8) Broken

8) Broken

A Chapter by Kelly M.

There was still an eerie tension that lingered and lay heavily, like a dark, gloomy cloud around them, suffocating the very air they breathed.  Days had passed and turned into weeks, yet the children seemed reluctant to accept their surroundings so freely-- so easily, and give up what they had left behind.  They still longed for their mother, and missed her terribly.  April understood their pain, but she wasn't sure how to ease it.

So, feeling they needed her support in some way, she'd take them on walks to their mother's home, nestled in the depths of the forest.  Their pattering feet crunched against the mossy floor, blanketed in the freshly fallen leaves.  The birds twittered in the treetops, and, above, the sky stretched in a glorious, robin's egg blue.  April enjoyed the walks, but when coming to the curve in the road, looking up at the distant shanty, her heart sank in a looming fear.  She still worried for Lillian, and prayed for her constantly.  As soon as arriving, her eyes would probe the doctor for some answers, to see if she was faring any better than her last visit there.  But just a glance at his face was enough to silence her tongue.  It was obvious there was still no change.  But even in the deepest ruts of her despair, April forced the troubling thoughts away, and looked on the brighter side. 

Miracles are not impossible, she'd remind herself constantly.  God healed the lame, and made the blind see.  I must not give up hope, now.  I must cling to my faith.  Nothing is impossible.  Nothing.


That was enough to keep her going, and keep her prayers persistent.  She knew that someday, somehow, the Lord would save them from this calamity.  He had done so before, and He would do so again.

But, for now, she had other problems on hand.  A reluctant family to enter their loving circle.

 

~*~

"Hasn't Kate ever spoken to anyone?" April asked one morning as she watched Ella delightedly sprinkle chicken feed about the chicken coop.  The chickens squawked contentedly as they fed, their baby chicks gathered around their gangly legs.  Ella, who had taken on a few of the barnyard chores, smiled as they clambered about.  The "chore" had become an anticipated event.  The chicks were what had really caught Ella's interest.  She'd cuddle with them fondly, and giggled as they waddled around playfully.  They had brought joy and laughter to her eyes, and April was glad to have thought of the arrangement.

As the question was queried, Ella looked up, looking rather startled.  She glanced downward once again, shifting her feet uneasily.  "Ever since Mama got sick she--" She paused.  "Well, she doesn't speak no more," she replied simply.

The teacher within April wished to silently correct her grammar, but she held her tongue, wrapped up in her softly spoken words.  It seemed like there was no hope left where small Kate was concerned.  She was determined to shut everyone out without a care in the world.

April's shoulders sagged at the troubling thoughts that swirled within, then lifted once again at the sound of the cardinal.  She smiled at its joyful song.  Her thoughts switched to Jonathan.  How he loved the birds.  Truth to tell, he loved any animal under the sun.  He and Scamp had formed a special bond as the days had passed, and April often caught him chattering to him, as though he understood his childish tongue.  Scamp, though completely bewildered, would merely bark in response, and snuggle up against his side.  That was enough for Jonathan.

Her thoughts lingered, then were interrupted as Ella held up the empty feeding pan proudly.  "All done," she said, her eyes sparkling.  "They ate ALL of it.  I think they were very hungry," she said seriously.

April smiled, retrieving the empty pan.  "Well, now," she said, "why don't we go inside and get some dinner on the table before Mr. Carter comes home, huh?"  

Ideas had circled for what the children should call their "guardians."  They hardly thought of 'Papa,' and 'Drew' sounded much too personal, so they had decided, somewhat reluctantly, on 'Mr. Carter.'  Though not very attached to the idea, Drew accepted it without comment.

April snapped back to reality as Ella, nodding excitedly, made a dash for the house.  It seemed April's guides on a few teaching techniques had kindled Ella's interests, and April couldn't help the smile that played about her cheeks.  Her spirits were lifted.  She had a loving husband, and beautiful home.  And now-- well, now, she had a family.  Maybe a temporary one, but a family, besides.  April glanced down at her swelling abdomen, and realized it was undoubtedly time for the three of the children to know about the new addition that would be coming to the household.  April wondered how they'd take it.  Would they be excited for the newborn, or feel put out with its coming?  April hoped they would be just as overjoyed as she was for its arrival.

Then, thoughts pushed aside, she skipped merrily behind, a lightness to her step and a new song in her heart.  God was good.

~*~

The meal had been cleared away, and Drew was easing himself into his favorite chair by the fire, his worn, black Bible spread out on his lap.  Ella approached him a bit tentatively, looking at him with curiosity.

"What's that?" she asked him quietly as she sat cross-legged beside him, peering over his shoulder. 

Drew's eyes shifted from the pages to the expectant child.

"Don't you know?" he teased her, tugging her braids playfully.

Ella smiled.  It seemed Drew had broken the hesitancy in her question, and she answered with a determined shake of her curls.

Drew's face turned serious then.  "Well," he responded, "how about I tell you one of the stories in this Book?"

Ella's eyes brightened, and Jonathan, who must have overheard, jumped up excitedly.  "Me, me!" he begged.  

Drew laughed.  "Yes, you too."

Kate didn't respond, but reluctantly joined the other children as they seated themselves cross legged on the floor, Scamp sprawled out beside them.

So, Drew settled down to read them the story of how the world had begun.  "In the beginning," he whispered, "God created the heaven and earth...."  His hands moved in a wide circle to include the whole earth, and the children's eyes widened in fascination.  He continued on. 

Soon, April, who had overhead the familiar story being told, found herself leaning against the living room doorway, her hair disheveled, and a dishtowel in her hands, listening to his soft, firm voice proclaim the glory and work of His hands.

Every once in a while, there was a pause in the story as Drew explained, and the children asked him a series of questions which he answered patiently.  Kate did not speak a word, but her eyes did seem to hold a new light which brought renewed hope to April's spirits.

"Everything?" they'd asked him.  "He made everything?"

And would continue with, "Birds?"

"Smiles?"

"Scamp?"

"Dishtowels?"

"Ears?"

"Bugs?"

"Rainbows?"

And he'd nod his head in firm reply.

Then came in a mere whisper, "Me?"

He laid his hand upon Ella's head of curls, and nodded.  "You, too.  And Jonathan and Kate and everyone and everything."

Their faces were still creased in bewilderment, but insisted him to read on.

Then he came upon where Eve was about to be deceived by Satan.

All eyes widened and Jonathan whispered unbelievingly, "The snake talked?"

Drew and April had to suppress their smiles, but Drew nodded.  "Satan was kind of like magic, you see, and he could make himself turn into a snake and talk to Eve."

He continued, "You see, once, Satan was an important angel in heaven.  There were many angels in heaven and they were all good and obedient.  But he was different.  He turned jealous against God, because He had all the power and glory in the world.  He wanted to be more powerful than God.  So, do you know what happened?"

They shook their heads vigorously.

"He fell from heaven, because of his evil in the sight of the Lord, and other evil angels, demons, followed after him to be part of his army.  And he went about the earth to be harmful to man."

"So," he continued, "he turned himself into a snake to go talk to Eve."

His eyes fell back to the black Book where the story resumed.

Ella interrupted with a little gasp.  "She listened to that evil snake," she said gravely, shaking her head at her terrible deed.

"Yes," Drew responded, "and, because of her sin-- and later resulting in Adam's sin, they were banned from the Garden of Eden forever."

"Forever?"

"Yes.  Forever."

"That's sad.  It was nice there."

"Yes, it was very nice there, but they had sinned and deserved to be punished."

"It's a sad ending," Ella sighed.  "I like happily-ever-afters."

Drew reached down to pull her close onto his lap, responding, "It doesn't end there, Ella.  It continues on and on and on until the very last book of the Bible."

"It must be an awful long story," she gasped, her eyes wide.

He chuckled.  "Yes, it's a long, long story.  A very important story, too."  There was silence, and then was interrupted by the clock on the mantle as it struck nine o'clock.  "My, my!" he exclaimed.  "It's way past your bedtime.  You head off to bed, now, and we'll read more tomorrow, how's that?"

Their eyes brightened as they nodded their agreement, then scooted off under their welcomed covers.

~*~

"Oh, Drew," April whispered that night in the softness of the dark, "I've never seen them so excited over anything before."

"They certainly enjoyed it, didn't they?" he said, chuckling softly to himself.

"You know," she said softly, after a slight pause, "I think this is what did it.  The final thing to break the tension, the hesitancy."

He nodded and pulled her close against him.  

She sighed deeply.  "Maybe the coming days won't be as difficult.  It took just one simple thing like that, Drew, and look.  They seem closer to us than ever before."

He smiled, but it was shadowed by a coming thought.  "Just remember," he whispered to her softly, "they won't be staying here forever.  We'll have to give them up sometime.  We better not let ourselves open our hearts too freely.  It would only be more painful for all of us if we would."

His softly spoken words startled her, yet seemed to jolt a feeling of unwanted reality into her heart.

He was right, she knew that.  The change would be painful if that love was discovered and held dearly, then broken apart from again.  The children didn't deserve another heartbreak, and could hardly bear another one.  And April-- well, she knew, deep down, she couldn't bear it either.  Yet, already, she knew that she had become attached to them.  She loved them as if they were her own.  And, at that moment, it seemed impossible to let them go. 

She stifled the tears.  All the joy from that evening had been broken.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think? :)

Please, do be honest with me. Do you think it's too-- what's the word-- emotional? I do want this book to be absolutely perfect, and that you enjoy each minute of it. :)

Please review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm so glad I've read this; it's about time I did. Forgotten how lovely this story line was(:

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved this so much! It isn't too emotional. It's the right emotion for this book. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Really good and it wasnt to emotional. I love the part where he reads to the bible and how they a surprised by what happens it like they was opened to a whole new world. Keep writing more :)


Posted 12 Years Ago


It's really good! I love the part where she "glanced down at her swelling abdomen." It's so sweet. It reminds me of my sister-in-law. C: Oh, btw! She had her baby yesterday! Madelynn Joy. C: Great chapter, Kelly! I don't think it's too emotional at all! C:

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the children. They are so adorable. Once again another excellent chapter Kelly!

Posted 12 Years Ago


First off, this is another really great chapter! And it is definitely not too emotional! Emotion in stories is a good thing and you did a fantastic job with it.

I have one critique for you in your very first sentence "There was still an eerie tension that still lingered and lay heavily, like a dark, gloomy cloud around them, suffocating the very air they breathed." You used the word 'still' twice very close together. I'd choose another word here just to make the sentence flow a little smoother.

That is my only critique of this chapter. Everything else flowed smoothly and your characters were once again portrayed very well. Can't wait for the next chapter to be posted! Well done :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was a genuinely sweet chapter. I loooved how he told her the story in the bible. One thing I must say that I don't think I've said--you are WONDERFUL at writing about children. You portray them so correctly, so innocently. I'm captivated by it.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 22, 2011
Last Updated on February 27, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.