Chapter 4- Part 1 More new friends

Chapter 4- Part 1 More new friends

A Chapter by Jules
"

Juliana meets the rest of Frank's posse of friends- Cameron, Ellis, Jonnie

"

Chapter 4

 

Juliana and Frank sat and ate breakfast in silence. This time Frank was livelier and less distracted but when he tried to talk Juliana seemed uninterested and reserved. Then he realised she was angry with him about last night. He was the only family she really had and he had ignored her or not listened when she tried to talk him.

“I’m sorry Juliana,” he told her and she looked up at him in surprise. He could see the word why forming on her lips but before she had the chance to ask him the door burst open and Cameron bounded in. He’s like a naughty puppy Juliana thought with a smile. Frank saw this smile and wanted to ask her what had made her smile but now was not the time. Cameron looked a mess, Frank thought with a sigh, what did he do that made his black curls stick out so wildly? A tall man, dressed neatly and with his red-brown hair cut very short and brushed tidily. He had an air of presence but was quite relaxed in appearance. He smiled at Juliana and bowed low to her. Cameron slumped in a chair next to her and chatted away animatedly. Frank stood and greeted the stranger with a firm hand shake and then a manly hug.

“Jonnie! It’s good to see you. How was your trip back to Ireland? How are the four beauties? I really don’t understand where they get it from you certainly aren’t a beauty.” Juliana thought he was actually quite handsome, not as handsome as Frank but handsome enough.

“It’s good to see you to see too Frank. Ireland was fine mostly business I will have to return again soon I’m afraid. As for my little sisters they are fine, but Penelope will not give up her little solider boy; despite what I tell her. You still have no manners my friend will you not introduce me to your lady friend. And Cameron told me about Rebecca and the baby I’m sorry.” His voice vibrated with a soft Irish burr and Juliana found it strangely appealing. Frank’s eyes darkened at the mention of Rebecca but not for long instead he turned to Juliana an introduced them.

“Cease your babbling Cameron; you are like an old woman. This is Lord Jonathan Butler 9th Duke of Ormonde or Jonnie to us. Jonnie it’s my pleasure to introduce you to my charge Miss Juliana Lucas.”

“Miss Lucas, where has Frank been hiding you? It’s lovely to meet you. You must get Frank to bring you to visit my home in Ireland one day; I have four sisters I think you might get on well with.”

“I would enjoy that.” Juliana said with an easy smile. Then a movement by the door caught her eye and she took in a sharp intake of breath. The most beautiful man she had every seen leant in the door way staring at her with piercing blue eyes, hidden by golden blonde hair that floated around his face in shiny wisps, tied back carefully. He was very tall or so it seemed from her sitting position, but when he walked further into the room and stood quietly by Frank she realised he was just the same height as Frank just over 6 foot. His tall willowy frame seemed to exaggerate his height. He still stared at her and Juliana shivered under his icy gaze. The beauty she had noticed at first was replaced with coldness and she was slightly scared. Frank noticed her gaze behind him and turned to look.

“Ellis, you devil sneaking up on me like death itself!” Frank greeted him with a clap on the shoulder. “Still as grim as ever. Let me introduce you too to Juliana Lucas my charge.” Ellis did not appear to be offended by this negative introduction and bowed over Juliana’s hand with a charming smile which she noticed did not reach his eyes.

“Lord Ellis Dexter at your service Miss Lucas,” his voice low and resonant. He then carried a chair away and sat by the fire a small way away from the small party.

“You’ll have to forgive grumpy over there,” Cameron told her jovially, “He is always serious and doesn’t talk much. He never gets as merry as moi even when he drinks which is a lot!” he laughed. Ellis glared at him from his seat by the fire.

“Enough Cameron,” Frank said sternly before Cameron could continue. “Do not listen to everything Cameron says Juliana it’s often nonsense. Ellis is just a very private person so do not take offense at his aloofness. He is someone who you could trust with your life though.”

“A high compliment my friend, I thank you.” Ellis said quietly from his corner. Frank nodded in reply.

“Well you have now met my band of merry and not so merry men. What would you like to do this morning?” Frank asked Juliana sitting back down in his usual chair, Jonnie sitting at his other side.

“I don’t know. Are any of you married?” she asked the men. Cameron just laughed and shook his head, his curls falling into further disarray at the movement. Jonnie smiled at her and said,

“No, four younger sisters is enough thank you.”

“Ellis?” she asked.

“Hmm?” he looked up at her surprised, most women did not speak to him. “Wife oh no.” he looked back down at the newspaper he had picked up.

“That’s a shame,” Juliana said quietly looking down at her lap. “I was hoping to make some female friends but if none of you are married then I’m not quite sure if I will.”

“What did you need female friends for when you can have us? I mean would female friends let us race your horse in the park?

“We didn’t let her she just did it!” Frank objected while Juliana blushed. Jonnie and Ellis stared at her surprised.

“You raced in the park?” Jonnie asked intrigued, he liked a woman who could ride.

“Yes and I won,” she replied embarrassed. Jonnie burst out laughing and even Ellis looked amused.

“Good for you!” Jonnie told her with a smile. “Let’s go for a ride now, I know a good country route where we can go as fast as we wish.”

“You would!” Frank complained and then he explained to Juliana, “Jonnie owns a race track and a lot of horses, they are his passion.”

“I would enjoy that,” she agreed with a little smile, “I did a lot of riding in the country and I already miss it. Can we Frank?” he nodded his agreement and she went upstairs to change into her habit.

“Well what do you think?” Frank asked the others. They looked at him surprised.

“Why do you want to know?” asked Jonnie beginning the most serious one of the other three also the one more inclined to speak. “Do you like her in a way other than as your charge?” Cameron looked at him shocked as if he had not considered this idea before. But Ellis just watched silently for Frank’s response agreeing with Jonnie’s idea. Frank did not say anything straight away unsure what to tell him but he didn’t need to because as soon as Cameron saw this hesitation he crowed.

“You like her; you really like her don’t you? Good because we all knew you never liked Rebecca, let alone loved her but would you listen to us about not marrying her? No! You were going on and on about doing your duty to your father, not anything about love. And we also know you are a secret romantic, but I shouldn’t say that too loudly because it’s a big secret isn’t it!” he laughed and the others shushed him quickly.

“What would you know anyway?” Frank asked him angrily annoyed by his friends mocking. Ellis and Jonnie looked on seriously. “One day you will realise there is more to life then your own amusement.” Frank stormed out the room and up the stairs. Ellis glared at Cameron and he quickly stopped smiling his usual wide grin. Jonnie reprimanded him more gently then Frank.

“What had we taught you about thinking before you speak? He is right though you need some responsibility to teach you to be a man. That right you aren’t a man just a boy. Grow up Cameron!” Cameron shut up trying to object and they all sat there in sombre silence until Frank and Juliana returned ready to go riding. Juliana’s happy mood about going for her second ride in so many days soon transferred itself to them and they all enjoyed their ride outside in the bright morning sun.



© 2009 Jules


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha, that ellis guy seems like a creep. cant wait for the next chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules