Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt

A Story by Dante Hieroden
"

In the forest I find items that need the light to be cleaned.

"

Foraging the forest floor I scavenger hunt for the things that must find resolution. Here a sunburst pendant, next a bloody hand on a wooden plaque, next a crystal glass, next a golden horse statue and last a small black blade. 


I select the sunburst pendant and examine it closely. It reminds me of the sun of course. Brilliant and shimmering. But there is a hole there in the center and some blood stains it. I look up through the trees and see the light cascading down leaving pockets of light. 


As I bring the sunburst towards a pocket of light I feel the heat on my face and I wince as the pendant burns. I watch as slowly the blood smokes off the shimmering spokes. Suddenly the light burns again as the spokes shimmer and the rust dissipates. Glorious and beautiful I slide the pendant on.


I grab the bloody hand plaque and I cry. It frightens me...such screams and haunting sounds. I watch it and I feel the pull of the dark threads around me. I rush forward into darkness before I stumbled upon the light. In the light I watch as the wooden creaks and the screams subside. The light sparkles around me as the bloody hand begins to smoke and hiss. 


The light burns again and I close my eyes, tears stinging them. The hand dissipates as well and all that is left is the wooden plaque, rough and gritty but clear of the blood staining it. I strap it to my back using the leather strips attached to it. 


I gently pick up the crystal glass, my eyes transfixed on its surface. It is cracked and broken. As I walk to the light I see there is stains inside and the smell of alcohol fills my nose. I hear only merry singing and laughter but it is tinged with emptiness. 


In the light the songs change. Instead of burning all I see is a blast of light so powerful I must squint. As I wait, the glass slowly mends and the stains scrub free of its inside parts. I hold the glass high above my head and beckon the light to take it. It floats away and up. I watch it with a serene smile.


I slam my hand into the horse statue and wince as a jagged edge cuts me. Glaring at it I run to the light. I notice my blood staining it. I see green goop in parts on it and scratches marring its beauty. As I set it down in the light...I step aside and watch as the light reflects off the surface of it. The sound of something high pitched and beautiful emits from it. 


The statue begins to restore to a mirror surface and I smile as the horse winks at me and neighs. In the charming sound and the glittering beauty I watch as the horse runs off...sometimes through the darkness and sometimes through the light patches.


The last I walk slowly towards it...I bite my lip...do I dare? Do I DARE? I pause at the threshold, I hold my breath and I slowly reach down to pick up the blade. Steam pours off the ground and from the blade. I watch as it growls almost and I see blood begin to drip from its tip. I walk slowly, weighted down by the sensations as I walk towards the light.


As I hesitate at the threshold of the light I feel something coiling around me...black goopy vines and I scream so loud. I rush forward falling into the light as the vines try to pin me to the ground. In the light it screams and hisses and the steam begins to waver. I watch as the growling ceases to whimpering and the blade hums as it blade begins to fade from black to silver. I watch as the vines retreat from the light and the dripping blood begins to turn into glowing droplets of silver. 


As I latch the blade closed I attach it to my belt and I look up. Suddenly the light begins to widen and the patches become gigantic until the darkness retreats to the deep recesses. I raise my hands above me and I smile laughing. 


The hunt is done. I did good. 

© 2012 Dante Hieroden


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on August 25, 2012
Last Updated on August 25, 2012
Tags: hunt, items, God, life

Author

Dante Hieroden
Dante Hieroden

Murrieta, CA



About
Dante Hieroden is 26 years old. He is a council member (host alter) in a D.I.D. system called the The Valerian Legion. He is a punk at heart. He is passionate about writing poetry. He finds talking ab.. more..

Writing
Hers Hers

A Poem by Dante Hieroden