27) Reunited

27) Reunited

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Oh, Drew," she whispered mournfully, "what if they absolutely despise me?"

She was sitting in front of her bedroom mirror, pinning her fairly new hat securely on her head of chocolate brown hair that she had combed into a bun at the back of her neck.

"I feel so-- so foolish.  Like a young schoolgirl, going to school instead of teaching it.  I never have taught before.  I may be dreadful at it."

Drew came up beside her, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"They'll love you."

April smiled in spite of herself.

"And how are you so sure?" she asked, her eyes looking seriously into his.

"I just know so," he whispered, and kissed her softly.

April didn't whisper a word more as she felt herself being embraced in loving arms.

~*~

Though April enjoyed walking outside in the fresh, morning air, admiring the spring buds along the roads, or spotting a snug little nest in a nearby tree, today she didn't have the heart to.  She was much too fidgety over her first day teaching.  Drew had been a sweetheart, and offered to walk with her there, but April knew all too well that he had better things to do than try to comfort his hysterical wife.

When April spotted the schoolhouse she had remembered so well, instead of frolicking over to the playground as fast as she could run like she had done as a child, she stood stock-still, her heart pounding inside her chest.

She shut her eyes, trying to calm the butterflies that seemed to circle around in her stomach.

After a silent prayer, she took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and walked on down the hill where the children were playing a lively game of tag.

With a steady smile on her lips, she greeted them cordially, then, without another word, entered the schoolhouse.

She relieved her arms of her heavy books, setting them down on the chestnut colored desk, then hung up her sweater on the hook.  With a quick glance at the clock, she rang the bell, sending all the students clamoring towards their usual seats.

April stood at the front of the classroom, her eyes lingering over the faces-- some somewhat familiar, and others completely new to her.

She managed a friendly smile.  "Hello, everyone," she greeted.  "You may call me Miss April.  I'm going to be your new teacher temporarily.  Mrs. Foster, whom I'm sure you all remember, has gone to visit her daughter out west.  We're not sure when she'll be back, but while she is, I've been given the opportunity of teaching you."

April paused, unsure of what to say next, then asked, "Would you all mind giving me your names and grades, please?"  Then she pointed to the older boy nearest her with unruly brown hair, and a devious sort of grin.  "We will start with you."

He rolled his dark eyes.  "Carson Monahan.  Seventh grade."

She nodded in acknowledgement.  "Nice to meet you, young sir."

"It's Carson," he snapped.  "None of this 'sir' stuff."

April wasn't used to such an attitude of rudeness.  "Of course" was all she whispered, and turned to the next student.

~*~

With a heavy heart, April walked home.  It had rained, and the roads were slippery and muddy.  She stumbled along the way, her thoughts tumbling together.  Something inside seemed to be whispering her failure.

There were a few students in her class who had a true desire to learn and made constant attempts to solve their problems.  April had a feeling that someday in the future they would flourish.  They had a determination and intelligence that, April knew, no one could damper.

But many of the other students, particularly the older ones, only seemed to come because their parents had sent them, and hadn't allowed them to argue further about the idea.  According to Carson Monahan, school was a dread, and for feather-brained students who wished to fill their heads with stuff that would never be of use to them someday.  April had been shocked and longed to explain to him how very useful and valuable an education was.

Oh, why have I taken this job? she silently asked herself.  Was I being thoughtless of how undertaking the task would be?  What good would it be for me to be a teacher if most of the students don't even wish to learn?


But the soft, quiet answer pierced her like a double edged sword.  You're here to help them.  To encourage him.  To show them how important an education really is.  You can make a difference, but only if you're determined not to give up.


April was immediately ashamed with herself for almost quitting on her very first day.  Taking courage in the words, and, with a lighter step, she continued on home, just as the sun peaked its way through the rain clouds.

~*~

April couldn't admit that the days got any easier after that.  Each one was just as challenging as the first.  The disruption and quarrels in the classroom always kept April standing on her toes with a sharp eye on all of them.  

"But they really are dear children," she commented one day to Drew with a soft smile on her face.  "They're very good listeners, and, I have a feeling that they try as hard as they can to be well-behaved."

Drew had only smiled back at her, though inside he was tangled in knots.  He realized that April had begun to love these children-- as her very own.

~*~

Then Friday came.  April had been anticipating and dreading this day.  She was going to see her long lost friend.  It had been ever so long since the last she had seen her.  They had both been mere schoolgirls then, carefree and content about the world.  Now, they were both married, and making new lives.  April couldn't help wondering if she'd be different-- changed.  

"Well, I have no time to think about that," she said aloud to herself.  "This is my last day of school for a whole week, and I'm going to make a good impression on the children."

But the school day hadn't started out well.  Carson was extra irritating that day, first pulling little Ella's golden braids, tripping Anthony as he went to get a drink, then making paper airplanes with his history test, and flew them around the room, disrupting the others.  It tried April's patience, but she ignored him completely, focusing all her attention on the rest of the students.

When the clock had struck twelve o'clock, April closed her books, relieved that she had gotten through at least half of the day.

"You may all take a break for lunch," she announced, and there was a clamor as everyone pulled their lunch boxes from the bottom of their desks, and began munching hungrily.  But April realized, with a wretched heart, that Ella sat very still in her chair, looking around, watching the others, nothing in her arms except for her ragged doll that she carried with her everywhere.  April looked down at the meager amount of food she had brought along with her, and, with sudden impulse, stood, walking over to her, a soft smile lighting her face.

"Ella, would you mind doing me a favor?"

Her round blue eyes looked into hers as she answered timidly, "I'd do anything for you teacher."

April was too overwhelmed to speak.  


Though she never wished to play favorites, Ella had always been the quiet, sweetest student in her classroom.  Ella's mother had been a long ago classmate of April's, and each had lost contact over the years.  A lot had happened in the mother's life, and April knew Ella had a lot of responsibility on her shoulders as the eldest sibling of twins.  Her family was quite poor, living on hardly nothing, scraping for every penny they could save.  


Ella often came to class, her clothes ragged and her hair in a shambles, her doll (probably the only thing she ever owned) hanging limply in her arms.  But she always had a soft smile on her face that brought such light to the world.  She was always quick to obey with a kind, servant's heart, and April had loved her immediately.

April, without a word, placed her lunch box in the girl's small, rough beaten hands.

"I'm not very hungry at the moment, and I don't want to waste this.  Would you mind eating it for me?"

Her eyes grew wide, and she nodded quickly, then wrapped her thin arms around the teachers' neck, and whispered softly, "Thank you, teacher.  Thank you so much."

April's heart overflowed with her sincere gratefulness that she had to escape out the side door to hide the tears.  There, she curled herself up in her arms, and wept.

~*~

Later in the afternoon, Drew came to pick April up so they could walk to the station together.  They walked listlessly along the side of the road, each in their own quiet thoughts.  

Finally, April blurted, "Do you think she'll be different?"

Drew looked at her, his face rather surprised.  "Everyone changes," he whispered, "but the heart always stays the same."

Those few words found their way inside April's thoughts, and gave her an extreme amount of comfort.

He's right, she thought to herself.  I've been worrying all this time... Of course, Kanika will be a little different.  More mature and grown up looking, perhaps, but she, herself, won't change. 


A smile lighted her face as she continued on to the train station, just as she heard a low whistle, and then a large train came puffing its way down the tracks.  April, unconsciously, reached for Drew's hand.  He gave it a comforting squeeze.

Then the train came to a sudden halt, and April's heart did flip flops inside.

Passengers alighted, but none were familiar to her.  Then there was Karver, his brown eyes searching the crowd, and his broad shoulders heavy with baggage.  Once he spotted her, April without thinking, flung her arms around him.

"Oh, it's so good to see you!" she enthused, and quickly introduced him to Drew.  They shook hands firmly, then smiled at each other, as though they had just met their long lost brother.

But April kept glancing around, wondering where Kanika was.  Surely, she thought to herself.  Surely, there's nothing wrong... Nothing could have happened... could there?


She had no time being polite.  "Karver, has something happened?  Where's Kanika?"

His face was serious, but his eyes soft with joy as he stepped away, and, there she was, her dark hair falling about her gentle face, and her dark eyes brimming with tears.  She was still just as beautiful as she had always been.  But, immediately, April knew something was different.  Kanika lifted up her arms for her to see, and there, bundled closely beside her, was a delightful baby girl, her chocolate eyes looking innocently into hers.

"Oh, Kanika," she whispered as she gently touched the outreached, little fingers.  She couldn't say another word as they both fell into each other's arms, laughing, crying and holding each other close all at the same time.  The two friends had finally been reunited together.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

What do you think?

P.S. I know this is a long chapter, but I wanted to fill it to the brim with happiness and new adventures... and all that. :) Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kanika has a baby. :) ahah sounds such a loving moment. I see April having a blast with life and having struggles. But that's life. :) Nice write.

Honestly this Book inspired me that Friends are supposed to have fights but they mean everything. Oh my I love this book.

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG! I love Ella, she's so adorable. I want her as my own sister!! xD Anyway, I'm so happy that Kanika has a baby. She and Karver deserved to have a wonderful child. :) It's so amazing to see the life coming all together in April's days.

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ooh, so that's what Kanika and Karver have been doing all this time! xD I loved the long chapter. April's kindess touched my heart.

Ella is very cute. I wish more people could be like April and give her things that she needs. I'd be interested to learn more about her. And about Carson, who seems like a lovable little troublemaker. :D

I did cry a little, which proves you're an excellent writer. I loved this, and am reading the next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aww.... Kanika has a daughter! Awesome xD

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter!! It was sweet and loving and even made me want to cry a little!! Great job!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a sweet chapter! I hope April is able to have a child one day. She'd make a wonderful mother. Great ending, too. Keep me posted!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
6 Reviews
Added on September 1, 2011
Last Updated on March 4, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.