like smoke

like smoke

A Story by Laura

The fluorescent light bore down upon us, soaking through our shut eyelids. The opening and closing of the wooden door prevented us from fading into a deep sleep. Smoke consumed the length of the room, settling hazily above us, around us. The constant creak of the stairs above us kept us our heart beating fast, alert.

I had just emerged from the door, using one hand to carefully pull it shut behind me, the other I used to ball into a shaky fist to cover my uncontrollable coughs. You had been lying there, alone, on the rough carpet. Your piercing blue irises were sealed away, hidden from me, by your shut eyelids A slight hint of a smile had been playing upon your face. You groaned and mumbled something- to yourself, or to me, I am still not sure. You had one arm positioned behind your head, another spread beside you.

My mind had been that of a foggy day, it was unclear. But from that spot, my aching limbs longed to be beside yours. I lay down next to you, and your arm curled behind my neck, cautiously caressing my hair. I allowed myself to sink into you, my body seeping into yours. It felt natural, nothing else. My heart was stumbling upon itself, skipping beats and racing fast. It was not performing like a normal heart, no, it was performing like one whose owner inhaled too much smoke, one whose owner was exchanging body heat and small touches with you, finally.

 I looked at you- really looked at you, for the first time. You turned to me, and laughed. Your faint freckles folded into the crinkles of your face as you laughed, and it made me laugh, too. We were submerged within our own world. Everyone and everything around us was simply a blur, a rush of colour and movement that bled into the reality that I had been blocking out. It was so simple, you were so simple. I didn't need sleep, or dreams, for mine was right next to me. For those brief moments, that one night, you were all mine, and that was all that mattered.

When I woke the next day, and the effects of the smoke had worn off and faded away, my feelings did not. I could still feel your breath on me, the slight touch of your finger on my sensitive skin.

 This will linger.

© 2012 Laura


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You had me hooked from the first line. Amazing piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laura

10 Years Ago

Thank you so, so much! :) That really means a lot. I'm glad you liked it!
a Breath-taking Romantic Write I am awestruck by this piece!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm not sure if this was a dream that comes across like reality or if it was a reality that came across as a dream. Or perhaps a bit of both. It's really well written. I takes us on a visual and surreal carpet ride during a moment of smoke induced hallucinations.

Nice!
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago


Laura

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much! Yes, you would be right to assume it is a bit of both. I am glad that my wri.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5007 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on August 30, 2012
Tags: romance, love, teen, linger, smoke

Author

Laura
Laura

NY



About
hello! my name is laura. i find writing to be a major aspect of my life and i try my best to turn my feelings and thoughts into words that people will enjoy and hopefully be able to relate to. but abo.. more..

Writing
ghosting ghosting

A Poem by Laura


bloodstream bloodstream

A Poem by Laura



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End. The End.

A Poem by Courtney


wake up alone wake up alone

A Story by Laura