The Story of the Queen

The Story of the Queen

A Story by lexi
"

A different take on the story of Rumplestiltskin.

"
A long time ago, in the kingdom named Dovisia, there lived a king and queen. Deep in the heart of the kingdom was there home, the castle. Its walls made of stone white like the feathers of the seagulls that fly over-head. They ruled over the kingdom quite strictly, enforcing so many unnecessary rules. Most of the villagers despised the king and queen, for they often hanged those who deserved otherwise.
    The royal family had everything they could want. Between the wealth and power, there was only one thing that they didn't have. An heir. The queen had always longed for a child to call her own, but she couldn't ever conceive. She called upon doctor after doctor, none of them could find a thing wrong with her. There were rumors of a man who could solve her problems. He was said to make deals like the lord of the flies would when there was something to be gained. The queen wanted to find the man that so many rumors centered around, but no one knew his name.
    Late at night, the cobblestone streets were only lit by the brush of moonlight coloring its surface. Many of the villagers had retired to their homes already, for there was a curfew set by the queen. It's quite unusual when someone breaks curfew, even more unusual when that someone didn't live in Dovisia.
    The strange man who looked like the one described in the multiplying rumors walked strait to the gate guarding the castle. He cocked his wrinkled head to the side, and the doors slammed open. Immediately, every resident lit a candle in similar brass holders and gingerly peered through their door and down the street. Some eyes widened when they saw the man, others ran back into their homes and slammed the light, wooden doors. The man continued inward into the castle.
    The king and queen had already been awoken by their guard when the man came through the heavy doors.
    His wrinkles stretched to for a smile as he approached the queen."Let's make a deal, shall we?" He giggled cheerfully like he was mocking her.
    "Who are you?" the queen demanded. The king ordered the guard to aim their spears towards the man.
    "No No No.. That just won't do!" he waved his hand like he was casually casting something away, and the spears shot out of the guard hands and into the ceiling. "We can't negotiate like this. This simply won't do! If you want a baby, because I know that's what you desire, you can't aim your silly toys at me!"
    Baffled were the faces of the king and queen. This strange man did posses powers, but what did he want from them?
    "What do you want from us?" the king had finally spoken, and had skipped directly to the point.
    The odd man began to pace back at forth, a smirk growing like weeds on his face. He began to laugh again.
    "What would you give to have a baby, my queen?" he questioned.
    "Anything."
    His eyes grew wild. "Would you give. . . another child?" his laughter erupted.
    The king didn't understand. Quite frankly, neither did the queen.
    "Here's the deal..." he began. "You, my queen, will not only have one child, but two!"
    The queen looked over to the man she loved and smiled. So much joy had radiated off of her is such little time, she was glowing.
    "Now now! Nothing comes without a price!" he does make deals like the lord of the flies. "You will pay me with one of the children. Here's the catch! One, if kept by you, will grow up to resent you, and eventually take all of your power. If you don't keep that certain baby, you will never be stripped of your power! It's a shame I won't tell you which baby happens to be which! You could be overthrown, or raise a completely obedient child. Complicating, now isn't it, my queen? I'll be back soon, you won't even notice I'm gone!"
    The king wrapped his arms around his queen. He had wanted a child, but not like this.
    As the man turned to leave,he started to sing.
Today do I bake, tomorrow I brew,
The day after that the queen's child comes in;
And oh! I am glad that nobody knew
That the name I am called is Rumpelstiltskin!
 
 
    Almost a year's time later, the queen gave birth to twin girls. One named Emma, the other Bliss. Rumpelstiltskin returned, looking exactly the same.
    "Where's my baby!" he hollered. "I heard it was a girl!" the same laugh bounced off his tongue. A tear ran down the queen's face, and the king kissed the foreheads' of each baby.
    "Which one do you want?" the queen barely spoke above a whisper, her eyes were locked on each of her daughters.
    "It's your choice, deary!"
    She handed him the baby with brown curls adorning her head."This is Emma..." she gave her one last kiss on the forehead. "Please, take good care of her."
    Once Emma was in his hands, he answered. "How hard could it be to take care of a perfect, obedient child? If I were you, I would have given over Bliss. Your choice was made!" and then he was gone, along with Emma. Next, of course, is the story of her daughter Bliss, the girl destined to overthrow the queen.

© 2012 lexi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on December 19, 2012
Last Updated on December 19, 2012
Tags: Rumplestiltskin, fantasy, kingdoms, fairytales

Author

lexi
lexi

About
I'm a young writer working my way through highschool. Writing is one of my favorite hobbies! My favorite genres to write are romance and fantasy/fairytales, and my favorite to read are the same:) more..

Writing
Love is Love Love is Love

A Poem by lexi