Memories

Memories

A Story by Leticia Z

Ever since I was a young girl, I have lived in New Mexico.  I traveled extensively when I was young by reading many different books.  Life was such a journey waiting to happen as I opened that book.  My father did not allow television in our home so there was no escaping our hot bedroom unless the air from a book graced my face.  The radio was a sin deluxe and his attempts at getting us to live a quiet life at such a young age were distracting.
IN his mind, we should have been completely well behaved and we were while he was around.  Then our real selves would come out and I would be out playing.  I was such a tomboy and always on a skateboard, skates or playing ball.  In a dress no less.  My parents raised us pentecostal.  As young girls we were Pastor's kids.  So we were not allowed makeup, color, nice hair dos, nice shoes or anything that was nice.
My mother tried so hard and she would sew clothing for us all the time which made us feel so special and beautiful.  There are still several dresses I remember loving.  A blue flower filled dress with beautiful designs and a form fitting bodice.  A yellow somber jacket with a plaid yellow and black a-line dress.  Beautiful, business like and modest but it made me feel tall and powerful.
The minute I arrived home I would throw off my school clothes, leave them on the bed and go outside to see who was playing ball.  Hours later I could here my mother screaming at me to come and eat because the food was ready but I was busy.  One memory I have is of her yelling at me to come home and shower.  So I rammed my head under the water, changed my t-shirt and ran back out to play.  This was only successful for a few minutes.
Ahh the memories.  Yet I also remember the flashlight which would be under my bed so that I could read.  Or getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom to read.  Slowly trying to not make a sound or a squeak while I got there.  Fearful I would wake them up and they would come and force me to sleep.

© 2015 Leticia Z


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on January 21, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2015
Tags: sleep, reading, sports

Author

Leticia Z
Leticia Z

Clovis, NM



About
Since I was a young girl libraries and books fascinated me. I could enter another world and live there until I was finished with the book. My Little Princess was my favorite book and I have read it .. more..

Writing
Walk Fast! Walk Fast!

A Story by Leticia Z