Solitude

Solitude

A Story by Mackenzie
"

Again, not a full story. Just a musing. I tend to do that a lot.

"

The rain is inevitable. It can be heard in whispers interwoven through the leaves of the poplars. The air feels tight, and heavy with undeveloped droplets. Everything is slower; the waves on Douglas Lake are plentiful but little more than ripples, and even the conversations between the birds seem delayed. A light grey blankets the sky, save the edges of the horizon which are a brilliant white. Closer to my field of vision, I can make out individual trees across the bay, but to the north, the haze blends them into an undulating row of slate.

When it does rain, I will be somewhat sheltered.  I sit nestled beneath a pine on a cushy bed of moss. The lake is close; if someone were to startle me, there is a distinct possibility I might toss up my notebook and tumble into its chilly waters. Chipmunks scurry past, their fur bright orange against the green leaves. A squirrel clambers up a tree, boasting a fuzzy black tail that isn’t quite as big as he thinks it is. He vanishes from sight probably because he, too, knows the rain is coming.

So I am left by myself in the woods once again, alone to take in the showers. But then I smile at my folly; is one ever truly alone in the forest?  

© 2013 Mackenzie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on December 5, 2011
Last Updated on January 28, 2013
Tags: nature, trees, forest, chipmunk, squirrel, lake, Douglas Lake, Michigan, outdoors, solitude, peace, rain, sky