White Lion

White Lion

A Story by Donald Meikle

          To sit in a corner of a Welsh pub on a slow Wednesday, sipping a slow black stout occasionally enough to satisfy the barkeep, trying not to smile as the girls switch to Symric to discuss my curiosity and appearance.

        

  Gone are the days when anyone could come in and have a sip. I stand to take a large swig of the stuff my granddad weaned me with,wiping wet lips on a willing sleeve, then walk out back to the piss stone to relieve myself.

 

 I re-enter to the waiting watchers and sit slowly down beside my glass. I deliberately look into as many faces as possible while doing so to determine how much of me they now perceive.


Reading a bar is a well learned habit for any construction worker to have but somewhat unnecessary here,except for checking on who needs watching out for.


The girls are back to speaking English and the miners are busily discussing football.  I take my glass up to the bar and slide it towards the barkeep. 

"Thanks"

I say quietly and head towards the door.   He nods and answers me with a smile.

© 2015 Donald Meikle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I very much like your style of writing -- you've created a scene, given a little history for the Main Character, but I'm not sure you really have a story here. For me a story needs to include some element of conflict and perhaps I've missed it, but I don't really see it. Maybe you'll say, "Duh, hon, look again." Anyway, I always promise to be honest and hopefully constructive. As a reader, I wanted more (which is a good sign). You've created the setting, introduced the Main Character and now where are we going? I'd love to read this again if you expand it. Let me know, please.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald Meikle

8 Years Ago

just painted a picture of unchanging Wales
I like Wales; especially the rain, it suits the mood of the people; and at least you got a smile.

Cheers. T

Posted 8 Years Ago


Reminds me of times when my father and mother would take my sister and I to what was then our local pub 'The Pilot'' wonderful view over Swansea Bay and ever so old fashioned.

Haven't visited in a very long while; (twenty five plus years,) so can't help wondering how much it may have changed. Enjoyed this so very much and glad you got a smile.

Beccy.

PS. My mother and father both speak Welsh, but we moved away at a very early age so it remains mostly a mystery to my sister and I.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald Meikle

8 Years Ago

It probably hasn't changed much You might appreciate my mother's interjection into a Welsh conversat.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
B
its so cool how you write of being in the moment
we all live outside of the time we are experiencing

this is pretty cool

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
4 Reviews
Added on December 5, 2015
Last Updated on December 5, 2015

Author

Donald Meikle
Donald Meikle

Halifax, MA



About
Liverpool born,USNavy vet. Enjoying first marriage. three daughters, (two bathrooms) one until they left. (a tree that loves me) Poet thru geneology) Scot Irish. Living in New England more..

Writing