The Length Of This Lifetime

The Length Of This Lifetime

A Poem by Linda Marie Van Tassell
"

The length of this lifetime is short and sweet.

"

 

 

The length of this lifetime is short and sweet

like a ruffle of ink into the sea,

a mindlessly beautiful winding sheet

that spirals like silk deep inside of me.

 

I fell from your lips into the abyss

tortured by hunger for more of the same

nourished by ghosts of your immortal kiss

that weep in my heart when I call your name.

 

I drift like mist into that sacred place

and anchor in silence, flowering deep,

bone-deep in the memory of your face

on the wingspan of hope that haunts my sleep.

 

The world unrolls in a carpet of night,

and a shower of stars rains in my hands.

I fade into the breath of sheer moonlight

dancing like a god over desert sands.

 

The length of this lifetime is but a breath,

a breath in the moments of loving you;

and I’ve tasted such sweetness that my death

will spark like the sun on a stem of blue.

 

© 2021 Linda Marie Van Tassell


Author's Note

Linda Marie Van Tassell

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

For once, we disagree. Our lifetime goes on forever, and is forever new. :-)


Posted 9 Years Ago


I'm sure that with you....sweeter still. How lovely!


Posted 9 Years Ago


The imagery is superb, as always, the rhyme is flawless, the rhythm is very nicely done, and the message is incredibly profound. As always, magnificently written! The second stanza was particularly appealing. Your poetry is breathtaking.

Posted 10 Years Ago


we write, then we right. You right my tilt ,brush the smudge of my world, and so quick I step from my path knotted up inside me to yours. May the moment warm you as it did me. May the loss float your future to a light. May the starlight sparkle in your eyes, the character of future take a hold of your hand.Even for a moment let everyone else loose and let you be you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love the rhythm of this, Linda Marie, and the intense imagery that you use so well. There's something so other worldly about this piece, a spiritual leap into a sensual pool, a subconscious unravelling of a depth of knowledge obtained only through an intense and selfless love of another. Marvellous.

Posted 10 Years Ago


In the moment I read your piece spill, I came back to read some more, and it amaze me again, on how beautiful, how intricate the feelings, how it simply speak of love so softly, so delicate as it is precious. How you open your heart and put into words is simply amazing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I came across this poem and I was immediately hooked by the title so I decided I must read it. You didn't disappoint here. You captured my attention from the very first line and managed to hold my attention throughout. This poem appears to be flawless. I see nothing wrong with it. Very good job on this poem and I look forward to reading more of your work. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

565 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 22, 2013
Last Updated on May 2, 2021
Tags: Length, Lifetime, Short, Sweet, Breath, Death

Author

Linda Marie Van Tassell
Linda Marie Van Tassell

VA



About
Poetry has been my passion since I was about fifteen years old, and I love the structure of rhyme and meter moreso than just randomly throwing words upon a page without any form whatsoever. Whi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fly TRAP! Fly TRAP!

A Poem by Muse


Ours Ours

A Poem by Muse