3

3

A Chapter by Jules

Ephraim stirred first, his head pounded and he tongue felt like it was permanently stuck to the roof of his mouth. He wiggled his toes and fingers experimentally to check if his body was still working and he was glad to find it was. Slowly he opened each eye and winced at the bright light but his body adjusted quickly like it always did. A small brown haired head was resting on his chest and he smiled down at the still sleeping Kenna. He was glad she seemed ok. It must have been her eighteenth birthday; he reasoned that’s the only explanation for such a flare of power. He stroked her thick wavy brown hair and realised he had never felt so big and clumsy next to someone before. Kenna as so petit and fragile looking and he knew that although he could be gracefully and precise when fighting he had a much greater strength than her and it would be so easy to hurt her if he wasn’t careful. She huddled closer to him in her sleep; it seemed she thought he would protect her not hurt her or she wouldn’t be getting nearer instinctively. He ran a hand firmly down her back slowly and rhythmically, but the touch made her murmur in pain and wriggle away from his hands. Ephraim froze he hadn’t hurt her already had he? Carefully and slowly he inched the back of her top and inspected her skin the best he could from his awkward angle. Her pale ivory skin was tinted black and blue and green and yellow from large bruises in varying stages of maturity. Cuts lined her back in a haphazard criss-cross pattern, some new, red and raw, other formed dark scabs over her skin and others older still just fine white scars. He growled loudly and menacingly, pure instinct. Kenna woke.

She pulled away from her scared by the menacing noise coming from the one she loved. The one she loved it sounded so strange, even as she thought it but it was true. Even if her head tried to deny it because he was meant to be a scary monster her heart seemed to yearn for him and wouldn’t let her leave him.

“Who did this to you Kenna?” Ephraim asked her the growl still prominent in his voice.

“Did what?” she asked puzzled but cool breezes draw her attention to the fact that he had drawn her jumper up and the wounds on her back and stomach were clear. Kenna blushed deeply.

“Who did this?” he asked again trying hard not to shout at her, but his voice had definitely raised an octave. Kenna cowered away from him slightly. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to shout I just hate the thought of some one hurting you.”

“Really?” she asked him sounding surprised and not looking so scared any more, just hopeful.

“Yes, I might be a killer by race but not by nature. I hurt hurting things. I hate to kill but in this case I might make an exception I want to kill whoever did this to you.”

“It… it was an accident… I fell down the stair…” Kenna covered, hearing the echoed warnings of her step father after each time he beat her. ‘Don’t ever tell any body or I will kill you.’ She shuddered and relaxed relieved into the waiting arms of Ephraim, tears streaming down her face.

“Hush, he cant’ hurt you any more and you certainly didn’t fall down the stairs.” He comforted her, stroking her hair again. She felt so safe surrounded by his big strong arms and soothed by his gentle hands, despite having only spent a day with him. “We’re leaving.” Ephraim informed her and Kenna stared up at him surprised.

“Why? Where? And will the pack leader let us?”

“No he won’t be we will leave, I want revenge for you. Besides maybe you can help me make a new life for myself in the real world.”

“Ok, what do we do?” she asked him and he sat her down and started to explain his idea.



© 2009 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
honesty is the best policy....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on September 15, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules