Acceptance

Acceptance

A Chapter by HSS_Fan
"

Rennie gets accepted to Dayton High.

"
Dayton High School scouts are out again, looking for this year's brightest young minds to grace the school's halls! Returning students are excited, and are giving out advice to the smartest teens in their town.
"Always focus in class, and be mature- that's how you get in," a flame haired boy called Garrett says to our reporter, Hillary Swan. 
The scouts are out and about- maybe in a town near you!
"My goodness." My mother threw the newspaper into the bin. "I'm honestly not interested in this Dayton High madness. Your brother didn't get in, and neither will you!" Mum stormed out as I rolled my eyes. Ever since Jason got passed over to enter Dayton, my mother was always livid. She always said rude things about the school, and said my brother should've gotten in.
I'll introduce myself. I'm Rennie Schwartz, and I'm 13 years old. I'm at the age where I can be selected to go to Dayton, and I'd like to. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too temperamental for people to want me at their school. I've been kicked out of two schools, and I'm glad to say it (mostly) wasn't me. It was generally Mum (pre-getting turned down by Dayton) saying I was absolutely terrible at schoolwork, so she made them put me in lower classes. Mum's always been a bit hard on me, but I don't know why. Maybe she wanted another boy, a boy as perfect as Jason. Anyway, I got bored in classes, and got into a bit of mischief. In fourth grade, I lost it when a boy asked me if I was sick or if I was normally fat. I beat him up, and a teacher caught me. The teacher asked the class (who were watching the whole thing play out) if the boy actually said I was fat. Nobody said a word, and the teacher sent me to the principal. I wasn't going to let the class get away with not standing up for me, so before I got to the office I went to the art room, got some 'Plaster of Paris', and poured it down all the sinks and toilets I could, then flushed the toilets and turned on the taps. I also went to the science room, got a selection of (dead) insects, and put them in the boy's pencil case. Then I went to the principal's office and was sent home. My mum had just finished telling me off (and sentencing me to a week of laundry and dishes) when she got a call from the school. Basically, it was just about the insects, but Mum went bonkers. She stuck me in my room and duct taped the door shut. Soon, Jason came back home from school (the same school as me) and told Mum about all the toilets clogging up. Mum decided it was me (when it could've been anyone), and told the principal it was me. I got expelled pretty quickly after that.
My next school was going well, and then I got to middle school. You remember the boy who called me fat? He was back. He kept poking me and calling me rude names. I decided to give him something to remember. I got a balloon, a cereal box, some Cool Whip, and some tape. I taped a blown-up balloon to the cereal box, covered it in Cool Whip and sprinkles, then gave it to him to cut. He cut the cake, and BOOM! He ran, and he opened the door of a nearby classroom to hide in. I'd planned for him to do that, and so a frigid bucket of water fell on him once he opened the door. The fun was not over though. The bucket had superglue on the rim, and as it touched his shoulders, it stuck. Basically, he ran around the school soaking wet with a bucket on his head, and I was the prime suspect (because somebody saw me hiding behind a locker laughing maniacally).
Other than my schoolyard escapades, I'm actually a sweet girl. I like helping people, and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone. Except the guy who called me fat. I'm quite smart, and I love to play trombone as well.
Now, my brother Jason. He's perfect. I'm not even lying. He has perfect marks in all his advanced placement subjects, he's kind, he's caring, and he's determined. His rival, Sakamoto Asuka, got accepted, and Mum has been so mad about that. Sakamoto is a very restrained person who's also mature. She's not very kind or friendly. Although when she got back home for the summer holidays, her front lawn did catch fire. Mum accused me, and said it was because I was jealous of her for getting in because 'I'd never be as smart as her.' It actually wasn't me, and I saw her move her hand and the fire went away. It was interesting, but I never told anyone.
Where were we? Jason. Jason is amazing, and I think he's Mum's favourite. I don't know where Dad is half the time, but he's usually in the garage making something. I think Dad likes Jason a lot more than me too.

Anyway, back to the story.
I drank the rest of my orange juice and started going to school. My friends Iris and Kiana were waiting for me at the corner of our roads.
"What if the scout's at our school today?" Kiana asked, and I tuned out. Kiana is dead-set on going to Dayton. She's got top marks in everything, and she's definitely a realist.
"They wouldn't come to our little school, you know." Iris giggled.
"Come on! They'd totally come. Since I'm there!" Kiana laughed, and told us about how she was the perfect student.
I got through the day, with only two mishaps. I ran into a guy in the hallway who was in a suit, and I apologised profusely, only for him to laugh and say it was okay. I also got into an argument when someone asked me if my jeans were plus size. The guy in the suit was watching, and I got shivers.
I got home to find Mum holding a letter. It was in a plain envelope, and my name was on it. Not our address. Not our zip code. Just my name.
"Another message from your friends." Mum tossed the letter at me and pushed me upstairs. She saw Jason come through the door, and gave him a hug. She then got out some cookies from behind the counter, and gave some to him. I felt mad because I wouldn't get cookies, but I stayed quiet. If Mum heard me complain, she'd duct tape my door again. And maybe my window.
I got into my room, and opened the envelope. Then I screamed.
"Congratulations." The letter began. "You have been selected to attend Dayton High. Please go, with your belongings for the next year, to the Seattle Art Museum so we can pick you up and take you to the school as soon as possible."
There followed a list of things I needed, and I felt happy. I packed everything, and went downstairs.
"I'm just going to Kiana's house!" I called out to Mum.
Mum ignored me as she helped Jason with his Calculus homework.
I walked out of the house and down to the City Center. I found the SAM, and there was the guy in the suit outside it!
"Hi, I'm Rennie." I introduced myself.
"Hi Rennie, I'll call up the ride." He pressed a button on his iPhone, and a limo rolled up. He opened the door, and I went in, ready to escape all my home problems.
Bye Mum.
Bye Jason.
I'm off to school!


© 2015 HSS_Fan


Author's Note

HSS_Fan
Sorry about the tenses!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on April 1, 2015
Last Updated on April 1, 2015
Tags: elemental, high school, elements


Author

HSS_Fan
HSS_Fan

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand



Writing
Arrival Arrival

A Chapter by HSS_Fan