If You Would Look Up Our Names

If You Would Look Up Our Names

A Poem by Libby Carsons

Previous Version
This is a previous version of If You Would Look Up Our Names.



If you would look our names up in a dictionary, you would find us to be antonyms.
So opposite, yet brought together through contradiction.
We are the incompatible combination of letters from the alphabet that don't pair up.
That never will.

We are not the lovely c and h's nor are we the original s and t's, but the unfortunate x and z's that are kept apart with one letter.
Why?
Because it's just the natural order of things; something beyond our control.

Yet when you held me close amongst the sheets and blankets,
And told me not to go,
All the letters and complications fell away like drifting debris.
I thought that was enough to contradict otherwise.

So I keep looking.
I keep reading to look for our names to appear together in a sentence again.
For a possibility that our lives can be written together one more time. 

© 2013 Libby Carsons




Reviews

I haven't read the other poem but you figurative language is gorgeous. Like reading a magnificent simile or a beautiful metaphor.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

thank you so much!
wonderful write, what a great idea that you just got to write...that's pretty amazin'.
good luck 4 your next beautiful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

thank youu!!
Wórdsmíth

11 Years Ago

okk!!
I really like this. It reminds me of a better time way back when

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

thanks so much!
This is excellent. You use a lot of great metaphors especially in the second paragraph. I like the letters and dictionary concept that you use throughout as well. Great work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

Oh thank you so very much! I really appreciate it!
Cute, but it seems just a little too artsy to be artistic. I wish you'd gone into more detail as to the background of the people being discussed, as I feel that would make for more interesting reading, but instead you chose to limit yourself to this, which, although well-written, is not half as interesting as it could be. A good first effort though.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

Hmmm...interesting. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea, thanks for the review!
Beautifully written, great job with this one...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Libby Carsons

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 22, 2013
Last Updated on February 22, 2013
Tags: names, love, alphabet

Author

Libby Carsons
Libby Carsons

Brooklyn, NY



About
I'm a student studying in New York, studying interior design and trying to find the meaning of passion. On what it really means to feel it, to be affected by it. Wondering if writing is my passion. I.. more..

Writing