feelings for made an effort to arrive earlier in the evening so then they'd have more time to spend together.  April was touched at his consideration, and enjoyed the extra time they shared.  Still, she felt that something was missing-- that there was something else that God wished her to do except just be a housewife.  But what? she kept asking herself.  What else does He wish me to do?  


Her questions were answered by Jenny's familiar knock at the door.

After both were seated and sipping April's special tea made from the fragrant herbs of her garden, Jenny came right to the point.

"Have you heard?  There's a teacher's opening at the town school," Jenny said as though that explained her reason of visiting April.

"Really?" she asked, not seeming to understand her point.  "What happened to -- what's her name?-- Mrs. Foster, is it?  I thought she had enjoyed the position."

"Oh, she had," Jenny said quickly.  "The children were very sad to see her go, but her daughter, Lydia, had asked her to come out west to visit her.  You remember Lydia, don't you?  Well, it had been almost three years since she'd seen her, and I hear Lydia is expecting her first child.  I guess, Mrs. Foster felt led to go and see her after such a long period of separation."

April nodded with a seeming understanding, and was silent for a few moments before asking in curiousness, "Does she plan to stay out there permanently?"

"No one knows for sure," Jenny said, stirring her cup of tea, around and around.  It irritated April to such an extent that she was tempted to reach out a hand to stop her.  But Jenny was continuing, "Mrs. Foster says she wants to at least stay for her daughters' delivery, and that's supposed to be in six months."  Jenny paused for a while, taking a sip of her tea.  "And no one wishes to replace her, but the children do need a teacher-- at least temporarily."  A second pause.  "I thought you'd be the most suitable for the job."  

Silence.

Me, came the silent thought.  Me?  A teacher.  I probably wouldn't even be qualified enough to take the position.  


And what about the children?  Her thoughts continued on unconsciously.  They just may be bitter against me if I took their former loved teachers' position.  


And even if they did like me, it might be impossible to teach them simple facts.  It may drive me crazy trying to teach them...  And on and on, she got lost in her thoughts.

Jenny seemed to answer all of them.  "I just know the children would love you," she said, her excitement uncontainable.  "And, I'm sure you'd be qualified.  I talked to the school board, and they seem to agree as well.  Your grades have all been good, and--"  But April interrupted with a wave of her hand.

"Okay, okay," she laughed.  "I hear you.  Don't start anything though.  I'll have to talk to Drew, and I'm not even sure if I have the time or effort to put into my tasks here and at the schoolhouse."  She stopped, then said further, "Besides, with Kanika and Karver coming to visit, I'm sure I'd have no time to spare.  They're not going to stay very long, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible..."  With that thought settled in her mind, April felt that she already knew her answer.  She couldn't possibly miss a minute with her beloved friend and husband.

"No," she said slowly to Jenny.  "I don't think I'll be able to..."

"Wait, April.  I haven't finished."

April turned her eyes back on her enthusiastic friend who was nearly bursting with excitement.

"I've already come up with a solution about that, too.  When is Kanika to arrive?  The end of March, right?  Well, you have a week until then, and, after talking with the school board, they said they'd be glad to give you the week Kanika visits off-- it's the children's Easter vacation anyway," she hurriedly explained.

It was hard for April's mind to comprehend what she was saying.  It almost seemed like Mrs. Foster's visit to see her daughter was God blessing her.  It was like God's way of saying that she really could trust Him-- no matter what.  She had asked Him.  He had answered.  The least she could do is follow through with it.

April let it all sink in, then whispered, trying to keep her own emotions under control, "I'll talk to Drew about it tonight."



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
I'm excited for this book as I get closer to the ending, so your reviews are most important to me! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awwe that sounds like fun! :) I really am excited for this book.: I love April and Drew.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh my goodness! She's going to adopt a child from somewhere, I think... LOL! Anyway, you're such a busy girl writing an amazing novel. Wonderful chapter and book. It's warm and cute. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome! I love it, I hope you make a third book! Sorry about not reading lately, I've been a bit busy. Well done! I love it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


So, I have a question.

First of all, though, BEAUTIFUL chapter! Very sweet, very natural:)

Question: Are you going to make a third book? :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This chapter was soo sweet!! Great job! :}

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aww... she's gonna be a teacher! :D Great job!


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
6 Reviews
Added on August 29, 2011
Last Updated on March 4, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.