Our Family Cabin

Our Family Cabin

A Story by Kayla
"

It's an essay, not a story

"

The great room inside of my family’s cabin holds just as much beauty as the Adirondack Mountains.  There is a floor and a very tall ceiling.  There are pillars that serve the purpose of supporting the walls and the ceiling.  This room is full of dark green colors on everything that you look at.  It serves as a bedroom and a living room.  It has many amazing pieces of Adirondack style furniture.  This includes beds, dressers, a chest, fold-out couches, shelves, knick-knacks, a deer head, a chair, a china cabinet, a fireplace, guns, a bear skin, and a television.

            The largest room within my grandfather’s log cabin has two beds, two fold-out couches, five windows, a television, and many other pieces of furniture.  The ceiling is about twelve feet high and requires two horizontal log pillars to keep it together.  On the other hand, the linoleum floor is made to resemble a wooden floor.  Each strip of “wood” is a different shade of brown.  They all come together to form a spread of many little squares.  There is also a very big rug that covers the floor.  It is rough and collects a lot of dirt from the constant flow of traffic.  The entire room smells of fresh pine and it looks like a warm and welcoming place.

            This great room is filled with a lot of beautiful furniture, including a dresser, two beds, and a chest all on the one side of the room.  Both beds are against different walls and they have golden metal frames that are cold when touched.  There are three layers of blankets on each bed.  The bottom layer is a soft white sheet.  This sheet is followed by an itchy red flannel blanket.  Then topmost cover is a green, red, and white checked bedspread.  There are four pillows on each bed.  Two are white and match the sheets, while the other two match the bedspread.  Behind both beds are two windows.  Each window is dirty and has a lot of dust collected on the window sills.  The windows themselves have thick frames with chipped white paint.  The curtains that hang above those windows are hunter green and also have a lot of collected dust.  These curtains have a pretty floral print on them.  Then sitting proudly in between the beds and the windows is a big brown wooden dresser.  Usually on top of the dresser are a green flashlight and some spare change.  There are about six drawers.  Two are full of many different, colorful flags.  The rest are filled with items that have been collected over the fifty years that my family has owned the cabin. 

            At the end of the bed on the left wall is a wooden chest.  The chest has many extra pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags.  Some blankets are soft, and others are coarse.  The pillows all come in many colors and sizes.  Most of the pillows are rough and feel like a bean bag chair.  The three sleeping bags inside the chest are made for little kids.  The oldest one is really dilapidated.  The design on the front of that sleeping bag has the Sesame Street characters.  The zipper on this sleeping bag does not work, and it has not worked for many years.   The second oldest sleeping bag is also beginning to become dilapidated.  This one has Ariel, Ursula, Sebastian, Flounder, and King Triton from Disney’s The Little Mermaid on it.  The third sleeping bag is in good condition.  It has a large picture of one of the Dalmatians from Disney’s 101 Dalmatians on it.  This sleeping bag is fluffy and keeps the user very warm.  All of the sleeping bags are child sized only.  An adult or teenager would not fit in any of them.

On the next wall there is a fold-out couch.  The frame is made from a light colored wood.  The cushion is a dark green.  It is harsh and has hard buttons, but it is comfortable enough to sleep two people.  Above this couch is a shelf with books, knick-knacks, and an old radio on it.  The shelf and all of its amenities are covered in dust.  The books are all old and worn.  The knick-knacks are all little figurines.  They come in many different shapes and sizes.  The radio is dirty.  It has one large speaker and two small tuning knobs.  This radio has cobwebs spreading from it because it has not been turned on in many years.  Then just above the shelf is a male deer head.  His name is Staghorn and he has prickly sandy-colored fur.  His antlers are huge and branch out in many directions.  Staghorn has black marble eyes and long eyelashes that are covered with cobwebs.  His nose is hard, black, rough, and cold to the touch because it is not his real nose.  The deer head as a whole collects a lot of dust from hanging on the wall all year round.

            To the right of the green fold-out couch is a window and then a chair and china cabinet.  The window is the same as the other windows in the room.  Its white chipping window frame is dirty and has a green floral curtain surrounding it.  In front of this window is a small chair.  The seat is woven in an intricate way.  It is very comfortable and smooth.  The back of the chair is made from wood.  It is cold and not smooth.  There are two pieces of wood that connect one back piece to the other.  This chair is really cute, but one thing that is cuter than the chair is the china cabinet.  The china cabinet is enormous.  My grandmother always keeps it free of dust and other dirt.  It has three big drawers.  There are small random items, such as pencils and pads of paper, in the first two drawers.  The third drawer is the kid’s drawer.  There are crayons, coloring books, McDonald’s toys, and many other kid related things inside of it.  The china cabinet has two glass doors.  Behind the doors there are shelves.  Each shelf is overloaded with loon and canoe collectibles.  The bottom shelf also has three journals that are filled with stories from everyone who has stayed in the cabin.  The journal that is currently being worked on is red with a heart on it.

The next wall is very important because it contains protection and warmth.  All the way to the left of the wall is the door that leads into the kitchen.  The door is a dark chocolate color.  It is a massive door with a chipped brass doorknob.  Beside the door is the fireplace.  The fireplace is small but provides a lot of heat.  It is green in color and has a clear glass door.  There is an extremely big smokestack that goes out through the ceiling.  The smokestack is black and has a magnetized thermometer to tell the temperature of the fire.  Against the same wall is a gun rack.  The rack has about four or five bb guns and rifles.  Directly above the gun rack, Buster the bear hangs on the wall.  The bear is a bear skin sprawled out vertically over the wall.  His head pokes outward and he bares his rubber teeth and tongue.  The feel of his black fur is soft and fluffy.  The hair is really long and he has a lot of it.  The next item is close in distance to the bear.  This piece of furniture is the television.  It is an out-dated version of a television.  It is gray and covered in dust.  There are a lot of buttons that control the device, right below the screen.  Then sitting on top of the television is the remote that controls it.  The remote is as black as Buster’s fur.  It has all purple buttons except for the red power button.  Finally the last piece of furniture is the second fold-out couch.  It too, can comfortably sleep two people.  The wooden frame is an even lighter wood than the other.  The cushion is more comfortable than the other couch.  It does not have hard buttons and it has a softer fabric.  The design on the couch is a green, purple, and black leaf pattern.  This fold-out is large and fluffy, but it is extremely heavy and difficult to fold back up into a couch. 

            This amazing room is a family room and a bedroom.  It has two beds and two fold-out couches.  There are many windows and a door.  This room has a lot of entertainment for the children.  Examples are the coloring books, McDonald’s toys, and the television.  There are two animals hanging on the walls.  All of the knick-knacks and collectibles reflect upon our family history and what else has yet to come.

© 2010 Kayla


Author's Note

Kayla
This was an essay that I wrote for my College Composition class. We were supposed to completely describe something we knew VERY well!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the name Buster for the bear
Umps

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Added on October 15, 2010
Last Updated on October 15, 2010

Author

Kayla
Kayla

Rochester, NY



About
My name is Kayla. I live in the United States of America. I am starting my first year at Monroe Community College. I am extremely close to my family. I have three best friends (Cassidy, Karl.. more..

Writing
Alazainia Alazainia

A Book by Kayla


The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Kayla