Broken Utopia

Broken Utopia

A Poem by lindsay

We all grow up wanting and hearing the same thing;
"just be happy" they all tell us, live for you dream.
However, as we slowly get older the saying seem to change.
So everything you said was a lie, is what you are telling me?

What happened to live your life?
What happened to being free?
What happened to find someone you love?
I know where it went.
It was lost.
Destroyed in all little place called society.

Where went all the geniuses?
The rebels who made this world what it was supposed to be?
Their ideas were so fresh and new,
but they were lost in society.

I thought it was good enough.
To just simply be.
I'll have my job and a family to love
sounds perfect to me.

But, no.
Now, we are bred to know what was right; is wrong.
What we always dreamed was just a dream all along.

We have to be the best right?
At the top of our game!
Taking out everyone in the way
and showing no shame.
Working for no one,
and for our success we have ourselves to blame.

Ah.
But you left out one small detail
in your master plan.
You see, I still I am working for you.
We are forever damned.

No.
I will not follow this.
I will never follow you.
I will extract myself from society.
For just good enough,
is beautiful for me.

A little tear runs down my cheek,
for I do not know what the next generation will seek.
Will they have the heart that so many of us do? 
The heart to still just be and act against you?
One can only hope that some will take a stand.
To break out and to help create;
what I believe society can still be.

To help make it grand.

© 2011 lindsay


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

lindsay
My feelings, obliviously towards society.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I pretty much sing from the same hymn sheet as you here i am not too enamoured with society right now i feel that we humans are being crushed with adversity as the companies and the media wish to shape the nations of the world,us normal plebs are nothing but a number the nationa insurance card number that is all we count for and a small plot of land when we bite the dust,living the dream? you gotta be kidding me more like living the hell.
I liked this poem in it's war intensity you showed balls of steel to cut adrift from popular beliefs off the beaten track with your view and colourful with your descriptive narration.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I pretty much sing from the same hymn sheet as you here i am not too enamoured with society right now i feel that we humans are being crushed with adversity as the companies and the media wish to shape the nations of the world,us normal plebs are nothing but a number the nationa insurance card number that is all we count for and a small plot of land when we bite the dust,living the dream? you gotta be kidding me more like living the hell.
I liked this poem in it's war intensity you showed balls of steel to cut adrift from popular beliefs off the beaten track with your view and colourful with your descriptive narration.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's so good to see someone feeling enough to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and express such deep emotions with such conviction.

Society moves its stance from decade to decade, there are pendulum swings from one general thought to another, in minor things to major/vital things. When something doesn't work, opinions alter.. like changes in government, changes in morals, changes in food/living habits.

When it comes to how we feel and think though, freedom without anarchy has to exist, without that freedom we'll be robots, yes-men or -women...

This is a very touching and thought-provoking post and I really am impressed by what you've written.

However, please, do check your spelling and punctuation if you want to reach the PUBLIC EYE... don't let casual writing deflect from the theme.

Thank you very, very much for asking me to read this, it's been a great pleasure.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

interesting thoughts. We are living in difficult times. We know so much about world politics and the environmental disasters that just the simple things we thought we could have are out of reach for a lot of us. Well expressed, Lindsay. let's hope, we can all put our differences aside and sort out the planet. I live in Hope.

Dianah

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Society can suck. I like your non-conformist approach to the solution. Obviously turning society around is going to take leaders who can extract themselves from the norm of values and then get others to gain vision from the blindness material wealth can give us. Don't lose hope! Great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I thinnk you've done a wonderful job of expressing what many of us thinkabout todays society. You just did it so poetically. I'm very impressed. I think this could reach out to young people as well, because of the crap we "adults" try to ram down their throats. Trying to paint the perfect picture of what "we" expect when nothing is perfect, but things CAN be ok.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A truthel and very well written piece. Touching on the painful and hidden reality we live in

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is exactly how I feel too! So I was automatically emotionally connected to this piece.

This was a lovely poem. The world just needs one person to stand up and shine.
A favorite of mine!

Great job!
~Lauren

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Much of the thoughts expressed here, reflect my own resentment towards modern society. The way I understood your poem, it is a representation of the loss of idealism and creativity in the modern world. Also, how humanity's dreams have been broken or abandoned.

The final verse is particularly sad, in which the writer asks what it will be like for future generations. More specifically, how will they behave, in comparison to us? Will they have similar objectives or ideas? Indeed, will they even have the heart to care, about the society which they create?

Despite the overall darkness of this poem, it ends with a little hope. It reads, "what I believe society can still be. To help make it grand". These lines reflect, that the writer still has some hope in humanity's potential to create a "grand" society once again. Also, she is suggesting, that it is not too late for this to happen. I look forward to reading what other reviewers have to say, about this quite meaningful piece?

Nice writing, lindsay! Thanks for adding it to my Group, and becoming a member!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was great. I think this is so true. I know you've been told before and I dont know you got talked out of it, but follow your dreams and heart, no matter what. Nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent. very well written. The topic is awesome, one I write about quite a bit. I would love to hear you say it.
Many ask why I don't put my words out on paper, and I never will. If you were an artist would you paint with one brush or many. Audio has its on advantages.
You would be good at it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 13, 2009
Last Updated on February 2, 2011

Author

lindsay
lindsay

Mentor, OH



About
Hey, I'm Lindsay.I'm majoring in Creative Writing and Graphic Design at Ohio University. I like meeting new people.I want to travel and try everything.Writing is everything to me.I am really passionat.. more..

Writing
Moiety Moiety

A Poem by lindsay


As they fly As they fly

A Poem by lindsay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


soul soul

A Poem by lindsay