13) Good-bye

13) Good-bye

A Chapter by Kelly M.

It wasn't until dawn had broken its way into the shadows, illuminating the sky, did April finally appear from the sickroom.

Lillian's children had been ushered outside, where Drew was attempting to keep them entertained.  Their attention, however, did not seem easily diverted from the window where their mother lay, already lifeless against the pillows.

April stood, looking out of the curtains in quiet thoughtfulness, her figure unrecognized by the children, who were now laughing up at Drew in response to one of his jokes.

She heard heavy footsteps approach her, and then gently pause.  It was Doc, April instantly recognized.  He followed her gaze out the window, whispering not a word.  April felt her heart soften towards him.

Dear Doc, was the quiet thought that entered her mind.  His heart is probably just as broken as mine feelsFor, indeed, he had loved Lillian dearly.  What untiring care and devotion he had shown towards her.


Her thoughts were interrupted by a soft "You should tell them".

April wheeled around, meeting his serious eyes, shadowed from his inner anguish.

He turned then, beginning to walk away, then half looking back, he explained in a broken whisper, "I think they'd take the news better-- coming from you."

~*~

Drew had retreated from the children long enough to go seek out April.  He found her on the window seat.  She hardly looked up where he stood, gazing upon her inquiringly, deep concern puckering his brow.  Before he could hardly get the question from his mouth, April had nodded her head the affirmative. 

He joined her where she was seated, and it wasn't long before she felt herself in his embrace.  She felt some comfort-- some understanding.  And her heart felt lighter from the heavy burden that she was carrying.

"Would you like me to tell them?" he asked her gently.

She shook her head against his chest, then pulled away, looking up into his eyes.

She longed to escape.  She longed to be anywhere but where she was.  But no.  She had to do this.  It was her duty to her beloved, lost friend.

"No," she whispered firmly.  "I-- I best tell them-- alone."

He understood, and let her go.

April breathed a prayer of guidance, and, gathering up her courage, she stepped outside.  It would be the hardest thing she would ever do.

~*~

Rays of sunlight shimmered down through the large maple tree, resting upon where their mother was being gently lain in the cold dampness of the underground soil.  

The small crowd hovered around the grave, a tear once in a while slipping down a cheek, as Doc's words, quiet and gentle, pierced the silence of the brisk November afternoon.  

Then, wordlessly, Ella moved forward, placing the meadow flowers, which she and the twins had gathered that morning, atop the grave.  Straightening up again, she whispered something which April mourned over later, "Good-bye, Mama."

And, then, she turned and stumbled her way down the grassy hillside, not once looking back.



© 2013 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:'(

I'm not sure if I'll leave the chapter this way-- I may go over and change/edit over a few things. As for now, I just wanted to post it and find out your thoughts. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad you didn't let us read about her telling them. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Honestly, I'm glad we didn't get to see her tell them. I feel that even though this is a book, that is something that should be private. Still, this chapter was vivid, and amazingly written. Keep it up:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think you did a great job with it! My suggestion would possibly be to add a scene where April tells the kids what happened to their mom just so the reader can see their emotion and feel their heartbreak.
A few grammatical errors I thought I would show you,

"illuminating the sky, did April finally appear from the room." I would replace the word 'did' with the word 'that' It sounds much better and helps with the flow of your first sentence.

"There attention, however, did not seem easily diverted from the window where their mother lay," You have the wrong 'there' spelled in the very beginning of this sentence. it should be 'their' Don't worry I tend to mix up all the 'theres' too!

"Her thoughts were interrupted by a soft "You should tell them". You should have a comma after 'soft' and make sure your period is inside the quotation marks :)

I thought the chapter was well done and I really enjoyed reading it :) I hope you write more soon and I will be sure to read it when you do!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
3 Reviews
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2013


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.