DON'T MAKE ME START EDITING

DON'T MAKE ME START EDITING

A Poem by kublakhan27
"

09 15 14

"
Waste no time
waiting for it to be hung

That monolithic
chestnut frame
housing the officiation
of the consummation
of a bachelor's degree
that hibernated
understated
in a trunk for eleven
years until the irony
of my position
was embraced just
tight enough
to elevate it to the floor
glorifying one corner
of the attic of
a big house
pimped up with enough
paint and furniture
to pass shruggingly
for an apartment

A more concrete
candidate for the wall's
interruption
is a letter from
the government
grudgingly officiating
the eradicating
of my student loan
in laconic honour
of my disability

The world needs
a bipolar-riding
former editor-in-chief
of campus arts
publications about
as much as
I require higher fees
for the filing of the
income tax returns that
bottom out
in the automatic
non-need for a number

I'm a special one
I get a word

nil

© 2014 kublakhan27


Author's Note

kublakhan27

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was probably the most straight forward piece I have seen by you. It was emotional, but it also had some comic relief in there. Kind of like Shakespeare's trick where right after a really heavy scene he would put a comical character in to perk people up again. Personally I think your accomplishments are pretty great. Former editor-in-chief looks great on a resume. I am still in college trying to figure out what the hell to do with myself at 24 years (I was leaning towards nursing, but anatomy has me reconsidering), so be proud that you have you degree.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Haha It is very straightforward indeed, probably one of the most straightforward things I've written.. read more
Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

It is definitely an accomplishment. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but the econom.. read more



Reviews

Yeah... Pretty much. :)
Took me so long to pay off my student loans.
Do you think anybody has asked to see that piece of paper?
I could have stopped at Marketing 101 when I learned the SWOT analysis.
That's maybe one of the things I use most.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

I did it for the beer.
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Ok, just kidding.
kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Haha I couldn't even do it for that cuz I didn't have medical clearance to drink through my school y.. read more
BRAVO! I learned early in life that what I did not need was a college education to achieve my goals in life - Oh, I attended college at the tender age of 16 (second youngest student at the time, and the youngest was also in my class) so we blazed new ground. Two of my professors were Socialists, one mocked my religious beliefs and on and on so I opted to save a lot of time and money and do what I wanted to do. Yes, I am a rebel but as much as I am rebel I am a realist and my wisdom told me that to have a piece of paper on the wall, or elsewhere was but a plan devised by those who said I had to have a piece of paper to do this, and to do that, so I did not do this, and I did not do that......I did what I felt I was called to do!! My career was spent working for nonprofit organizations. I made little money but was content with my chosen path! I developed expertise in marketing, public speaking, selling and at the expense of "life". I lament at the vast number of students who pay for college loans for a multitude of years, do not get to work in the field they desire and oh well........let me get off my soapbox, and do some more poetry writing, as that is what makes me happy. Why I might even record it which uses my public speaking skills.....LOL We are all endowed with God given gifts and if we discover them early in life we shall know what we must do to allow our dreams, and goals to come true. I am still working on one of mine and when it "breaks", I will be very, very wealthy and all without a piece of paper on the wall! My piece of paper will be that framed dollar bill!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

I've never had a whole lot of direction in my life beyond the writing...pursuing the degree was real.. read more
Sheila Kline

9 Years Ago

Well, if I get rich on my idea, I will remember you Steve!!!!! Writing won't do it for me but it al.. read more
kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Sheila...your support is always an inspiration to me :)
I feel this in my marrow as much as I read it. I am an accountant by trade. I work 50 hours a week in middle management. I loathe math and numbers. I write, I sketch, I love history and music. I sing. I play instruments. All this scraping for 900 sq feet of nothing and what I love is shoved in a box.
The more I read this the more I can feel it bubbling up, churning. That angst. This is a seething write.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Yes, it is a pretty bitter write and not one of my best by any means, but it makes is point just the.. read more
TL Boehm

9 Years Ago

more than you might realize. Most of what I write is a lamentation of what could have been. My "care.. read more
The pairing with this song is perfect. I especially like the part about the falsely pimped out apartment. Nice job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

I knew that was gonna be my song from the start...it's not my best by any means but it serves a purp.. read more
Kill em with kindness Benji, it confuzzles the fook out of them..you already know my take on this one, nuff said Oscar;)

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Haha Thanks love, I'm sure I was channeling Oscar a bit ;)
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

I never know who's gonna show up lately in your genius Norm. ;)
Life is not fair....this is a given. Actually, I don't think degrees belong on a wall. They are not a decoration and not something one needs to throw in another's face. Student loans are a funny thing....I often wonder why the USA just sends a check to the supposed student. Why not send the check directly to the registrar of the institute of higher learning? Too many people cheat the government out of money this way. However, I digress...which I so often do! :) It's sad certain disabilities are not recognized as much as others. They are not "en vogue" so to speak. Your words get your message across powerfully. Great work....no surprise. Perhaps the world does not realize it needs "a bipolar-riding former editor-in-chief".....maybe someday they will. Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Not much I can say here my friend, you've said it all...this is not my best work by any means and it.. read more
degrees are a funny thing ... some need the space on the wall .. others don't .. God bless all who have paid off the loans one way or another ... i love joni mitchell .. :)

i am forever grateful for my own accomplishments (small as they may be) in academia ..i see them as tickets to get somewhere .. i lived in an attic .. i loved it up there .. i loved my wife up there (she passed away many years ago now)... your poem gives me good feelings and thoughts this morning .. nice one!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

I thought you might enjoy the music :) I am grateful for it as well, as it's the only real accomplis.. read more
Einstein Noodle

9 Years Ago

dear Kubla ... you have an important voice ... your downhill is the climb up for very many .. you be.. read more
It describes the unfairness of the system through brilliant words. Their actions and reactions both should be like flies sitting on a glass box full of sweets. At least I hope.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

So glad you enjoyed it Avinash, thank you :)
sometimes we wonder just what the hell we got degrees for?

from any years after i got my bachelors...it hung on the wall and i did everything in the world, but something having to do with that piece of paper....
cant' beat experience...that seems to beat what we get from the books...and then there are the loans...ugh

we get the degree...then spend a lifetime paying for it. yes, maybe we need more bi-polar ex editors in cheif to start editing life down to a more simple formula...

jacob

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

I did it basically just for the sense of accomplishment...I thought I might find myself along the wa.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

699 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 16, 2014
Last Updated on September 16, 2014

Author

kublakhan27
kublakhan27

Nova Scotia, Canada



About
My first book is out! Any comments that anyone may have to offer regarding my work would be deeply appreciated, as I'm yet to get a review. www.amazon.com/Waltz-Around-Swirls-Steven-Fortune/dp.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..