Disillusionment

Disillusionment

A Story by Nautili

  Disillusionment is a good thing, in all actuality. Reality came suddenly crashing through the door, you looked up at it and by doing so, you broke away from illusion’s spell, YOUR EYES HAVE BEEN OPENED. Although the pain deep in your soul is real and life’s disappointments are acrid to the taste, you know the truth and now can learn to accept it, walk away from it, or possibly even change it for the better. I have been disillusioned in love, career, friendship and child rearing at some point or another. But when I gave up on the fantasy in my mind and faced the painful truth, I realized I could cope with the stark reality much better than I had envisioned I could. I discovered that I am strong and resilient in the face of life’s smacks to the face.

  More than once in my life, I have felt the stinging pain of disillusionment. Yet simultaneously, because I knew the truth about a relationship or situation, I felt a sense of empowerment. The Bible says, "The truth will set you free." Well, what about the truth of a spouse’s affair or drinking problem or the stab of betrayal from a trusted friend? Yes, then, too! Because that is when you are no longer suffering under the delusion that relationships that were initially sound will forever run flawlessly and that you can now skip blithely through the life that you envisioned, with all your dreams and desires being realized. O how idealistic we are in our youth!

  No, you will trip on tree roots, thorny nettles will sink into your flesh, and you will get ripped and battered on life’s journey. But then you will heal and be just a bit wiser the next time. Hopefully, not jaded and cynical from disillusionment, but more cautious where you tread. In the end, would you rather live under the heavy, blinding clouds of illusion or have the penetrating light burn away the fog? Perhaps for the first time you will see the unsightly garbage strewn about your landscape, but now the clean up can begin.

  Disillusionment will surely revisit you on some future day, but this time, don’t see it as a bad thing. See it as a reality check.

© 2010 Nautili


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thumb Rule for "Disillusionment" move on with out looking back.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thats the whole thing isn't it. That we learn from our scrapes without becoming so calloused and scarred that we cannot feel at all. Nicely written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


there is a lot of realization once one reads through this work of yours...sometimes we just need someone or something to make us realize this disillsioment that you speak of...and then we take and apply the very thoughts.... and move on...

I like this...nice

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow…
It is sounds like a great lesson….
It is informative….
And deep…and tghoughtful…
Each state of life…
Be it dissolution…or dissatisfaction….
Will have something in store to enlighten us…..
It is the angle of vision of our eyes..
That determines…what we see…..
Your writing provides very sublime…..
Very lofty angle of vision..
Kudos to the genius you are…



Posted 13 Years Ago


There is such a stunning confession voiced here of the world... that which is hidden.. that which is revealed.. the truth and lies that dance around us each day. What do we do when we find the truth? Powerful and profound words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


with eyes wide open,I take each step,listening to every stone underfoot,
feeling every leaf as it brushes past my skin,even smelling the clouds as they get heavy with the burden of rain...I take nothing for granted,and treat each day as if it were my last...LonelySoul

Posted 13 Years Ago


the angels throw a party when another soul joins the chorus of clarity

Posted 13 Years Ago


This story is interesting. This made me think if life's a disillusion...Who's the disillusionment? lol! Good job though I like the ending part. See it as a reality check!!! I love it!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 16, 2010
Last Updated on September 17, 2010

Author

Nautili
Nautili

NY



About
A Dream Within A Dream Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow- You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if.. more..

Writing
Dutch Boy Dutch Boy

A Poem by Nautili



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..