2) Discovery

2) Discovery

A Chapter by Kelly M.
"

A new character :)

"
The following months were practically unbearable in April's opinion, confined in her dismal surroundings.  There weren't any responsibilities to follow or some sort of routine to stick with as she had been so accustomed to.  Her busy teaching days were now in the past, and she was left reminiscing in her lonesome hours.

Her gaze shifted again out her window where the sunshiny outdoors beckoned her in its simplistic beauty, sparkling with its color and light.  With renewed determination, she set her knitting aside, rising to her feet.  She swung open the door, welcoming the beautiful day as rays of sunshine caressed her upturned face.    


Abruptly, she unlatched the padlock door where her high-spirited mare, Leila, anxiously pranced about, her ebony coat gleaming in the sunlight.  With a toss of her sleek, long neck, she eagerly cantered into freedom.  April laughed and watched her as she pranced about in her playful manner, nickering in her delight.


Then she ambled over to the meadow, gathering her arms full of the lovely summer flowers that bloomed along the hillside.  After her arms were full to the brim in their vibrant colors, she skipped over to the stream, Leila trotting behind her obediently.  But as soon as she neared it, Leila reared back slowly, her eyes searching, and her ears back.


"What is it, girl?" she whispered softly, confused by her unusual behavior.


Then she heard a small whimper.  Her eyes glanced wildly about, and then fell on the shaggy haired, sopping wet body, lying slumped on the marshes of the riverbank.  She let out a little gasp, then dropped to her knees.


April gathered the frail, little thing close to her heart, and sighed with relief when realizing it was still alive.


Her flowers lay scattered carelessly about, but April scarcely noticed as she hastened towards the house, her heart clutched in fear's grasp.


"You stay right there," she instructed the bewildered horse as she rushed inside for a warm blanket.


The poor, little thing, was her first thought as she wrapped the pup's shivering body in a soft, cotton blanket, and immediately started a fire crackling.  I'm surprised it's still alive, nearly drowning in the river.

  

Maybe it was a miracle.  It certainly appeared to be one for, shortly after, two sleepy eyes blinked open, and April felt a soft, warm tongue against her hand.  She smiled down upon the entangled curls of fur, noting the odd-looking floppy ear of the dog.


"You sure are a funny looking sight to behold," she laughed, and scuffed his fur playfully.  "Don't you have anyone to look after you?" she asked him.  "Well, you certainly are a scruffy little thing," she told him teasingly, then quickly added, "though I do believe with a good bath, you and I will get along just fine."


~*~


And, so saying, Scamp became a member of the household.  He was a disastrous creature as Drew would say, and was certainly mischievous, but a fun-loving, little rascal besides. 


At first, Leila was quite frightened and perplexed by this unknown scampering creature, and appeared quite upset when realizing she wasn't the center of attention anymore.  It wasn't long, though, until the two 'sniffed each other out,' Leila snorting her seeming approval.  From then on, they were as the best of comrades, romping around like wild beasts.  April could only watch and shake her head at the two of them.


~*~


"It looks like you have your hands full," laughed Jenny as they sat together on the porch, watching the young pup with amusement as he was running hightail after a disoriented squirrel.


She laughed, nodding her head.  "He certainly is a rascal as Drew says, but does seems to like it here.  I really enjoy the extra company."


The two were silent for a moment, drinking in the tranquil silence.


"The leaves are already changing color," commented Jenny.


April shifted her gaze, enthralled in the majestic colors of the leaves, once in a while drifting to the ground by a cool breeze.  It was amazing how the time had flown, almost unrecognized.  Then she turned once again to her friend in sudden remembrance.  "November, isn't it?"


Jenny flushed, and her eyes brightened as she lovingly touched her swelling abdomen.  "November the twenty-fourth," she responded, smiling softly.


"You must be so excited."


April didn't have to say the words.  The joy expressed on her face was more than enough.  "Every mother is," she whispered.



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Your honest opinions on this chapter, please. I'll most likely go over and edit it more later... the plot is beginning to come in order, but I still have some questions lingering. ;) Please be straightforward with me. That's all I ask for. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another wonderful chapter. I hate to give advice, but since you asked, here goes.
I might have reworded your first sentence. Maybe something like: April, in her dismal surroundings, found the following months practically unbearable.
In the second sentence there should probably be a comma between follow and or.
When it comes to the use of commas, I'm the worst, so I'd check up on that last bit.
Wonderful style.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly M.

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reviewing! I haven't written this in five years, and it's good to see it's be.. read more
Yes! Thus enters the storyline conflict just as I thought it would, and so smoothly too! No, I'm not priding myself on my reading ability, it's all about the writing. You promised an interesting plot in the first chapter and then delivered right on time in this chapter. Bravo! Writing is all very good here, no issues... If I had to be very picky I'd say watch out for paragraphs that all look about the same size... Excellent job! And now for the next chapter...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hmm, nice write : )

Posted 12 Years Ago


First off, the dog sounds so cute and the name you picked suits him very well!
Secondly a few grammatical errors (easy to fix!)
"welcoming the beautiful day as ray's of sunshine caressed her upturned face." You don't need the apostrophe in 'rays'
"He was a wrecking havoc as Drew would say," You don't need the 'a' between 'was' and 'wrecking'.
"Leila snorting her seemingly approval." You don't need the 'ly' in 'seemingly' it should just be "Leila snorted her seeming approval."
That is my only things that I saw that needed fixed. Other than those few minor things this chapter was excellent. I am anxious to read more!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the puppy :) please write more

Posted 12 Years Ago


Love it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awwwww! This book is becoming a great series. I can't wait to read more. The plot is perfect and I love the way it's developing. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awwww! Great chapter! I'm looking forward to seeing more of the dog:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


The dog sounds so cute!! Excited to read more!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

556 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2011
Last Updated on December 27, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..