Gift of the Phoenix * updated*

Gift of the Phoenix * updated*

A Story by Anjelika
"

This is the updated version. i fixed some errors and mistakes. its not finished yet

"

When the flame that had been burning for the last ten centuries of our time fell to a sudden wisp and winked out of existence, the group of women and men knew they were about to witness something rare. They stood in a room of a dungeon that was shewn out of a rock, circled by small frail windows open in every direction to the sky beyond. A chill wave of air slowly crept into the room, past the circle of the cloaked figures and into the ashes left by the flame. One by one, the figures each departed from their standing position to place the crystal sphere, also known as the gift of remembrance, upon the gigantic stone plate where the flame was once burning. The gift was more then often said to bring back life and brightness back into the universe once the flame dies out; and the council knew that their ancestors were trained and tested for this very day. 


Ahmed, the head of the council, gave Leila a warning glance. She was the youngest and the last out of the group to deliver her gift of remembrance. She took a deep breath and forced herself to control her shaking hands. Even a minor scratch of one of the spheres would mean that the council had failed there duty to deliver it to the ashes of the flame. Just don't drop it. She thought.


All awareness in the room turned to Leila. Suppressing her nerves, she focused and withdrew into herself. Her vision withdrew too until all she saw was the remains of the eternal flame in front of her. As she started taking steps towards it, she felt the sphere warming up against her skin; reverberating with sparks of electricity. As time was slipping Leila had the odd feeling of eternity pausing and claiming this one moment that would engrave its mark on history.


Before she knew it she was standing directly in front of the distinguished flame. Her eyes looked down at the sphere in her hands. It was shaking more vibrantly then ever before. The electrical sparks were pinching at her already trembling hands that were burning of the spheres agonizing heat. She felt tears welling up inside her eyes as she bit on her bottom lip to take her mind of the pain coming from the sphere. You can do this. The quicker it's finished, the sooner this will end. So she let out a deep breath and started to sing the chant.


Leila felt the song begin within her; and sang it with more then just her voice. The magic carried out the song across the entire land to every soul in it. Leila felt immersed with power; her body pulsating with the sphere. But when the last note had been sung, the magic and the power had died away with it. Her gift of remembrance was remaining still in its place after she tore the palms of her hands away from it's surface. I did it. The sides of her mouth curled up into a smile as she looked back over her shoulder and met the eyes of Ahmed who gave her a returning glance. The room was then filled joy and triumph from the rest of the council as they cheered in glory and success.


“I am proud to say that we have succeeded our master. And we will forever pay tribute to our ancestors that have prepared us for -” But just as Ahmed was about to finish his sentence, a scream from one of the women stopped him in his speech.


Leila stared mouthed at the sight before her. A veil of darkness swept over the land concealing every bit of light. The only light anywhere in the land was now inside the dungeon as a spark of fire landed itself in the middle of the room. Realizing the uncontrollable flame started to grow, the members of the council backed further away from the center circling around the magnificent sight.


The fire had now started to mold itself into a gigantic pair of wings that rose high up into the ceiling. Leila’s eyes were glued by an unpredictable force on the dancing flames of fire as she watched the mighty creature emerge right before her eyes. The Phoenix. She told her self.


The glorious bird.


Leila saw now why the Phoenix was so called. It's feathers were so brilliant they appeared still to be aflame. It's eyes shone and danced as if made of glowing embers. The magnificent bird filled the windows with light as it flew in and dwarfed all the members standing week-kneed in front of it. The great forceful wind from its glorious wings beat back Leila’s hair and cloak. All the members in the room could feel as much heat from the phoenix then as they did from its void left by the absence of the flame.


Surrounded by its kneeling worshippers, the Phoenix gracefully planted it's feet on the ground in the center of the room.


“ My master. It is a pleasure to have your presence at this time” Ahmed spoke in a smooth and a gentle manner towards the Phoenix as he bowed down to the bird. The rest of the members followed.


The bloodcurdling melody of the birds raouring voice echoed a thousand miles through out the land.


“I have not come to devour myself into this celebration. For there is no celebration for me to devour to”


“What could have possibly then caused you the trouble of coming here at this hour?” The room felt into sudden silence, as the members waited for their masters reply.


“You have failed Ahmed. You have failed to deliver the gift of remembrance. And in result of your foolish acts, the whole universe will suffer because of you”


© 2015 Anjelika


Author's Note

Anjelika
Please please please give me feedback. it would mean alot if you could tell me the problem with this or how to make it sound more interesting. thanks! :) Did you all like it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on May 3, 2015
Last Updated on May 3, 2015
Tags: Phoenix, egypt, adventure, mystery, magic, supernatural, new, gift, short story, ffedback