The Entrance

The Entrance

A Chapter by Jackie
"

Daniel and Sara read an old notebook based on vampires

"

The Witches Prophecy

 

 

The Prologue: The Nightmare

 

 

"As we lay upon our deathbeds waiting for the Angels to take us home, come partake in our last breath so that the world we see our final triumph."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Sara Mills was an ordinary girl of sixteen just a year ago. She was a good student exceeding in nearly all of her classes. She meddled in drama class and was an avid cheerleader. She was a cheerleader when she met her boyfriend Daniel Benson. He wasn’t playing on the football team she cheered for; he was in the stands when their eyes met. She couldn’t take her eyes off of his brown pair. She didn’t want to seem too eager so she played it off like she didn’t notice. Daniel didn’t speak to her that night. In fact, it took him a good two weeks before he had the courage to approach her by her lockers in the hall.

            Daniel wasn’t the athletic type even though he had a nice slender frame. Daniel’s natural tan skin with brown hair and eyes made all the girls swoon over him. The only bad thing about Daniel was that he was always so shy. He hardly spoke to many girls, so naturally rumors ran that he was gay. That is until everyone saw him speaking to Sara Mills early Wednesday morning. Then they saw Daniel and Sara arrive to the school dance a month later. Daniel and Sara became the hot item everyone wanted to hang out with. Sara was worried that Daniel may change with all the newfound popularity. Until she realized that Daniel never took any of it to heart because at the end of the day he only put up with it because she did.

            Daniel and Sara had what every sixteen year old girl or couple hopes to have true love, real love. They were so young with the world at their feet. One day Sara noticed swelling under her arm. Her parents set up her appointment which led to many other appointments. She’d done so many tests and was given so many possible reasons until they found the one true answer. Sara was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma cancer. How could she be sick? She cried with her parents, her family, her friends, and Daniel. Then it was time to go through the painful chemo and radiation therapy. Sara didn’t get any better. Shortly after her seventeenth birthday the doctor said she only had six months to live. Of course, her parents took her to other doctors to get many more opinions, but they all said the same thing.

            Now, she was here stuck in this hospital bed at hospice, the place where people go to die. Most of her friends had already given up on her and haven’t come by. She wondered if her parents were waiting for her to die. Her mother or father would come by every day to make sure she was okay. Sara knew it was to see if she was still living or near death. She had three more months left. She didn’t want to go. Daniel came to see her every day after class. He would sit and talk to her for hours even when she was asleep she’d wake to hear his voice. Daniel was holding on to her, so she was holding on to him. She loved him. Daniel loved her. And love held both of them in each other's grasp.

            Her mother had come by this Saturday morning. Her mother never stayed long. She didn’t like to cry in front of Sara, but that’s all she did when she came. Her mother didn’t want to accept her fate either. Her mother was a deeply religious woman who still believed God would hear her prayers and heal her daughter. Then she’d hear from the doctors that Sara’s prognosis was still the same she’d leave demanding that she needed a second opinion. Sara knew that she only went home to cry more. She was waiting for Daniel to come and spend time with her. Daniel was the only reason she opened her eyes every morning.

            “There she is.” Daniel said sweetly.

            He came in with a beautiful rose bouquet. He proceeded to switch out her old ones for her new ones.

            “Daniel”, Sara said. Her mood skyrocketed when she saw him.

            Daniel came over and kissed her on the forehead. He reached behind himself to pull a chair up so he could be close to her.

            “How are you feeling?” He asked as he reached for her arm and sat down.

            “Tired”, Sara answered softly.

            “Are you comfortable?”

            “Yea”, she said looking down at the light white blanket covering her. “What’s that?” Sara asked after noticing he was carrying an old brown book.

            “Do you remember when you used to read to me all those books about vampires?”

            Sara just looked at him. Daniel could see the answer written in her eyes. “I finally cleaned out the attic for my mom and I found this.” Daniel said flashing the old book. “It’s a journal I found by some girl named Amber McNae Lewis. Get this, it’s supposed to be about her life with vampires, witches and I don’t know what else. I only read the first page, but I knew you’d like it.”

            “Read to me”, Sara said interested only because Daniel seemed to be.

            Daniel smiled at her. “Look it’s even written on notebook paper”, he said showing Sara the off white color of the pages. “To whomever reads this my name is Amber McNae Lewis and these pages are written by me and a few others whose name I cannot mention for safety reasons. Most of these pages are my firsthand accounts other pages are from the others and thus written in accordance with how they told me.” Daniel hunched his shoulders at Sara.

 

(The Notebook)

 

            I tried several times to piece together a notebook about my past. I never had all the pieces to make it so that it wasn’t just my word against theirs. I remember when I was just a regular teenager fighting with my twin sister, parents and anyone else who had a problem with me being me. There are days when I wish I could go back to the way it used to be. Then I wake up with my love lying beside me and I realize that I’d trade it all to get back to him. My world is now a mysterious one with danger rising around every corner it seems. Every day it seems is a fight to survive against witches, vampires, and everyone else. My only hope is that throughout my years I have made the right decisions. I shouldn’t get ahead of myself. To understand me I have to take you back to the beginning.

            The day my life changed started out like any normal summer. Every summer as soon as school let us out my dad forced us to our cabin. I got out of it usually, but like last year he was adamant the family get some alone time together.

            “Girls, time to get up”, I heard my father say in an impatient tone.

            I groaned while raising my upper body from the pink comforter on top of me. I was never an early riser. I reached up to rub my sleepy eyes and saw my father march back into the hallway just as my twin sister Ashley, in an oversized rock band shirt, ran in the bathroom. Great, I knew she was going to take forever. I rubbed at the corner of my eyes with my thumb and climbed out of bed.

            I decided to make sure that I was ready for when Ashley came out the bathroom. I went over to my dresser and retrieved the outfit I set out last night to wear today. The shower turned on as I grabbed my cell phone besides my clothes. I made sure to toss it in my blue jean purse, so I wouldn’t leave it. I sat my clothes on the edge of the bed. Next thing I needed was my suitcase my father insisted we pack last night. There. I scanned the room until I finally located it in the closet doorway. I walked over the cream carpet covering our bedroom floor and dragged my suitcase all the way back over to my bed. I needed to double check I had everything I wanted for the trip.

            I unzipped my all black suitcase and took a look inside. I didn’t need to make sure I had enough clothes because what I packed barely fit inside. Instead, I was more concerned with having enough underclothes to match my outfits. Plus double checking for pajamas and my toothbrush that I had a habit of forgetting no matter where or when I went out of town. Pajamas, check, no toothbrush, crap. Then I almost laughed when I realized my toothbrush was in the bathroom because I had to use it this morning. Ashley was still in the shower and hadn’t turned it off yet. Who is she getting ready for? I went back to my suitcase to check for extracurricular activities such as my word search, a book, and notebook. All were present, so I zipped my suitcase back up and right on time because the shower turned off.

            It wasn’t soon enough because my father came into our room. He wore a white buttoned down shirt and black pants. He didn’t know the meaning of dressing down.

            “Why are you still not dressed? Your brother and mother are waiting on you two downstairs.” He said staring at me with raised eyebrows and an unforgiving stare.

            “I’m waiting for Ashley”, I said. Right on cue she emerged from the bathroom with her hair in a bun. She wore a red tank top with thick straps and black jeans. I grabbed my clothes from the bed and walked into the bathroom.

            “There are other bathrooms in this house you could’ve used, young lady.” My father said as I shut the door.

           

            “Ashley, grab your stuff and come downstairs, we’re ready to go.” Ashley nodded as their father shut the door behind him as he left. Ashley heard the shower turn on as she went over to her white nightstand and opened the single drawer to locate her IPOD touch. She quickly slipped it into her red purse. Then she sat on her bed near the window for a quick rest since it was only seven in the morning. She gazed around the room that she hated because she had to share everything with her sister: the bedroom, her things, her clothes, and her face. She tried hard to love her sister, but found it increasingly difficult.

            Amber and Ashley were nearly identical twins. They both had the same hazel eyes and auburn colored hair except Ashley recently got blond highlights. She disliked the idea of being identical and so did everything in her power to make them different. At a young age she ate more than Amber which now at sixteen she looked chubby compared to Amber’s athletic frame. She also cut her hair a few years back making her once long hair hang near her shoulders. She had originally done it with the intention that people would see her as the better twin, but it didn’t happen that way. Instead of people thinking she’s the beautiful one everyone remarks on how beautiful Amber is. That is everyone except him, her vampire boyfriend or so she thought.

            Ashley was so lost in that thought that she jumped when she heard the bathroom door open. Amber came out wearing a white strapless sundress and sandals. The dress hung nicely on Amber’s curvy frame. The dress made Ashley a little envious of her.

            “What?” Amber asked noticing Ashley glaring at the dress disapprovingly.

            “You’re wearing that.” Ashley said getting up to grab her suitcase.

            “Oh, I’m sorry mom, was I supposed to check in with you first?”

            Ashley was about to make a comeback when their father shouted for both of them to come down the stairs. Ashley and Amber knew that it was a final warning so they grabbed their purses and suitcases and headed downstairs. They left their rooms and headed straight down the hallway to the carpeted stairway. The girls reached the bottom step only to discover that everyone else was outside loading up the family van. They emerged dragging their suitcases over the two steps that led to the sidewalk.

            ‘Well it’s about time”, their father said grabbing their suitcases and tossing them in the back of the rose colored van.

            “We’re going to grab sandwiches on the way girls”, Ashley heard her mom say as she slid the lift side van door open just as Amber slid the right one.

            They both jumped in and grabbed their seats unfortunately right next to each other.

            “You girls are slow,” Ashley and Amber turned around to see their eight-year-old brother sticking his tongue out at them. Amber rolled her eyes and turned back around. She opened her purse and retrieved her very own IPOD touch and slid on her earphones. She readjusted her hair to her right shoulder since it was still damp. Ashley watched Amber’s auburn hair cascade down to completely cover her right breast and half of her abdomen. She suddenly missed her own hair and hated herself for cutting it.

            The door slammed as their father got in. Soon the engine began to roar and everyone in the vehicle took it as a sign to buckle their seatbelts. Ashley and her little brother followed Amber’s suit and put on their earphones as soon as they heard their father turn the radio on to a jazz station. Ashley closed her eyes as the music began to play in her ears and imagined meeting her vampire love again.

            Ashley first met him three years ago when she was only thirteen. She had caught him staring at her as she played outside the family cabin. He was so beautiful and she could tell that he was older. It was part of the reason why she liked him so much. They began talking every single day for the two weeks she was there. She wanted to stay with him, but her parents wouldn’t allow her to stay at the cabin alone. To this day they still don’t know why she put up such a fight with them that summer.

            Ashley was interrupted from her daydream with Amber handing her a bagel. She was hungry, but she only wanted to think of him now. She put the bagel on her lap as her father pulled from the drive through lane onto the main road. She closed her eyes again and imagined the next time she saw him.

            They met again the following summer. She hadn’t forgotten about him and was so excited when she saw him the second day after their arrival. They talked more about everything and she could tell that she had fallen in love with him. The second week of vacation was coming to close when he asked her to keep a secret. That was when he told her that he was a vampire. Ashley didn’t believe him and was going to run away fearing the man she loved was a crazed lunatic. She turned to run away and then she saw him run up the trees and all around the woods and came back to her in the blink of an eye. He stood before her and she still didn’t believe until he showed her the number one proof, in her mind, his teeth.

            They were massive compared to regular teeth. She was shocked at how far they extended from normal teeth. They nearly reached onto his bottom lip before he retracted them all the way in. Whoa. She asked him how he was able to walk around in sunlight. He explained to her that sunlight doesn’t affect him at all. She was curious as to what would kill a vampire, he only smiled. She toyed with him that she still didn’t believe him. She asked him to bite her and prove it. He gave her a weird look for a second then bit her right neck. To this day she cannot recall why she didn’t scream and just let him be or why he let her go. He must’ve been ashamed or sorry, she couldn’t tell which because he vanished when she blinked.

            That was the last time she saw him that summer until the next year. She tried to stay outside as much as possible, but he never showed. That is until her last day she awoke to him at the side of her bed. For the first time since they met, he kissed her. It was a simple peck on the lips, but it was her first and she was already in love with him. Within moments he disappeared on her again. She was so excited to see what might occur between them this year. She daydreamed and imagined that he and her would be vampires together and live happily for eternity.

           



© 2013 Jackie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

300 Views
Added on May 6, 2013
Last Updated on May 6, 2013
Tags: teen, love, hospital, cancer, cabin, summer, twin, vampire


Author

Jackie
Jackie

MI



About
I'm 26, Female Writing since I was 13years old. I have several projects in the works ranging from poetry to short stories and novels depicting real life events of my favorite fantasy and erotic more..

Writing
The Lottery The Lottery

A Book by Jackie