The Peacock and his Colors

The Peacock and his Colors

A Story by De'Anna
"

about how the first peacock got his beautiful colors.

"

 

The Lord looked upon his newly created earth and smiled gently. He saw the tan lion and the white lamb resting together and knew everything was perfect. The eagle soared high above the land, calling out to his brothers. The tigers roared in the jungle, searching for something to satisfy their hunger. All the animals were at peace, all except for the young, white Peacock.
            The large bird looked around his surroundings upon his perch in a large tree near a valley. He saw the lion and the lamb; he saw the eagle above him and the osprey following close behind.
 ‘The land is so beautifully colored.’ The Peacock thought as he sighed. He looked up into the sky to see something peculiar in the sky and beyond the clouds. He stared at this wonder as a few of his so called friends flew to his perch.
 ‘What are you looking at my friend?’ The Scarlet Macaw asked him; ruffling his green and red feathers.
 ‘I was looking at that thing in the sky.’ The Peacock stated, still staring. His white crown flicked up and down. The Baltimore oriole chuckled at the young birds’ wonder.
 ‘That, my friends, is a rainbow. The Lord created it just a little while ago.’ The Oriole said, still chuckling.
 ‘Why is it so many colors?’ The Peacock asked, tilting his head to the side to get a better look.
 ‘I don’t know, but it is rumored that if someone reaches the end of the rainbow they will become the most colorful animal in the world.’ The Oriole stated, he seemed to have no interest in becoming the most beautiful bird in the world. His black and orange feathers were already bright enough.
            There was a silence between the three birds as they all stared at the rainbow.
 ‘I’m going to fly to the end of that rainbow, and I’m going to be the most beautiful bird!’ The Scarlet Macaw stated and ruffled his feathers proudly.
 ‘But my friend, you already are colorful enough. You have all the colors I could ever imagine!’ The Oriole said, surprised at the audacity of this young and naïve bird. The birds were silent again.
A little, red Cardinal flew by proclaiming he was going to be the most beautifully colored bird in the world. The Peacock gasped at the bird and quickly flew off his perch. He flew as fast as his wings would go, carrying his large, feathered body. He flew past the Cardinal; knocking him rudely out of the sky. He heard his friends chanting for him as he flew faster and faster. He could see the rainbow getting larger and wider as he grew near.
He beat his wings faster, he saw the Eagle soaring high above him; almost touching the rainbow. The Peacock squawked at the bird; the Eagle looked down and screeched, he turned back and left the peacock alone. The Peacock started to sweat as his altitude lowered, his wings tired as he came nearer to this large, colorful rainbow.
Finally he had to land on the ground and run the rest of the way. The rainbow ended on the plain just ahead of him; it was beautiful and gold as it hit the ground. He had to gasp and hold his breath as he stopped to see this sight. He quickly came back to reality when he heard the Cardinal not far behind him. He quickly ran and jumped into the rainbow; feeling himself lifted into it. The rainbow warped and became a straight beam up to the sky. The Peacock was lifted high into the air, his wings and his tail open wide as color was painted onto him.
 “You may be the most colorful bird of all, but you will not fly long trips any more.” The Peacock heard a loud voice sound. As the color finished painting onto his body there was a blinding light; binding the color to his body.
 “It is done.” The loud voice said as the bird was settled back onto the Earth. The rainbow was the now gone as the Peacock stood back on his own two feet. The Cardinal finally caught up to the bird, panting in the hot sun.
 ‘You are a lucky bird Peacock.’ The Cardinal told him. The Peacock just smirked as he looked his body over. He was now royal blue. His tail feathers were green with great blue and red eyes on the ends of them. He quickly put up his display, frightening the Cardinal who quickly flew away.
            The Peacocks friend’s finally flew to him in the plains. They landed beside him and caught their breaths.
 ‘Congratulations Peacock, you are now the most beautiful bird in all the land.’ The Oriole praised him.
 ‘But I can no longer fly.’ The Peacock said; now feeling the full weight of his body. ‘Well I can fly to my perch but no higher.’ The Peacock said sadly.
 ‘To all wants there is a consequence.’ The Oriole said.
 ‘So I have seen.’ The Peacock lowered his display and walked away.

© 2009 De'Anna


Author's Note

De'Anna
this was done for school; narrative story. Do you like it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on July 17, 2009

Author

De'Anna
De'Anna

Hopless Valley, RI



About
Hey, My name is De'Anna. You can just call me De, or Kyla. Kyla is my name i use often in my stories and around the internet. I'm 16 and living in Rhode Island. I'm a junior at Chariho High School and.. more..

Writing
Moving Words Moving Words

A Poem by De'Anna


Revenge Revenge

A Poem by De'Anna