you are the moon

you are the moon

A Story by Laura

The day's end is pronounced by the moon's awakening. It sits above us, almost unsure, as it gleams faintly upon us, creating our shadows. I turn to you. The night has stripped all of colour, leaving only a dim outline behind. Still, in the calm of the darkness, you glow. You radiate beauty, your shine similar yet seemingly more spectacular than the stars above. Even underneath the sheet of black, you appear flawless to me.

Calm and clear, you blur the demanding darkness and replace it with a light so pristine that no being could deny its beauty. I wish you could see beyond the faults you claim to hold. There are angels in your angles. The moon is reflected in the far water, and I watch as its distorted image glistens gently. Still, a shattered surface is all that you have ever known to believe. The moon continues its quiet ascension upwards and over the horizon. It slowly emerges from night's unfolding arms, flooding the sky with its luminance. The silence soaking the air is filled only by the rhythm of our breath.

 I exhale, and my breath raises in the cold. I watch as it dances, then fades away into nothing. As you sit there, beneath the makeup and the perfect placement of your ginger hair, I see you, and you are absolutely luminous to me. You have curled yourself and caught yourself in your own tangles that wrap around your ribcage and restrain you from realizing what I do. You don't see what you possess, what everybody sees. You bite at a polished nail, and I look up to the moon. It rises, every night, to drown a dark evening in light. The moon's beauty is skewed beyond skies and seas, almost singing, as it shines all alone. Darkness being its only company, it provides us with a brightness that everybody recognizes, but the moon cannot see it.

I turn to you once more, and you give me a forced smile. You are the moon, I want to tell you. You are the moon.

© 2012 Laura


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent work.
Could think again if you should keep the line, "It rises, every night, to drown a dark evening in light."You know moon has a cycle to follow.It shifts between full moon and full
moonless stages.Is not it?
You may also omit the apostrophe s( day's, moon's) by simple actions.
Enjoyed a lot,lovely writer.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Another Wonderfully Well written Piece. I love the description and flow of this. I think I have actually read this before. Although its apparent I never reviewed. Excellent write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was outstanding! Once again in had that surreal feeling to it, but the description in this one was much more defined, creating a world in which, for a brief moment could be stepped into and we're allowed to coexist within the scene, embracing all the emotions and feelings and visual beauty.

Amazing Ink!
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

467 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2012
Last Updated on September 2, 2012
Tags: moon, you, are, the, night, beauty

Author

Laura
Laura

NY



About
hello! my name is laura. i find writing to be a major aspect of my life and i try my best to turn my feelings and thoughts into words that people will enjoy and hopefully be able to relate to. but abo.. more..

Writing
ghosting ghosting

A Poem by Laura


bloodstream bloodstream

A Poem by Laura



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stabbed Stabbed

A Poem by Amanda


Our Melody Our Melody

A Poem by Mir


My Existence My Existence

A Poem by AnnaMae