Too Many to Count.

Too Many to Count.

A by lilfeather
"

Jason talks about his addiction to alcohol.

"
His first drink was at the age of five, his back molars paining him terribly. A few sips of whiskey numb the pain, amusing his mother and her friends when he giggles and passes out.

His second was at the age of ten. His mother lay on her bed, naked to the waist and cold to the touch. He drinks what's left in the bottle and wonders why he can't cry for her as he sits by her body.

His third was at the age of twelve and fast became his numbing agent of choice. A quick shot helped to chase the pain away, block out the sound of footsteps outside his bedroom door, and make the nightly event more tolerable. He drinks more often, cuts school and falls in with the worst crowds.

He no longer counts how many drinks he's had, gave that hobby up the night he almost overdosed on J.D, so desperate was he to forget the fact that at fourteen, he'd killed someone. His hands shook, his older friends laughing as they hold him over the toilet, their raucous jeers echoing in his ears.

It's a series of hazy, blurry and disorienting years. He dries out several times when Judy's words pierce his heart. The guilt he feels fuels him to want to be better. He goes back eventually, though it's easier to keep control. She helps him with his moderation and for that he's bitterly grateful.

And when she brings Conner home, he can see it in his eyes, smell the fear on him and see his blatant distrust. He sees himself in Conner's pained eyes.
He keeps a close eye on Conner, afraid to stay away for too long. He won't let Conner travel down the same path. After years of struggling, Jason has his drinking under control. He indulges, but never to the excess, never again, it's far too dangerous to be so unaware at all times. Conner struggles, Jason behind him as he fights his battle. He'll help him, do whatever it takes, and for once, he'll feel as though he's done something good and right, something worthwhile. This he'll do, for him, he'd do anything. After all, what are brothers for?

© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
A bit angsty, I know. But please review! Tell me what you think. Jason is a character from my story "A Tale of Four Brothers", if you liked this you should read that!

My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this, a lot. It's always good to do a little bit on a character from your story, to develop them a bit more. I like how you gave a bit of Jason's story, but didn't tell the reader everything. It is obvious he's had a hard life, but it is good to know that he is helping Connor. I like how he sees himself in Connor.

This reminds me of my guyfriends, one in particular. He gets wasted just about every weekend, and smokes pot too. He just started trying hallucinagins as well. Hopefully, like Jason, he'll be able to put it behind him one day.

Anyways, really good read. Nice job.


Summer

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
1 Review
Added on August 22, 2008

Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing