Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Wrong Place, Wrong Time

A Story by Katherine P. Haley
"

Maggie Connelly was on a business trip that she expected to be normal. That expectation was proven wrong when she happened upon a major crime.

"

NAME: MARGARET CONNELLY

AGE: 28

OCCUPATION: CRIME NOVELIST

 

“Yes, Janet. I understand that I have a deadline. It’s just… I hate the ending that I have right now. It needs to be fixed,” Maggie Connelly said to her agent. “Yes, fixed to something that is actually good.” Maggie was making her way towards the parking lot of the building next to the one she had been in. She had previously had a bad experience at a book signing in which her car was keyed, so she had parked far away. Some people just didn’t like what she wrote. Since the car she was currently using was a rental, Maggie had to take extra precaution.

            As she was only partially listening to Janet’s rant, Maggie started to dig through her purse looking for her keys. Realizing that she needed both hands, Maggie changed positions so she could hold the phone between her cheek and her shoulder. While muttering a few, “uh huh”s to her agent, she continued to search her black hole of a purse for the keys she was now doubting the existence of as she walked.

            I swear, if I left the keys back in the book store… Maggie thought. Finally, her fingers touched the metal of the key ring. She hooked it on her finger and pulled the keys out.

She felt a small sense of victory at the finding of her keys, but the moment of happiness was quickly taken when she tripped. Maggie’s phone flew from her shoulder and landed on the concrete with what was sure to be the sound of it cracking. Maggie wasn’t worried about her phone, though. She was more worried about why she was now covered in blood and lying on a lifeless body.

Maggie pushed herself up shakily, hands slipping only slightly in the pools of blood surrounding the woman. The woman looked to be in her forties with blond hair, but Maggie wasn’t actually processing those facts.  She tried to tell herself to move, but she couldn’t. She tried to tell herself to check and see if the poor woman had a pulse, but she knew that that was pointless. Maggie was frozen in a deserted parking lot, covered in blood, on her knees in front of a dead body.

Maggie eventually got her arm to move as she used her hand to thoughtlessly push hair from her face, leaving smeared blood in its place. Maggie looked around her partially familiar surroundings, searching for someone… anyone that could help. No one, which she found very strange. But what she did see was that the police station was across the street. It wouldn’t occur to her until later how odd it was that someone would leave a body in the parking lot across from a police station in the middle of the day.

Maggie got to her feet and thanked the Lord she was wearing flats. She quickly made her way across the street and opened the heavy doors. There was no officer at the front desk so she pushed into the room where most of the police worked at their desks.

When she burst in, everyone looked at her in surprise. She managed to sputter out, “Body! Body in the parking lot! There’s a body in the parking lot across the street!” A wave a wooziness hit her and she said before falling to the floor, “I just thought you should know…”

 

NAME: DR. NATHANIEL DAVIS

AGE: 35

OCCUPATION: FBI BAU SPECIAL AGENT

 

A bloodied young woman ran into the precinct as Dr. Davis and his team were working on the profile of a suspected serial killer. The unsub had killed at least five woman in their early forties, all with blond hair. He had done this by bringing them to mostly abandoned parking lots and then slitting their throats and wrists. Dr. Davis and his team were still attempting to figure out how the unsub was succeeding at this, but a basic profile had been made. They suspected the unsub was a white male in his late thirties to early forties whose mother had most likely killed herself at the age of the victims by slitting her own wrists. The unsub was most likely a quiet man who would go unnoticed unless he wanted to be noticed.

            Dr. Davis and his colleges were discussing this when the young woman ran in. “Body!” she shouted. “Body in the parking lot! There’s a body in the parking lot across the street!” Before collapsing to the ground, she said, nearly inaudibly, “I just thought you should know…”

            When she fell to the ground, Dr. Davis moved quickly towards her. “Nobody move her,” he directed. Dr. Davis is not a medical doctor, but most of the time, he knows what he’s talking about. Davis carefully inspected her, soon realizing that none of the blood was hers.

As he looked after the young woman, Davis heard his unit chief, SSA Alex Reynolds, give order for some of his team and police officers to go investigate the girl’s claim.  They moved quickly to the parking lot across the street.

Davis asked for a wet towel and once he got it, he carefully cleaned the blood off of the woman’s face. Her eyes opened slowly in confusion and then widened when she remembered what happened. Dr. Davis helped her get up and move to a chair. He made sure she was okay and then left to join his team without asking for her name or introducing himself.

 

NAME: ALEX REYNOLDS

AGE: 49

OCCUPATION: FBI BAU SPECIAL AGENT; BAU UNIT CHIEF

 

Reynolds quickly led his team and other officers to the site of the latest murder. The scene was just as expected: the blond woman was lying on her back with her legs together and her arms spread to the sides. Both wrists were slit, along with her neck. Her eyes were glued open. Just like the other victims.

            Reynolds called the Crime Scene Unit in and then turned to talk to his team, minus Davis. “This was done by the same unsub,” he said matter-of-factly. “He’s getting braver; taunting us by leaving the body across the street.”

            “But why?” SSA Samuel Times asked. “Is he wanting us to catch him? Or is he trying to say that he’s beat us?”

SSA Caroline Porter shook her head. “I don’t think it’s either of those. I think the unsub has a need to be known. There has been little to no media coverage and I think he feels under appreciated. This isn’t a taunt, it’s a cry for recognition.”

The team agreed. Right then, Dr. Davis joined them. “Was this done by the unsub?” He asked.

Reynolds nodded and said, “Yes. It appears that everything was done in the same manner.” Reynolds knew that they wouldn’t know for sure that the woman was killed in the same manner as the others until the coroner’s report, but he felt waiting on that was pointless.

“So, the young woman,” Reynolds said, “do we think she had anything to do with this. Maybe she was part of the unsub’s way to reveal his kill? A bloodied woman running into the police station would be a big media hit.”

SSA Henry George crossed his arms. “I don’t believe that she had anything to do with it, but I do think there’s a possibility she knows something. Since, she’s the one who found the body, she’ll need to be interviewed anyways.”

“Okay,” Reynolds said. “Henry, you take the lead.”

 

NAME: MARGARET CONNELLY


Maggie sat in the chair in the police station not knowing what to do. She was too flustered to even think to ask for a set of clean clothes and everyone else was too buzzed about the body across the street to ask her about wanting new clothes. So, there she sat still covered in the blood of another person.

            She stared at the door, waiting for someone to walk in and explain to her what’s going on. Her wish was soon granted when a group of three men and one woman walked towards her. Maggie searched the faces for the man who helped her up, but didn’t see him.

A gentleman who appeared to be in his mid-fifties with dark brown hair walked up to Maggie and introduced himself as Agent George. “I’d like to ask you a few questions, if you’d follow me? Oh and here’s a set of clothes to change into." George handed Maggie a pair of jeans that were a size too big and a t-shirt. He let Maggie change in the bathroom into the new clothes and then he led her to an interrogation room. She couldn’t help but think of how she’d never seen one in real life, only on TV and in her own books.

“Please, sit,” George said, gesturing to a chair opposite himself.

Maggie sat slowly, feeling a little nervous. She refused to show it, though. She kept her face flat and her body language confident.

George folded his hands in front of himself. “So, Miss, would you like to tell me your name?”

“Sure,” Maggie said. “Margaret Connelly.”

“And, Margaret, how old are you?”

“Twenty-eight,” she replied.

Maggie saw slight surprise in the agent’s eyes. People were usually surprise when they heard her age. She looked a lot younger than she actually was and she knew to enjoy that.

“Can you tell me how you found a body across the street from this police station?” the agent asked.

Maggie nodded. She proceeded to tell the agent of the moments leading up to her tripping and then what happened before she ran across the street. George nodded along to her story.

George then opened a file folder in front of him and pulled out five pictures and laid them in front of Maggie. She looked at them, not reacting to them much. This was only because she had seen many pictures like this, due to her line of work. A dead body in a picture was nothing compared to one in real life.

 

NAME: HENRY GEORGE

AGE: 54

OCCUPATION: FBI BAU SPECIAL AGENT


When George pulled out the pictures of the previous victims, he expected the young woman Margaret Connelly to react to them with at least a little horror or surprise. She did not display either of these emotions. Instead, she looked at them calmly and then looked up at George.

            “Do you recognize any of these woman?” George asked.

            Margaret shook her head. “No, but they are laid out just like the woman I found. You know that, of course.”

            “Can I ask you a question?” George asked. He proceeded without waiting for a response from Margaret. “I’m just wondering why these pictures don’t seem to make you uncomfortable. Can you tell me why that it?”

            “Oh,” Margaret said. “Well, I’m an author. I write fictional crime stories. I do a lot of research on the topics I write about, so I’ve seen many pictures like this before. If you want to look me up, search for ‘Maggie Connelly.’ You’re bound to find me somewhere on the internet.”

            “Okay,” George said, “just one more question. Do you know anything about these murders that you are not telling me?”

            “No,” Maggie said. “I wish I could help you more.”

            George nodded. He got up from the table and said, “If you’ll excuse me for a moment.” He walked out of the interrogation room, leaving Maggie alone with the file.

            He met Reynolds in the back room that looked into the interrogation room through the one-way mirror. “She’s telling the truth,” George said. “I think we can let her go home and get cleaned up. She’s had a hard day.”

            Reynolds agreed. “Okay, but in one moment. Watch this.” He directed George’s eyes to Maggie. She had reached forward and grabbed the file with the coroner’s reports in them. She looked at them and George saw a look of recognition on her face. He then noticed that she seemed to be trying to remember something. When the look on her face disappeared, George was unsure of whether or not she had remembered what she was trying to remember.

 

NAME: MARGARET CONNELLY


George left Maggie in the room by herself and she couldn’t resist snooping a little, even though she knew they were watching her from behind the mirror. She grabbed the folder file carefully and pulled it towards herself. She read the coroner’s report thoroughly. She saw things she knew, like the slit throat and wrist. But then she saw that all of the victim’s had ligature marks around their ankles. Normally, this information wouldn’t be so shocking, but Maggie realized that she recognized this method of killing. She’d read about it, but she couldn’t place the name of the serial killer who had previously done it. Then it hit her: Abhinav Chahal. An Indian serial killer from the late 1700s.

            Agent George walked back in and Maggie stood up and handed him the file. “I think I can help a little in your investigation.”

She walked out the door and gestured for George to follow her. He did, along with another male agent. She walked to a dry erase board and picked up a black marker. Now there were three male agents and two female agents around her.

“What’s this about?” A dark skinned agent who looked to Maggie to be in his late thirties asked.

“Hi,” Maggie said. “What’s your name?”

“Agent Times,” he said.

“Okay,” Maggie said with a smile. “Agent Times, I’m going to give you guys a history lesson that I don’t think you know, or at least have connected this case to because I see nothing on your boards to do with it.” Maggie paused, partially for effect. “Have you all ever heard of the Indian serial killer by the name of Abinav Chahal?” They all shook their heads and Maggie was pleased that they didn’t know yet. “Okay,” she said. “I’m going to draw you all a picture.” Maggie then proceeded to draw the outline of a body in the shape of a cross. She drew a straight line through the neck and both wrist of the drawing to show where the body was cut. She then drew two lines across the drawing’s ankles to show where they would have been tied. “Look familiar to anyone?”

“Yes,” the blond female agent responded. “Just like the recent victims. Are you saying you think our unsub is a copycat?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Maggie said. “There’s only a few differences in the victimology, including race, because Chahal’s victims were Indian, but age and gender is the same. Also, he left the bodies in streets, not parking lots like the unsub. Which can be expected because parking lots didn’t exist in the 1700s.” Maggie wrote the similarities and differences on a t-chart next to her drawing.

The agents seemed impressed by her contribution. When Maggie was putting the cap back on her marker, the agent that helped her to the chair previously ran up to them.

“Guys, guys,” he said. “I think that our unsub in a copycat killer. There was an Indian serial killer who murdered 84 woman before he supposedly died between the years 1780 and 1802 named Abinav Chahal.”

 

NAME: DR. NATHANIEL DAVIS


Dr. Davis had been doing research when he came across an article about an Indian serial killer that had strong resemblances to their unsub in victimology and manner of death. When he discovered this, he ran to find his team. When he saw them he said, “Guys, guys. I think that our unsub in a copycat killer. There was an Indian Serial killer who killed 84 woman before he supposedly died between the years 1780 and 1802 named Abinav Chahal.”

“We know,” Agent Reynolds said. “Miss Connelly here just informed us about him.” Reynolds gestured to the brunette young woman who wore a big smile on her face.

It took Davis a few moments to recognize her as the woman who had run in earlier covered in blood. “Oh,” is all Davis said.

Agent George introduced them to each other, “Maggie Connelly, this is Dr. Nathaniel Davis. Davis, this is Maggie Connelly.”

Maggie reached her hand out to him and said, “Doctor? Very nice fancy title. Of what?”

“I have a PhD in mathematics, engineering and chemistry,” Davis explained. He noticed for a second that Maggie was very pretty, but only for a second before his mind went to the mental profiling he can’t help but do to everyone. He found the smile odd, but figured it was a defense mechanism, mostly because the emotion in her eyes didn’t match the rest of the face.

George then introduced Maggie to Agents Reynolds, Porter, and Jackie Monroe, the team’s communication liaison. She shook their hands politely.

“Miss Connelly,” Reynolds said, “thank you very much for your assistance. We appreciate it. You may go home now.”

“Okay,” Maggie said. “Except my keys and my car are both in a crime scene right now so… I mean, I guess I could walk.” Davis knew she wasn’t serious about the walking.

“Nonsense,” Reynolds said. “Davis can take you home.” Agent Reynolds pulled keys out of his pocket for an SUV and tossed them to Davis.

“Of course,” Davis said. “Come on, Miss Connelly.” He started to lead her out of the police station.

Davis saw Maggie smile and she said, “Please, call me Maggie.”

“Oh, okay. Well, in that case, you can call me Nate,” Davis said as he opened the door for her.

Dr. Nate?” Maggie asked with her voice slightly deeper than normal.

Davis didn’t connect that she was joking right away. “You can if you really want to,” he said in all seriousness.

Maggie laughed and said, “I’m kidding. Just Nate sounds good.”

 

NAME: ALEX REYNOLDS


With Miss Connelly’s information that she shared, Agent Reynolds and his team added a bit more to their profile. Now, they figured that he had to have a knowledge of Indian History and could even be younger than what they had previously thought. Age is the most difficult to predict.

            The team decided that they were good to present the profile and did so. After the profile was presented to the police, Reynolds sent Agent Monroe to give the profile to the public.

            Reynolds turned to Agent Times and said, “Call Barton and ask her to search for anyone in this area who has degrees in history or criminology, but doesn’t work with that degree.”

            “You got it,” Times said. He pulled out his phone to call their tech analyst Phoebe Barton. “Hey, hun,” Times said on the phone. Reynolds heard Times ask Barton to do as he requested. Times hung up the phone and said, “She’ll call when she finds something.”

 

 

 

NAME: PHOEBE BARTON

AGE: 37

OCCUPATION: FBI TECH ANALYST FOR THE BAU


Barton was twirling one of her pink pens around when the call from Agent Times came in. “What can I do for you, handsome?” She asked flirtatiously.

            “Hey, hun,” he said. “I need you to look something up.” He told her to search for anyone in the Cedar Falls area who had a degree in history or criminology who wasn’t using either of those degrees in their field of work.

            “That’s a lot of people,” Barton said. “I’ll cross match them with people who have criminal records.” As she was talking, her fingers were typing furiously on the key board. “I’ll call you back when I find something.”

Barton hung up the phone and continued to search. Finally, she came up with three names: Scott Baker, Richard Davidson, and Gregory Williams. They all had criminal records, the first two for breaking and entering and petty theft, the last for many things including allegedly killing the neighbor’s cat. She knew that had to be their guy.

Barton quickly called Times and he put her on speaker phone. “Gregory Times. He’s thirty-four years old, has a Bachelors degree in history and killed his neighbor’s cat when he was twenty-one, among other things.

“Great, Barton, can you get us an address?” Agent Reynolds asked.

“Sure thing,” Barton said. She quickly pulled up an address and told Reynolds.

“Wonderful,” Reynolds said and the phone was hung up.

Now Barton had to wait. The worst part of her job was the waiting.

 

NAME: ALEX REYNOLDS


“Porter, Times, you come with me to Williams’s house. George, find Davis and Monroe and tell them what we’ve learned,” Agent Reynolds directed.

            Agents Porter and Times followed Reynolds to an SUV. Porter retrieved the keys and gave them to Reynolds so he could drive.

            “So what’s the plan?” Porter asked. “Are we just going to knock on the door and hope he confesses to murdering six women?”

            Reynolds shook his head. “We are going to approach this calmly and try to bring him in without much fuss. If he stays true to his pattern, another woman won’t be taken for another week, so we shouldn’t have to worry about hostages.”

            Porter was doubtful. “And you think he’s just going to be lounging around his home? I think with the recent stunt he pulled, a woman will be taken sooner than usual.”

            “I can’t be sure, Caroline,” Reynolds said starting to feel a little annoyed at her doubt. “We have no way to prove he is our unsub, so for now we do as I have planned.”

            They rode the rest of the way in silence. When they eventually reached an apartment building, they got out of their SUV and made their way up to the third floor.

            Reynolds knocked on the door and said, “Mr. Williams? It’s the FBI, open up.” When no answer came, he knocked again. “Alright,” he said.

Reynolds stepped back and let Times kick open the door. The three agents entered the apartment with their guns drawn. When it was gathered that the apartment was clear, they met in the middle.

“It looks like he hasn’t been here for weeks,” Agent Times said. The apartment was a disaster, but what gave it away was the cereal bowl sitting on the table that was growing mold. Also, the closet in the bedroom was nearly empty and all the food in the fridge was at least a week past its expiration date.

They searched the apartment for more clues. What’s this, Reynolds asked himself as he picked a notebook out from under a pile of trash. He read what the page it was open to said and made his way quickly to the door. “This is our guy,” Reynolds said as he handed the Porter. The notebook had the names of all six victims written in it with X’s next to all of their names except the last.

 

NAME: DR. NATHANIEL DAVIS


Davis took Maggie to get a new rental car and then followed her to her hotel to make sure she arrived safely. He then made his way back to the police station. When he arrived back, George told him that Reynold, Times, and Porter were on their way back from the unsub’s house. Monroe had already given a picture and the name ‘Gregory Williams’ to the media and told the public that if anyone knew where he was to let the police know. Soon, the tip lines were ringing and ringing. The only problem was that useful information was difficult to come by.

            There was nothing they could do until they had a lead of where to find Williams. Davis feared that maybe the only way they would find him was if another body showed up.

           

The next morning, Davis called Maggie’s hotel to see if she was still doing okay. An unfamiliar voice answered the phone in her room. Davis was caught a little off guard but recovered quickly and asked, “Is Maggie there? This is Dr. Nate Davis from the FBI.”

            “No,” the woman said. “Her agent called me earlier, I work here at the hotel, because Miss Connelly had not shown up for her book signing this morning. FBI? Is she in trouble?”

            Dr. Davis didn’t answer the woman’s question. “Thank you, ma’am. Let me know if you hear from her,” Davis said. He gave the woman his phone number and hung up.

            He walked over to Reynolds and said, “I think Maggie Connelly is missing. She didn’t show up for a book signing she had this morning and she’s not at her hotel.”

            “We’ll look into it, but Williams couldn’t have taken her. She’s too young and doesn’t have the right hair color,” Reynolds responded. “I’m sure she’s fine.”

            Davis was still worried that Williams might have taken her. She had been the one to find his last victim. Maybe Williams was scared that she saw him. Davis didn’t know what it was about this girl that made him worry about her.

            The team sat around the police station for that morning and into the afternoon, looking into some of the tips. Barton called in and said that she had found an old house about twenty minutes from the city that was in Williams’s father’s name.

            “That’s where he has to be,” Reynolds said. “We need to go there now.”

The team got up and made arrangements for more police to meet them at the house. Davis knew they had to catch this guy or he would kill another.

 

NAME: MARGARET CONNELLY


Maggie’s morning had been pretty uneventful, which was a good thing considering there was a serial killer on the loose. She had been searching for information on the internet about Chahal and the unsub, not that she expected the police or the agents would need her help. She was looking more for her own curiosity than anything else. After hours on the internet between the last night and that morning, Maggie came across Agent Monroe’s statement to the media. She learned that they believed the unsub’s name was Gregory Williams.

            Maggie typed that name into the search engine. She found an obituary for his father who had died a year previously. She delved deeper into the internet and found a picture of a large house that looked like it hadn’t been cared for in years.

Maggie glanced to the top left corner of her laptop’s screen and looked at the time. “Crap!” She was going to be late for her book signing. Maggie slammed the computer shut, picked it up and rushed out the door to the new rental car that Nate had helped her get. She programed the address into the GPS connected to the car.

Maggie followed the directions that the GPS gave her and eventually found herself alone on a road surrounded by nothing. “I don’t think you’re taking me the right way, GPS,” Maggie said out loud. She continued to drive though, holding on to the hope that maybe it was taking her an odd backway. That’s when her luck started to disintegrate. The car started to slow down. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. What are you doing, car?” Maggie pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off. Did the battery die? She thought. I don’t know how to fix this… and I don’t have a phone. “Wonderful,” Maggie said.

She looked around her surroundings and saw that she had pulled over in front of a poorly cared for house. “Maybe they have Wi-Fi that I can steal.” Maggie opened up her laptop that was sitting on the passenger seat. She couldn’t get any internet connection, not that she really expected to. Maggie looked back up at the house she was in front of. It then occurred to why the house looked so familiar. It was the house that belonged to Gregory Williams’s dad’s house. “Oh, God,” Maggie said.

She didn’t know what to do. She couldn’t sit here in the car, but what would she be risking if she got out? She decided that she needed to try and walk back to civilization. “No phone and my only protection is a key for a crapped out rental car. This will be fun.” Maggie started to walk down the deserted road back the way she drove.

She walked for about ten minutes before a red truck drove up next to her. “Oh, no,” Maggie said under her breath.

“Hey, darlin’. You need a ride?” The man driving the truck asked.

“No, thank you,” Maggie said not looking at the man. She kept walking.

The man continued to drive slowly next to her. “Get in the truck,” he said.

Maggie turned towards him to tell him no again and saw a gun was now pointed at her. She recognized him from the picture Agent Monroe showed on TV. It was Gregory Williams. “You’re not going to shoot me,” Maggie said without thinking.

“What makes you say that?” Williams asked, looking a little twitchy.

“It’s not your thing,” Maggie said as she mentally kicked herself. “You’re more of a knife man.”

The man got out of the van, still pointing the gun at Maggie. He came closer to her and said, “Well, I guess you’re right.” He put away the gun and quickly pulled out a knife. He held it to Maggie’s throat and said, “Get in the truck.”

Maggie complied, barely breathing. Williams turned the truck around and drove back towards the house.

 

NAME: DR. NATHANIEL DAVIS


Davis was in the SUV with the rest of his team on the way to Williams’s house. George hung up the phone and said, “The coroner found traces of Williams DNA on the latest victim. He’s getting sloppy. He’s definitely our guy.”

            They pulled up the house along with many other cars filled with police. Davis noticed that there were two cars that weren’t law enforcement vehicles. A red truck parked in the driveway and a small silver sedan parked on the street. Davis recognized the second car. It was the rental car that he had gone to get with Maggie yesterday.

 

NAME: MARGARET CONNELLY


Maggie was lying on the floor in a room in the back of the house with her ankles tied together and her arms tied behind her back. She was alone so she was trying desperately to get her hands free. The ties weren’t tied as well as they should have been. She managed to get one hand free and then the other one was easy. She kept her hands underneath her for a moment before pushing herself up and starting to work on her ankles. She broke a few nails in the process but managed to get the knot undone. It was strange how easy this was. It was probably because she wasn’t someone he planned on taking. She had freed her ankles when she heard footstep outside the room.

            Maggie quickly, and loosely, wrapped her ankles in the rope again. She put her hand behind her back and lied back down in the same position. When the man came back in, Maggie glared up at him.

He smiled down at her. “I think I’m going to have a little fun.” He knelt down over her.

Maggie took this as her chance. She brought her hands up and pressed her thumbs to his eyes. His arms went up to where her hands were as he let out a scream of pain. Maggie then moved and brought her legs around to kick him behind the knees. He fell forward because he was now off balance and Maggie got out of the ropes as quickly as possible and ran from the house in her bare feet.

She heard footsteps pounding behind her. She burst through the front door and ran through the dead grass. Maggie was so blinded by her panic that she didn’t see the person that she ran into and knocked over until she was on top of him on the ground.

Maggie was overcome by relief as she said, “Hello, Doctor.”            

 

NAME: DR. NATHANIEL DAVIS


The team and Dr. Davis were moving up to the house cautiously with their guns drawn. There was a loud noise of a door as it burst open. Maggie Connelly ran out and right into Davis. She knocked him to the ground, sending his gun flying. They were lying face to face. Maggie smiled and said, “Hello, Doctor.”

            They stayed in that position for a little bit before Agent Times said, “Davis, come on.”

            Davis was a little flustered as he said, “Oh… oh… yeah.”

            Maggie winked at him and said, “I’m in shock. What’s your excuse?” She got up off of him and a paramedic led her to an ambulance parked on the street.

            Davis got up from the ground and Times said to him, “Nice one, man.”

            “What?” Davis asked slightly oblivious.

            Times just shook his head and smiled.

            It turned out that Davis and Times didn’t even need to enter the house. When they reached the front door, Reynolds had Williams in cuffs and took him out of the house to a police car. Williams was smiling as he walked. Davis couldn’t help but feel disgusted at the man.

            The team wrapped things up at the scene and Davis walked over to where Maggie was sitting on the edge of an ambulance. “Hey,” he said. “How are you doing?”

            Maggie patted the spot next to her and said, “Pop a squat.”

            Davis scrunched his eyes at the odd statement, but complied to her request. He sat down next to her and asked again, “How are you doing?”

            Maggie shrugged. “Fine, I guess. I mean, he didn’t do anything to me.”

            Davis breathed an inner sigh of relief. They sat there in silence for a moment.

            Maggie turned toward him and said, “I know you want to ask, so, ask.”

            Davis knew what she was talking about and it was the only thing he was wondering since he saw her car. “Why were you at his house?”

            “Total accident. I promise, I promise, Nate, that I did not come here looking for him. I did find a picture of his house on the internet though, so, weird coincidence,” Maggie explained.

            Davis was glad that Maggie wasn’t here on purpose but he found it a very odd coincidence that she found his house, especially after finding a picture of it that morning.

            Maggie was cleared to leave by the paramedics because the only thing wrong with her was minor rope burn. Davis helped her off the back of the ambulance. “So,” he asked, “did you have a fun trip to Iowa?”

            Maggie chuckled. “Not the best. I’m really looking forward to going home.”

            “And where is home for you?”

            “D. C.”  

 

             

 

© 2015 Katherine P. Haley


Author's Note

Katherine P. Haley
This is the first story featuring Maggie Connelly and Nate Davis, so there's more to come!
I am totally open to constructive criticism. Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
jb
Nicely put together piece! Good job!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Katherine P. Haley

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
jb

8 Years Ago

Your welcome!!!
Rich and enthralling, a superb read which takes you along into a fun trip to Iowa

Posted 8 Years Ago


Katherine P. Haley

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
This is so good! I found myself hooked within the first paragraph, I'm more of a romance gall 99% of the time but wow! That was amazing! You have to continue working on it! I would give you more than an 100 but I'm not physically able, well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2015
Last Updated on August 4, 2015
Tags: murder, serial killer, criminal minds, investigation, author, doctor, fiction, criminal, serial, killer, minds

Author

Katherine P. Haley
Katherine P. Haley

Naperville, IL



About
Hey everyone! I am currently in college working towards a degree in English and planning many impossible things for my future. I have been passionate about writing since the fifth grade when I started.. more..

Writing