1) Blessed Sunshine

1) Blessed Sunshine

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Shafts of fallen sunshine caressed the softly rolling hills, scattered in its scented flowers, kissed by the wings of the painted butterflies.

April let her gaze sweep over the earth, a smile warming to her cheeks.  Summer had arrived.  The refreshing days of spring were pushed aside, and, though greatly missed in her heart, the sunny days of summer were welcomed.

Gentle footsteps approached, and a tall, handsome figure drew up beside her.  She smiled, leaning back on her tire swing as her eyes indicated her happiness.  

No words were spoken between them.  Nothing needed to be said.  Their hearts were both mingling together in a soft, quiet silence, both whispering their happiness and joy through their understanding eyes.

~*~

"For me?" April whispered, her fingers running over the soft cotton.

Jenny's smile brightened, and she nodded again.

"I really should be getting around to baby clothes, shouldn't I?"

"Oh, there's no pressure to rush," Jenny responded with a wave of her hand.  "There's still six, long months ahead."

"Sometimes I wish time would fly a little faster," she admitted, smiling.

"I know the feeling," laughed Jenny.  "You wish and hope and coax, but it still seems like life is at a standing point."  She reached to give her hand a gentle squeeze.  "Don't worry.  Sooner than you know it, that little one will be bundled in your arms."

April couldn't keep the smile from her blushed cheeks.  "Drew is so-- so proud.  He keeps telling me to take it easy, and slow down, making sure I don't do this or that."  April stopped, laughing merrily at her comment.  "I feel so lazy, unable to lift my hand at any task."  She sighed.  "I do wish there was something that I could do."

"In the meantime, you may just have to take up your knitting," teased Jenny.  "It seems that's the only thing I can possibly do to the approval of James," she laughed.  "He's so protective, he is.  I have to remind him that I'm not the baby."  Though her tone was teasing, her eyes smiled at his considerate care.

"Well," she responded, "I'm appreciative that Drew hasn't yet taken over my garden.  I think he understands how much it means for me to water and plant them, weeding and coaxing."

Jenny smiled.  "And how is your garden coming along?" she asked, taking another sip of her iced glass of lemonade.

April's eyes immediately took on a whole new shine as she began to explain in her enthusiastic delight.

~*~

No sooner after April had sent her letter of jubilation to her parents a few months ago did she immediately receive a reply.  April kept it in the pocket of her apron, reading it over whenever she had the spare time, cherishing its words.

My dear daughter,

The thrill of becoming a mother, and the delight your father and I share in being grandparents!  So many memories are wrapped into that bundle that you will soon hold close in your arms.  Hold them dear.  Treasure them always.  They're moments that can never be relived except in the heart and mind.


I still remember those long ago days of raising you.  Such a boisterous, carefree girl you were.  So content about life and living it as though in a fairy tale.  Though your days of learning and growing never came without some pain, I can tell you that you always remember the love over the pain.  The joy is always deeper than the sorrow you feel.  And the hope is always greater than the impossible.


Then her mom had gone on to tell of all the happenings up north, eventually finishing up with:


I hardly know how else to conclude this letter.  We love you both, and look forward to that future day when you begin your new blessed journey as parents.


Love always,

Mom and Dad


April's soft, blue eyes misted.  Treasure the memories, her heart echoed.



© 2014 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What are your thoughts on this first chapter? I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing it! :)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a great start Kelly! Be careful with the adjectives you pick though an dmake sure you don't use the same ones too often. You used the term "understanding eyes" twice in close proximity of each other. One with April, and than another with Jenny...
"Their hearts were both mingling together in a soft, quiet silence, both whispering their happiness and joy through their understanding eyes."
"Jenny smiled with understanding eyes."
Both were well written sentences you just used the same adjective when describing the eyes. I also believe you used immediately a few times as well.
Okay, enough of the picking apart. Lol
This was a beautifully written chapter, and the letter April's mom wrote was so sweet and thoughtful. I am looking forward to reading more of this book. Great start Kelly!! :)



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm impressed. You managed to keep my attention, and this isn't my typical read. I'll move on a few more chapters and give a full review. :) Sadly, I don't have the time to read the entire book, but if it's captivating enough, I may have to make time. We'll see.

Take care, and talk soon!
--Christoph

95/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


Interesting first chapter, like your style, also like how you ended this with a letter, anyway I will definitely read your other chapters as well

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kelly M.

11 Years Ago

I should let you know, though, my poems are all a bit rusty. It's definitely not my strong point, a.. read more
Nick.B

11 Years Ago

I see...okay
Kelly M.

11 Years Ago

Haha, yeahh...
You are a great writer !

Posted 11 Years Ago


hwy......great work...
hey..have u published ur's any sort of book in market..?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your descriptive work is excellent, but the story's pace is a little too slow for my liking. Still, what appeals to one doesn't appeal to all - and vice versa in my case. Will check out further instalments later.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great discriptions and dialogue. Your style reminds me of Beverly Lewis. Great start.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good start; this story invites and then captures the reader's attention with colorful images and beautiful sentiments. Storyline and flow work very well here. At first I was concerned about no introduction to the storyline conflict, yet I think this happens in the mother's letter, if so that's a nice way to present it. This is good writing in every repect, can't wait to see what develops in the next chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


i just finished reading the first chapter,,and it really catches my attention...

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is great it is so nice that they are having a baby. Great start. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a great start Kelly! Be careful with the adjectives you pick though an dmake sure you don't use the same ones too often. You used the term "understanding eyes" twice in close proximity of each other. One with April, and than another with Jenny...
"Their hearts were both mingling together in a soft, quiet silence, both whispering their happiness and joy through their understanding eyes."
"Jenny smiled with understanding eyes."
Both were well written sentences you just used the same adjective when describing the eyes. I also believe you used immediately a few times as well.
Okay, enough of the picking apart. Lol
This was a beautifully written chapter, and the letter April's mom wrote was so sweet and thoughtful. I am looking forward to reading more of this book. Great start Kelly!! :)



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1007 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 30, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2014


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


5) Miraculous 5) Miraculous

A Chapter by Kelly M.