The Sphinx

The Sphinx

A Story by kpoetry

The male humans entered the wide cave with colourful drawings on its walls. In fact, they were covered with depictions of wild animals, of men hunting long-tusks, of vampiric lust, all symbolising danger. There were four of them. The humans. All had drawn their weapons and advanced vigilantly step by calculated step. “What do you think the drawings mean?”, one of them asked. The tension was graspable as none of his companions answered.

Atsu had watched the strangers approach but they seemed to have gotten close enough. He let the torches to both sides of his magnificent body flare up and showed himself to the strangers. It was a majestic appearance but for someone like him, that was only natural. The strangers stopped instantly and seemed unsure as to what they were supposed to do. One of them uttered “it’s a sphinx!”. That one couldn’t be the leader of them. It was always the leader you had to deal with. Bite the head off the snake and its torso will fall to the ground dead, or in the case of humans fall to their knees and cry. “Lucky us we have the smart one with us”, said another one in dry mockery. Both of them were dressed in cold iron, hair to toes. They obviously belonged to some sort of honour guard, maybe a lord’s watch or something of the sort. A smart one, we’ll see about that. “Who might you be? Four humans in this dark place where eyesight forsakes the weak and death dines.” Humans usually expected creatures like Atsu to act weird and guard something. In his experience acting the part usually played out to his advantage.

“We are going to recover Lord Loïc from his demonic cage!” Now that must be the leader. He had never heard of any Loïc let alone a lord bearing that name. And Atsu had had his fair share of information during his lasting presence on this planet. Humans would’ve considered him an ancient being, though he was really just mid-aged. “Are you now? Who is that Lord Loïc? How come I have not heard of him if he possesses the arrogance to call himself a lord?” The same human answered. He was a little shorter than his companions but all ironclad as well, wearing a large white cape that stretched down almost to the ground. His helmet was topped by swan’s feathers, as were the others’. “A man about my size, black beard, strong like a minotaur, all in black.” Atsu had just come from negotiations with the goblins who had seized this mountain from the trolls years ago. Nobody considered goblins important on any of the planets Atsu had wandered. Though they seemed to always be where a prize was to be won. And that was usually where somebody was losing a war. Atsu himself didn’t care too much about wars, they were easy to avoid and there was an after just as there had been a before in each war. However, he was and always had been a diplomat who mediated between parties in need of allies, trade agreements, anything really. That was because nobody dared refuse to commune with a sphinx and Atsu quite liked the power in all the knowledge given to him. “Might be such a two-legged weakling passed by… may well be he was in chains. Likely to have ended up a meal.” The fourth human spoke for the first time. “He ain’t dead.” This one looked very different to the others. He wore black leather, his deep blood-coloured sword was covered with runes rather than made from shimmering white metal as were the others’. “I have a… connection to him.” Maybe this one wasn’t human after all. There was a strange aura about him. Maybe he was a mage, or something else with magical powers. Atsu wondered whether his companions knew just how powerful he seemed to be. “Good for him”, he added slowly while lingering in deep thoughts.

“Are you going to tell us that riddle now or are you going to talk us to death?” The hollow iron-clad had opened its mouth again. Stupid human. “A riddle? Sure, if that’s what you want. Why not… what is my name? I have the torso of a cat, ragged, large. I am winged like the angels of your myths. My head looks all too human, is more intelligent, more cunning by far. My paws will break your neck without any noticeable exertion.” The human answered at once, a proud expression spreading rapidly on his face. “You are yourself, the sphinx.” Do I look so simple-minded? “I am. And that is not my name.” Racist as ever, these imbeciles. The second iron-clad stepped forward aggressively. “If you are going to kill him, you have to go through me!” Atsu smiled at the authority problems they seemed to have without this Loïc of theirs. “I am not really in a killing mood. Your preconceptions are quite strong, humans. You shouldn’t believe everything you are told.” The apparent leader finally found his voice again, asking: “We can pass without solving the riddle?” Atsu showed him long, sharp teeth in a threat of a smile. “You could when you first arrived here. However, I do like riddles, that much is true. You would gravely offend me to pass without at least giving it a try. And angry cats can be quite the pain in the rear, you know. I do see myself as a cat among others. Each remaining one of you shall have a try, if none gets it right I shall keep the cheeky one. Haven’t had myself a toy in a while.” The human soldiers struggled to hide their fear. Which was no good of course because Atsu could smell it like a flow of loosed bowels. “And if…” The second guardian ushered angrily, making another step toward Atsu. “No, you cannot beat me in a fight. Ask the clever one, he knows.” The one all in leather didn’t seem too concerned about the situation. Atsu wondered whether he had a way to perceive intentions as the guardian ultimately gave it a try. “You are not the sphinx. So you are a crossing between human and wild cat, an abomination.” The audacity… “An abomination? I am most certainly not. En contraire, I am most bright and majestic. Surely your weakling eyes can see that?” It was amusing, the humans had not even attempted to commune in order to find more logical answers and quite obviously that leader of theirs had not done this job for long. No leadership at all. But he did give it a try at least. “You are a mythic creature. You do not really exist though in the stories you lived through many an adventure. Hero, be you called.” Ah, there is another all too human quality. “I like my life, so heroic I am not. None have ever called me a hero.” Atsu did not see a reason to keep talking to these unworthy creatues, until the interesting one broke his silence.

“It is not a riddle. You described yourself though only asked for your proper name. A sphinx is what you are, though even sphinxes have names. What is your name, dear guardian?” His eyes sparkled knowingly. You know I am not a guardian, why play the game? Maybe you aren’t too fond or your companions either. It would be interesting to speak to this one without his moron friends. “Guardian? I myself am just a wanderer. Much like yourself. I see you are less stupid. I like brains in acquaintances. My name is Atsu. What is yours?” Unlike the others, this one did not seem impressed. “I am Herion. May we pass to save our companion?” A moment passed as Atsu faked thinking. Knowing what awaited them in the tunnels behind he had the power to save or doom them. “You may pass, Herion. Your fellows I must deny, they are not worthy, they shall not see my rear side.” That was too much insult for the second guardian who stood already almost in reach of Atsu’s paws. “Oh, I will pass.” He swung his heavy sword in a large circle above his head to get the swing necessary to harm a sphinx. Too stupid to live, are you? Atsu moved his right paw just enough to grab the human’s attention to then let his majestic head crash into the attacker, forehead first. The man didn’t even scream as he was crushed between the giant head of the sphinx and the stone floor. The disgust was visible on all their faces. Even the mage or whatever he was seemed shocked by the brutality.The two of you will do good to leave now, I am getting slightly nervous.” Atsu narrowed his eyes, knowing how terrifying the sight must be with some parts of their companion still stuck on his forehead. Go! I shall bring back your lord, I promise!” The leathery one spoke wisely again. Your lord. That’s interesting. “We are going to wait for you outside until the sun fades and rises again. Then the storm shall start and none will remain among the living!” The threats sounded quite weak coming from the leader who was already backing off. Brought an army with you, did you? “Got it, leave me to my job then. Dear fellow traveller, would you accompany me on my quest?” He had addressed Atsu there. How eloquent. Atsu liked this stranger better with every word he spoke. “How exciting to get asked for anything other than a riddle. Humans always ask for riddles… I will be glad to help you as best I can.” The stranger smiled slyly. Has he met my kind before?

© 2018 kpoetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The conversation/interaction between Herion and Atsu was really interesting, they had a good dialogue going on and had legitimate chemistry. The foundations of good world building were evident and does make me wonder what type of world these characters exist in and how it works. I'd personally like maybe some explanation oft the other men in the group and have them play more of a role instead of simply being scared and give them some purpose. All in all a good bit of writing and an interesting piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kpoetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you! You are right about the other characters. A few more details about them could probably im.. read more



Reviews

The conversation/interaction between Herion and Atsu was really interesting, they had a good dialogue going on and had legitimate chemistry. The foundations of good world building were evident and does make me wonder what type of world these characters exist in and how it works. I'd personally like maybe some explanation oft the other men in the group and have them play more of a role instead of simply being scared and give them some purpose. All in all a good bit of writing and an interesting piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kpoetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you! You are right about the other characters. A few more details about them could probably im.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 14, 2018
Last Updated on February 19, 2018
Tags: human, short story, fiction, history fiction, sphinx, riddle

Author

kpoetry
kpoetry

Lucerne, Switzerland



About
A young Swiss author who is looking for feedback and inspiration in reading/reviewing other authors' work. more..

Writing
Injustice Injustice

A Poem by kpoetry