7) Changes

7) Changes

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April had imagined how painful the separation would be, but she never knew how hard until the final day came.  The children crowded around their mother for a last good-bye, tears trickling down their faces, their eyes stricken with pain and hurt, begging her not to send them away.

April watched the scene, heartbroken, an eerie feeling knotting up in her stomach.  Life was taking a big step in a whole other direction-- starting today.  


Then, before turning to follow the others out the door, April looked back once again at her dear friend, looking pale against the brightness of the bed quilt.  She hardly knew what else to say-- how to bid her farewell.


"Don't worry about a thing.  We-- we'll be just fine."


Lillian only nodded, and April, in her reluctance, turned to leave.  


As she gave the protesting door a last resolute tug, closing it securely, April felt that a chapter in her life had closed with it.  Now a new one lay ahead.


          ~*~


April couldn't help the fluttering in her chest as they neared home.  Home, April's heart sang.  She was going home.


~*~


"Well, this is it," she said softly as the children stood, baggage held limply in hand, looking about with large, curious eyes.


"It's-- it's not much, but we-- we hope you like it."  She, then, quickly added, "I'm afraid we have no extra bedrooms.  It's rather small, I suppose, but I'm sure something will work out for now."


The three did not reply, and began to set down their belongings when an excited bark interrupted them.  A little ball of fur bounded into the room, and pounced on April's shoe, tugging at the hem of her dress, begging her to play.  


April chuckled, reaching down to scoop him into her arms.


"This is Scamp," she informed them, scuffing his fur as she did.  "He's playful, but he won't bite."


The look on the children's faces turned from surprise to delight.  Ella was the first to reach out a loving hand to fondle the tresses of fur.  Scamp's tongue licked her hand, already seeming to make a friend with the newcomer.


A soft sparkle illuminated her blue eyes, and April felt that Scamp had helped bridge the tension in the room. 


~*~ 


"Oh, Drew," she whispered as they tucked in the blankets on the sleeping children that night, each laying side-by-side by the dancing flames of the fire.  "This isn't going to be as easy as we thought, you know."


Drew nodded.  "It will take some time for them to get used to the change."


"Change," April whispered into the quiet darkness.  "Everything they've been through... all the changes-- and-- and, now, this.  You'd think it would be unbearable."


"They're brave little youngsters."


She nodded, looking upon three year old Kate, her thumb in her mouth, as she slept on soundly, her twin brother beside her, his forehead creased in a frown.  Even though he was far off in slumberland, his face still expressed his anxiety.  


Then her eyes wandered over to Ella, her comforting arms about her two younger siblings.  She had been a little angel as soon as April had met her in her classroom not too long ago.  Her laughter and smiles had brightened up the cruel, hated world, showing only love and kindness to everyone around her.  Now, April looked at her, a weighty responsibility on her shoulders.  She was merely six years old at most, and already had to carry such a burden.  April could only imagine the hurt and pain upon her tender heart.   


"Drew," she whispered softly, "these children need us.  Really need us.  And now more than ever.  I have no doubt it will be difficult in the future, trying to raise them, care for them.  But," she added quietly, "what they really need, most of all, is love.  They're all alone, Drew.  They need to know they're loved."


Drew pulled her close against him, only the sound of the crackling flames interrupting the silence between them.  She knew that her words were understood.


~*~


"Look!" April heard the childish cry of excitement.  She shifted her thoughts from their dinner preparations to acknowledge the chubby finger, pointing out the window.


She smiled, and proceeded towards little Jonathan, kneeling down to his small height.


"Yes, that's a cardinal," she said, her gaze out the window, and upon the flittering, red wings in the treetops.  "Pretty, isn't it?"


Jonathan did not reply, enthralled in his newly discovered creature.


April felt a moment of encouragement swell within her, being it was barely the only words the boy had spoken since arriving in his "new home."


Then there was a clatter as Ella joined him.  She motioned her hands to small Kate who sat rigid on the sofa, a blank expression on her face.  April felt her heart sink once again.  The little girl had avoided the guardians who took her in, and never had spoken a word to them, not even her own siblings.  She barely ate a bite on her plate, always looking out the window, her eyes seeming to beg for her mother to come to her and take her away from her lonely prison.  She had set a protective circle around her, not letting even her siblings enter it.  She was alone and hurt in the world, often breaking into sobs for no obvious reason, or waking in the middle of the night from a nightmare.  April had wished many of times to just gather her in her arms and promise her everything would be alright.  But the sullen child would turn away from her, and bury her face in her arms, shutting out the world, leaving everyone else lost in how to break her shell.


April turned away and back to her kitchen where she was preparing a batch of molasses cookies-- a pastime she had always enjoyed.  She longed for when Drew would return.  Her days had grown more difficult with three children to cope with, encourage, and try to show them her love, and prove to them that she was not one to be feared.  She was simply thankful that each day she faced she was not alone.



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Well, what do you think? :)

I've already written Chapter 8 and have gotten a good start on Chapter 9, but I want to wait and see what you think about this chapter first. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this chapter. I'm sorry that I haven't reviewed in a long time. :/ I'll be reviewing when I can though. I'm a very busy person. Anyway, the chapter was very dynamic. The plot has grown since the beginning of the book. I feel so bad for the children.

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is such a sad chapter. Im suprised shes doing this all with her own little one on the way.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aw, I like it! Isn't April pregnant?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another good chapter! I'm glad she is making progress with some of the kids... and hopefully she can make some progress with the last kid. Scamp sounds so cute! Reminds me of my own puppy when we have visitors over. Can't wait for you to post more! Send me a read request when you do :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love it too keep writing more please

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is a great chapter! i love your writing. i can't wait to read all the other chapters! keep writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

565 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2011
Last Updated on November 19, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.