the lotarel universe complex

the lotarel universe complex

A Story by S. Liberace

We were in the garden. The serpents were swimming around in the air, calmly, Aldriat noted (I could tell from her expression), and she looked at the pink grass that grew along the edge of the stream. It bubbled from the earth. Jamreet and Kolani were with her, and the little Vartat, wearing his birdskin cloak, his bicoloured eyes (violet and neon green) surveying the stream just as Aldriat had been.
        "Moonlight Sonata." Jamreet said, smiling, and looking at Kolani. They were holding hands, as they were always supposed to do, being soul-mates and all.
        "It's not daytime yet." He said slowly. Kolani was a weird fellow. He was blind, which meant he had to wear a blindfold, and he had strange tattoos on his neck. He was a former warrior for the King Byatur, the only regal sky-octopus in the world. Kolani had lost one ear in the war.
        "I want to go to the beach." I said, taking one of the serpents from the air and breathing on its tail, turning it to ice. It squealed, gasped, and I let go; it began to dreamily float through the air again.
        Said Jamreet, "It's dangerous, isn't it? At this time? Etrosk." That was my name. "Aren't the jellymen wandering about?"
        "Yeah." Vartat answered for me. "They're lonely at this time of night. Not good, if you wanna go to the beach." His face was split in half by a toady smile, his big frog-like eyes gleaming with something. I didn't know what.
        "Huh," I muttered. "You seem to know a lot, Tatter." I liked to call him Tatter. He hated it. He frowned, and I smirked.
        "Sounds human," said Jamreet, her head tilted as she swung her and her lover's arm back and forth together. They were such a beautiful couple. "I don't like that. Human is so boring." She sighed, her white eyes looking ahead to the Palace, which lolled lazily in the sky.
        "Human is what I want to be." Kolani said.

Allow me to introduce us. Our world is called the Lotarel Universe: a compilation of dreams and imaginary things, but this world is also individually unique, in that manner. You do not make us up.
        Instead, it is we that make you up.
        Vartat is the Knight of Isle, a very important little boy, as he knows the inner workings of Kolossas' Lands � the place of the dreamlike undead � and the deepest depths of Qoli, which is our biggest sea. He is in charge of keeping peace in Queen Melean's Kingdom of the Thirteen and King Byatur's Nologeac Realm. Yeah, he's pretty high up there.
        Jamreet is a Nologeacian jepsy. No, not gypsy, more like jepsy � like a jester and a gypsy mixed together. She used to be a spy for Queen Melean, on King Byatur, and that's how she met Kolani. He was her source of information. She would get him drunk every night and he would talk like some sort of fool. So, to punish the both of them, they were put on a temporary curse for five years to hold hands. The curse is still in effect.
        Kolani was a fantastic fighter for the Realm, but he got too caught up in Jamreet. She's really pretty, after all. He was born blind, and he lost his ear fighting to a jagged-toothed dreamlike undead. He almost became undead himself, but Aldriat helped him avoid that with her magic.
        And Aldriat! I really like her. She was a stealth warrior for Byatur. She has a vector necklace. It's a part of the black hole which ate her grandparents' world. It's a black circle that goes around her neck. If she ever takes it off, Voratu (the black hole's name) will eat this world too.
        And (this is the part where I bow) I'm just a wizard who knows a bunch about nothing.

What purpose do we hold? Ah, well, we are the saviour of worlds! No, no, we really aren't, but we did become saviour of our world. The Lotarel Universe.
        It didn't begin in the garden. It began somewhere else. Back in time, when everything was limited. Aldriat's grandparents' world had been erased from infinity and the Kingdom of the Thirteen and the Nologeac Realm had temporarily lost control of their citizens, due to an outrageously sweeping fear. Aldriat's father had given his life to contain Voratu in a band, which he locked around Aldriat's neck.
        Aldriat was hailed as Supremely High Lord for a while, well, she still is a Supremely High Lord, but since she's immortal, people just take her for granted now. Even though sometimes there's a scare (she falls out of her reed lizard when she's in the sky; she's broken her neck a couple of times doing that), but she and her vector necklace are always very dandy.
        But after that other world was eaten up by the ever vengeful Voratu, after Gjalmi � Aldriat's father � had locked the thing around his daughter's neck, there were a bunch of those who were out to capture Aldriat and hold her as captive, so that everyone would do as they commanded � or else.
        This happened once. No, a few times. Queen Melean was never a very nice queen. Even though my allegiance is to Her Majesty, she sought out complete power in the Lotarel Universe. There are other worlds, of course, but those other worlds are "forbidden", since they are still developing. Kolossus described our world as a parrot-like orange explosion of wondrous monstrosity � whatever that means. He described his description kind of like this:
        "I mean to say that the Lotarel Universe Complex, as sophisticated as it might seem, is just a mere show of mimicry and colour. We are the stuff of dreams and legend."
        Now, where am I going with this? Absolutely nowhere, aren't I? Well, ah, let's get back to where we were.
        Right, uhm, Queen Melean � universal ruler. Mistress of Worlds.

Fifty years ago, the Lord Krager had expired (he was a flower giant � Melean is a flower-darling, she's half twilight elf) and left his throne to his daughter, who was a spoiled child of about three hundred and seventy nine. Now she's nine hundred years old, still a child, but I think she has more understanding now than she did then.
        Anyway, the other world had JUST been eaten up, and since Lord Krager was such a great great lord and his daughter a most great great brat, everyone doubted her. So, to get power, being the child she was, she captured Aldriat and threatened to unleash Voratu into space again.

© 2009 S. Liberace


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on September 21, 2009