The Setting Sun

The Setting Sun

A Poem by Kristin Lee
"

The beauty of a sunset

"

Spellbound by the transformation

Of mother natures cousin on high

The brightest star in the sky

Making room for the rest to shine.

 

The pale blue oblivion

That’s kissed my skin all day

Becomes awash in orange prisms

Stained by cherry puckers.

 

The all knowing orb of innocence

Sinks slowly from my sight

Resting tenuously on purple ribbons

Of nights loving embrace.

 

This sacred place of dreams

Where heaven feels tangible

If only for a moment;

The tragic and romantic magic

Of the setting sun.

© 2013 Kristin Lee


Author's Note

Kristin Lee
Thanks for reading. Reviews welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The brightest star in the sky
Making room for the rest to shine.

Fantastic line. Lovely poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a stunning piece of poetry! I absolutely love this stanza:

The all knowing orb of innocence
Sinks slowly from my sight
Resting tenuously on purple ribbons
Of nights loving embrace.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is by far one of the best setting sun pieces I have ever read. One of the most beautiful and comforting gifts we have to enjoy is sunsets and this piece portrays that through amazing imagery that paints the perfect picture of all you see/feel. I will think of you and purple ribbons the next time I am enjoying the setting sun. Great job, my friend.



Posted 10 Years Ago


I love the imagery here, Kristin - it's out standing. Sunsets are so magical, they just have that vibe, they can be so romantic, haha. Nicely written.

~ Noodle ~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great imagery in this beautiful piece of writing.Sunsets have such a magical quality.....

Posted 10 Years Ago


There are some pretty cool perspectives here Kristin, I personally like the last 2 sections the best. "The tragic and romantic magic" great way to capture the duality of the moment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really like this. My favorite line is "Resting tenuously on purple ribbons" and I am a man :)

I am not so sure of "The all knowing orb of innocence". You keep the sun so "down to earth" and then you lift it up to something supernatural. This did not quite work for me.

You should be really proud of your work. The next time I see a sunset I will particularly seek out the purple ribbons.


Posted 10 Years Ago


What a beautiful way to describe the setting sun. I have always been transfixed by sunsets. Sometimes at that hour, I step out onto my front porch and watch as the sun sinks below the line where ocean and sky meet; the colors are as you described them many times; purple ribbons. This is a sacred place indeed. You've done a beautiful job of showing us what you felt and saw.

Only suggestion, and it is a tiny one: You use the word "sky" twice in the first and second stanzas, I would suggest a different word for sky in the second stanza, just to punch things up a notch. Great writing, though, compeltely enjoyed this one!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wonderful imagery, Kristin! I love the colors flowing throughout. Cherry puckers made me smile! Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


The brightest star in the sky, making room for the rest to shine...

The sunset is a breathtaking phenomenon, and you have captured its grandeur in this poem. Excellent!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 12, 2013
Tags: sun set, heaven, night, stars

Author

Kristin Lee
Kristin Lee

Portland, OR



About
I write with a no holds barred attitude, wielding my pen like a dagger to carve tales of fiction entwined with hard and bitter truths. My work generates bold, sometimes dark and devious stories that .. more..

Writing
Oblivion Oblivion

A Poem by Kristin Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..