14) Changes and Surprises

14) Changes and Surprises

A Chapter by Kelly M.

A door creaked open hesitantly, and then there was the gentle pattering of feet across the darkened room, pausing where April and Drew were sleeping soundly.

There was a slight stirring as April's eyes suddenly blinked awake.  She sat upright, shaking her befuddled brain, trying to comprehend what had awoken her in the middle of the night.  Her eyes slowly became accustomed to the darkness, and she recognized Kate's slight frame, her big eyes filled with terror.

"Kate," she whispered in the night, surprised.  "Is something wrong?" she asked, reaching out to her.

Kate pulled away from her grasp, hesitating in her reply.  "I-- I had a scary dweam," she said in a mere whisper, her voice trembling.

April felt a surge of sympathy overcome her, and, straightening to her feet, she quietly led her from the room as in an attempt not to awaken Drew.  She seated her on a kitchen chair and poured her a glass of milk.  Kate soon had stopped her trembling, and, taking a seat opposite of her, April took her little hand in her own.

"Would you like to tell me about it?" she asked.

Kate immediately left her chair to be welcomed in April's loving arms.  She stroked back her hair, listening to her as she spoke.

"There was this place with this-- this big mean lady.  She had b-black eyes," she whispered against her.  "You left us alone there on the-- the street.  We were all alone th-there, and the scary lady took us to stay there fo'ever.  She didn't like us.  She was mean to m-me.  I'm scared."  

April felt her heart go out to the little girl, but she could hardly speak to assure her that her dream wasn't to be feared.

Kate's downy head lifted, so that her frightened eyes were gazing into hers.  "Are you gonna take us to that place?  Will you send us 'way?"

April hugged her closer to herself.  "No, Kate," she whispered.  "You and Ella and Jon-- you're here to stay."

And Kate asked softly, "Fo'ever?"

April nodded.  "Forever, sweetheart.  Forever and always.  I promise."

~*~

In the days to follow, the three youngsters seemed to embrace their new home and family with a newfound love and acceptance.  They had changed in some way-- a way in which April couldn't quite put her finger on.  She wasn't able to understand what was happening in just a few short days. 

She, who had thought them to be emotionally fragile, and the pain of their loss too overwhelming to bear, was rather unprepared for the reaction she received from them.  Or more of how they hadn't reacted.

They did seem more quiet-- more thoughtful.  Yet unusually different.  They asked questions-- some April felt inadequate in answering appropriately.  It always had to do with their mother, and the new world she had been lovingly welcomed into.  They seemed so full of wonder, brimming with questions, always seeking answers.  And the three siblings had become closer to each other-- caring and loving one another more strongly than ever before.  And they did not weep bitterly, but smiled in bright countenance, seeming unaware of the dear mother that had passed on without them.

April was mulling over this as she seated herself by the fireside, her needle soon sliding in and out of the soft fabric nestled in her fingers.  She had a few spare moments before she would have to prepare supper for Drew's return, and was taking a rest in her day's routine, following the doctor's strict orders.  While she did this every late afternoon, she would take up her knitting, determined that when her little one entered her world, it would have some proper clothing.  

There was a slight lull in the rhythm of her task, as her eyes fell to the living room floor, where the children were romping around with Scamp, childish laughter often interrupting their play.

She was about to take up her garment again, when she was interrupted by Jon, who asked her suddenly, "Do you think Mama likes it in heaven?"

April's head jerked up, gazing into Jon's candid eyes.  April could hardly begin to reply before Ella piped in with, "Are there animals there?"

"Ya," shouted Jon, adding, "like bugs and thickens and snakes?"

Kate gave him a look of surprise; soon turning to fear.  She cast an inquiring look April's way.  "No snakes," she cried shaking her heard.  "Are dere?" she asked, her eyes wide with horror.  Then, continuing in exceeding alarm, "Will dey bite Mama?"

April's knitting had already been quickly set aside.  As she opened her mouth to assure the three of them that there certainly weren't any vicious snakes in heaven that would have the audacity to bite innocent children, the door was suddenly flung open.

April glanced up, bewildered.  James stood there, and, as soon as his eyes had met hers, he began in a frantic rush, "Jenny's in labor.  The doc is out of town, minding a patient."  His voice sounded panicky, and his eyes deep with concern.  April could hardly comprehend what was happening.  "You have to come," he was continuing.  "I--I'm afraid that something will happen..."  His sentence trailed off, his hand running through his hair, a gesture of agitation and nervousness.  His eyes looked into hers, imploring her for assistance.

April was already on her feet, though seemed stock-still in the middle of the room, as were the three children, wondering how on earth their inquiries of snakes had turned into this.  Her mind was whirling with thoughts.  "I-- I've never delivered a baby before," she breathed.

"You'd be far better help to her than I would be," he insisted.

April was finally able to force her wooden legs to move, as she hurried to grab a light shawl.  "Oh, but--"  She stopped, and turned toward the three, looking up with wide eyes of confusion.  "Would you mind watching them for a while...?"

"'Course," he said, shuffling his feet impatiently.

She nodded a "thank you," then disappeared out the door.  As soon as she had stepped outside, her stride was quickened, and, soon, she had broken into a sort of sprint.

Oh, Lord, her heart cried, please.  Please, help me.  I hardly know anything about-- about delivering a baby.  Jenny will be so disappointed if she loses this one-- her first child.  Oh, Lord, help me.  Guide me.  Show me what to do.  I can't do this alone.  And her soul lifted in a plea of bitter agony at what she would face over the grassy incline.



© 2014 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
There certainly was a lot to add to this chapter! I'd like to ask you some fun and serious questions to answer in your review. ;D

1. Was there anything you saw to fix/edit? Was everything in order?
2. Was this chapter unexpected/sad/fun to read? Did you laugh/smile? ;D
3. What are you expecting to happen in the following chapters?
4. Who's your favorite character so far? ;)
5. Would you like me to add anything to this book or future chapters?

~Reviews are greatly appreciated~ :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well little Kate is adorable and I'd hate for my husband to miss my labor, but I understand my favorite character is April or Kate

Posted 11 Years Ago


1. Nope. Everything was fine:)
2. I didn't expect the cliffhanger at the end. I am excited to see what happens with Jenny!
3. I can't say!
4. Everyone in the whole book! I love Ella the most though. :)
5. Probably more of April, Drew, and maybe some minor characters.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1. Nope:)
2. Totally unexpected at the end. Hoping the best for Jenny!
3. I have no idea after all this! :)
4. I love them all.
5. More April and Drew!

Posted 12 Years Ago


'April felt a surge of sympathy overcome her being, and, straightening to her feet, she quietly led her from the room as in an attempt not to awaken Drew. She seated her on a kitchen chair and poured her a glass of milk. Kate soon had stopped her trembling, and, taking a seat opposite of her, April took her little hand in her own."
This paragraph had a few errors in it... I will point them out for you, so you can fix it. I don't think you need the word 'being' in your very first sentence. It messes with the flow a little bit. You also don't need the comma before the word 'and' both times that you used the word.
"led her from the room as in an attempt not to awaken Drew." You don't need the word 'as' in this phrase.

"The Doc is out of town, minding a patient." His voice sounded frantic, and his eyes deep with concern." I think you need to put 'his eyes were filled with deep concern' It makes a little more sense and helps the flow of your sentence.

Other than these things I did not see any other grammatical or spelling errors. Just be careful with comma usage and don't use it before the word 'and' if it is not needed.

Anyway, I loved this chapter and I am glad that April got Kate calmed down after her nightmare. You are doing a great job with the story so far and I am looking forward to more chapters. I hope everything goes alright with Jenny and the baby and that April will be able to figure things out when she gets there. Let me know when you have more posted! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 26, 2012
Last Updated on February 5, 2014


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.