Unlikely Friends

Unlikely Friends

A Poem by Laura Garcia

I have become a master of darkness. 

Living in my demon’s shadow and following it wherever it goes,

Hiding right underneath it because I’m terrified of the brightness.

I haven’t felt light’s gentle and warm fingers touch over my skin for so long I’ve forgotten what they feel like altogether. 


My demon and his shadow also have other friends that haunt me from the inside.

They are invisible bodies with loud voices that constantly echo in the back of my head everyday living rent free, having me paying taxes.

And these voices willfully arrived with sharp fingernails which have left permanent sketches upon my right wrist.


In the first encounter I had with my demon it also came with loneliness

Who wrapped a cold blanket around me making my skin like ice

Causing many to slowly drift away like snowflakes since they were scared to also become a lonely snowman. 

Afterwards, my demon slowly creeped up behind me and gave me a tight hug,

Reminding me that he’s my only true friend and I’ll never get away from him.


Loneliness then led me to the house of his fellow friend Sadness whose father is Depression and his mother’s name is Insecurity.

With the assistance of this peculiar family, I learned how to drive down life’s path,

Seeking help from them only because they were the only ones I could trust. 

They are always in the car with me guiding me to the unknown location but never arriving. 


Along the road I’ve had to pick up many of their friends.

Anxiety came quickly after I turned on the car, Bulimia arrived one rainy and cold night, Self Deprivation came when cold-hearted people judged me in a traffic light.

The journey that started in a small car has become a school bus filled with the people that slowly sucked the light in me,

Replacing it with their dark and dirty concoctions. 


These friends have come and go like leaves flying away into the sky.

But the one that has never left is my fallen angel. 

My demon that arrived unannounced and interlaced his fingers with mine,

So tightly that our hands have eventually become one

And he’s constantly taking the lead about where it is we go next. 


So I ask you my demon,

Where are you taking me next? 

How many more of you friends do I have to associate with before you finally leave? 



© 2020 Laura Garcia


Author's Note

Laura Garcia
What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

14 Views
Added on December 10, 2020
Last Updated on December 10, 2020
Tags: sad, depression, los

Author

Laura Garcia
Laura Garcia

About
Hello everyone! I am a teen who loves to write since it's a way I get to express myself and everything that's going on in my life. Some other things that I like to do are reading, cooking, coloring, a.. more..

Writing