We're only human

We're only human

A Story by kmarie596
"

Trying to be political but really just expressing my feelings. I'm only 17 so please give it a read and tell me if you think I should carry on and finish it. Critisism and comments appreciated

"

We’re only human

Intro

If you set out to read this, not a care in the world and an optimistic outlook on life, stop. It’s full of negativity and opinion.
     I wouldn’t describe myself as a pessimist but this is basically my way to rant about life and all the things in life that really tick me off.
     So enjoy, or not, but this is life in the eyes of a 17 year old girl.

 

Chapter 1
In my opinion

Being a 17 year old girl I don’t claim to know much about politics. In fact, I don’t know anything at all. However I do know that I’m meant to have a dislike for David Cameron, Ed Miliband, etcetera, etcetera, and why should I not. Not one to believe everything I hear I only pick up a few of their, ahem, brilliant ideas, one of which being the university fees.  One to dwell, yes, after all it does involve me and it did tick me off let’s say. Plus growing up in quite a secluded, highly opinionated area, my parents are to thank for my pessimistic views of the government and basically everyone above my social stance, i.e. everyone who isn’t living on benefits and doing drugs. Well, not quite that low I’m glad to say, but it’s not easy.
     I know it’s hard to take my view seriously since I’ve only been around for a mere 17 years; I haven’t experienced much, seen much or even began to live my life, in fact I don’t even remember about 5 years of my life so far, but I think that’s what we’re missing in the world, not just an upper class, complicated view but a more, dare I say, simplistic view.
     People take life way too seriously. Period. That’s basically what I’m writing about. We are, in most cases, the most intelligent organism in the world, but we’ve grown to lose our animal instincts and let our creations take over our life. For instance, I’m sat at a wireless laptop, Facebook open, watching a flat screen TV, with my smartphone next to me, accusing humans that they’ve  lost touch with nature,  and believe me when I say, I’m not complaining. Well, not for my selfish ways, but I wouldn’t be choking on technology if it wasn’t shoved down my throat in the first place.

 

Chapter 2
The Worst Invention so far

‘This is a hard one’ I said rolling my eyes. Of course there can only be one winner. I know there has been many, even uncountable useful inventions of man since the day we grew a brain cell, but in my opinion we’ve started running out of ideas. To make money we kind of just develop on technology that is already out there.
     Having a scientific state of mind I spend most of my time asking questions; then figuring out the answer. I question everything. I tell myself I’m meant to be a scientist but I think I’ve just never grown up, asking questions a three year old would ask; ‘why is there wind?’, ‘how deep is the sea?’, ‘where do babies come from?’…. but in all honestly my main question in life, in which I don’t think I will ever find an answer to is why have we let money control our life? In other words, the worst invention goes to (drumroll) money. Yeah, I know.
     It’s hard to explain my utter hatred, but utter love for money. As I guess is the same for anyone, well anyone that doesn’t have the ability to buy friends.
     My hatred basically derives from the fact that I have no money. I’m skint. I live on a council estate on Gleadless and have done for 17 whole years. We have never had the money to move. I’ve also never been abroad; which, with the standards of today, is quite a rare thing. We’ve just never had the money, and when we finally saved enough my parents decided to have another child… (No, I am pleased, well most of the time anyway).
     On the other hand though, you can’t help but love it, love to have it; the crisp notes, finally a thick wallet, it’s inevitable to not want money. The saying is that ‘money is the root of all evil’, it’s true. My basic take is that money=power and power makes people make crazy choices. It can’t be a coincidence that the people with most power, most fame in the world are the ones that have a private jet waiting in the front garden of their dream house, beautiful women they’ve slept with waiting in Porche’s  and Mercedes’, oh and their family stood far, far away in the background. But that’s just a theory, right?
     Anyway, money. Love it or loathe it, it’s one of the most important things we possess. It shouldn’t be, if you want the opinion of a teenage girl, I think we have let money control us, The world has begun to revolve on an axis of rolled up 20 pound notes. I ask myself if anybody else thinks or sees this, the pound or dollar signs I see in people’s eyes, do all young people see the world this way? Should people my age even be questioning this? Probably not actually, but I think it needs to be known. The problems faced in adult life are beginning to affect and even scare young people, with every decade a younger and younger age dragged into to complications of life. Children should be able to live how a child should, without cost or complications. Less children are venturing the outdoor life because small things such as travelling every day is becoming too expensive, but a large sum of money used to buy a games console can, unfortunately, last years. Of course, nobody has to agree and only being at the age I am my opinion probably doesn’t matter or can be seen as wrong. I may have a different aspect on life. I haven’t experienced it yet so I don’t know what the real world is actually like, but you need to think that one day your children could think like this. Do you really want to pass all your troubles, all your bad experiences onto your children? But, after all, it is just an opinion.

 

Chapter 3
Animal instincts

The basic animal instincts are to eat and drink, sleep and reproduce, just like the average teenager really. Humans are animals, why have we developed to overcome our instincts? More and more women aren’t even having children, choosing a career over family. I don’t oppose this; I actually praise it, girl power right. But it just proves we’ve overcome our basic functions of life.
     Of course we still have our overly competitive instinct; we kill to be the best. Not as in a pride of lions; males fighting to the death, but we do whatever we can to rise to the top. Honestly, if I manage to get to university, I will be the first in my family. But just look at what I’m doing to rise to this status. Eleven years at school, two sets of exams, 12 GCSE’s and finally winding up at college’s front door on my knees. I’ve already done a year at college, pending on my second set of results and it’s a big jump. Kids, GCSE’s are basically a piece of cake, I didn’t get all A’s of course, in fact I only got one but I didn’t try, I wish I did though. I’m a bit off topic, but basically I’ve dedicated 12 of my 17 years to education, why? To earn a living, to not be seen as a lowlife, to make my parents proud, the list is endless. But the overall result is to earn money and try squeeze my way from a council estate resident to a well off citizen. For some reason, I believe this is possible.
     We’ve also kept our, ahem, ‘reproductive urge’ let’s say, but again this is used so, so wrong. People becoming famous for sleeping with someone, I just won’t go there. But this gives them an easy pathway to power and it just leaves me speechless really, I have nothing positive to say. Especially when people are working hard to gain status and the (excuse the stereotyping) bimbos, who probably drop out of school after sleeping with a teacher, somehow manage to gain a type of authority. Flooding ‘news’ papers with images and pathetic stories.
     As for eating a drinking, we’re the experts. No honestly, no other animal manages to completely rid of a whole species just for its meat. Food, this is where I rant. The price of food. In the next two years, I’m going to have to battle life while in university; today, I have 20p in my bank. How am I meant to pay for the extreme costs of living at present? I could find a cheap place to live, not drive, don’t travel too far but food will be why I’m skint. I eat my parents out of money now, paying for it by myself, I won’t know when to stop; chocolate, microwave meals, deserts. When my friends go out drinking I’ll be sat eating a tub of ice cream crying that I’m poor.
     The world’s scary, and expensive. ‘I remember when Freddo’s were 10p’ a phrase lots of people my age use, however my mum remembers when bus fare was a mere 2p, for a student it raises to a pound next year, I can’t afford this, nor can about 80 per cent of teenagers. We can’t work, we’re still working towards getting a job, not all of our parents can afford to buy their little princess a pony to ride to school on. But, of course, it’s just an opinion and nothing will be done about it because there’s a reason for this ascend, the value of money.

 

Chapter 4
It’s not all doom and gloom

So far I have taken quite a cynical approach towards life. I promise however it’s not all doom and gloom. I spend most of my days happy as do people in the world, a very small amount of people, but people none the less.
     Humans have finally begun to suspect that we are the cause to quite a few problems. An example global warming, a phrase to be used carefully but the planet is heating up. What are we doing? We’re speeding up this process through emissions from our development. Small bit of geography for you there. We’re beginning to see our ways though, recycling, using fewer emissions, and generally trying to fix the world again from the broken mess we’ve made of it. That’s about all I can say.
     We tend to realise our problems and even without trying to fix them we stand back and congratulate ourselves for figuring it out. A bit controversial I know, but until the evidence is set in stone, I still anticipate, but I am definitely ready to be proved wrong. The one time I, as a woman, will be happy to admit that I was wrong.
     Whilst in conversation with my dad the other day I mentioned that people were getting smarter. Wow. He wasn’t happy about that, but he did make the point that we aren’t, life is just getting easier for young people. I have to admit; he made a good argument and proved me wrong. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, like I mentioned, I ask questions. When I don’t know I Google. In present day more children Google answers to homework questions before asking their parents. Think whatever you will about this but my mum and dad don’t know the answer to over a billion questions. This is positive in the fact that IT is an essential skill and younger people are learning how to use the internet correctly. Of course I will say that we’re being taken over by our technology, but it’s a useful invention and computers are an everyday aspect of life now, it’s taken over learning how to ride a bike, at least we won’t forget. However, this doesn’t affect exam results. Exams are mostly a test of memory, if someone can remember a detailed explanation to an answer from the internet then good on them, it makes it no easier, no harder; except all those distractions on the World Wide Web that call our name.

 

Chapter 5
Social Networking

Facebook. Now I’ve said it you’re probably thinking about how many ‘friends’ have messaged you and how many notifications you have, none I’m sorry, except that one game request from that person you met that one time. Facebook though, I mean come on. Why is it every time we log on to a computer or check our phone for the time, our little network friend calls our name and captivates us; to read pointless, depressing statuses by people we’ve never even spoke to, or pictures of amazing nights out where everyone’s there, except you, then you’re forced to write about how depressing your life is. Well only if you’re one of those people. I myself, am not. No, my social time is dedicated to twitter I’m ashamed to say. I just can’t get enough of reading the lives of these perfect people I will never meet. It’s just a way to escape the nonsense you hear from the people who surround you and listen to the same crap from someone hundreds of miles away.
     Twitter, it also gives you the completely, not at all stalker like ability to read a celebrities day to day routine in less than 140 characters. Whose idea was this, I mean it’s absurd, wait…Jack Dorsey in 2006. Thank you Google. It has become such an icon and amenity (I say with hesitation) in quite a short time, I mean less than a decade, how long did MySpace last for?
     Social networking is another human invention gone too far. It’s destroyed the simplicity of a telephone call, or even going to someone’s house to ask if their coming out, at which point it’s hard for them to say no, try it. We’d do well to break out of this habit, or, at least, just cut down slightly.

 

© 2013 kmarie596


Author's Note

kmarie596
Please leave a rate and review
What do you think to the style? Is it too negative? Is the humour too forced?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on June 14, 2013
Last Updated on June 14, 2013
Tags: non-fiction, political, opinion, humour, serious, life, feelings

Author

kmarie596
kmarie596

sheffield, yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
Hi, i'm 17 and thought I'd give a go at writing. I love poetry and reading so thought, why not? Please read my stuff and tell me what you think more..

Writing
Dear Dad Dear Dad

A Poem by kmarie596