Oh, the Bovine!

Oh, the Bovine!

A Poem by elani

Again, he stood still as he saw me break in two. He held her hand as he saw mine tremble, smiling at her, laughing with her -- killing me. There is no refuge in the golden bottle that wets my lips every time I tilt my head back. As my balance shifts, the thoughts I no longer want to think, the feelings I no longer want to feel, find peace only to be brought back to the upright and logical position with a swallow. She smiles at me. She wants to make a lasting impression on the women who threaten her with only their presence. The impression she leaves is that of a bovine creature having sat on my chest, compressed my lungs and sent the breath streaming from me. She left me stupid and dim.
    Lingering on her features my eyes cannot take in the whole creature at once. He kills me -- she kills me. He is the man holding the rope around the bovine's neck, having bought her from a seedy peddler named Chance and become fascinated with her spots. She stands on a pedestal, having appraised herself as a livestock better than her owner. She worships herself, but wants to worship her owner. He wants to be worshiped, and does not worship her; he is fascinated with her, but does not praise her in all of her glory. She tells the story of how they met looking down the tip of her nose -- not at me, but at the man! She did not choose him, at first, but he was persistent, and she had to give in. Now they sit before me and the Woman who holds their fate as a couple in her hands. The fate was sealed and delivered by him, when he placed the responsibility of his own relationship on someone else's shoulders. His faith in his own relationship was nonexistent and his confidence timid from the beginning. He kills me by trying to love her.

© 2008 elani


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a emotional and psychological portrait of a hurting moment, sensitively painted. I liked " Lingering on her features my eyes cannot take in the whole creature at once". Well done ! thanks also for reading my poem AIR, much appreciated. Gandr�

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 6, 2008

Author

elani
elani

North Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA



About
I am an architectural student at Southern California Institute of Architecture - SCIarc for short. On the side, I paint and write and would probably never call myself a writer - in my opinion, anyone .. more..

Writing
self-sabotage self-sabotage

A Poem by elani


Confession Confession

A Poem by elani