The Ocean Is A Woman

The Ocean Is A Woman

A Poem by Linda Marie Van Tassell
"

You will never know what hides behind her eyes by skimming the surface and reaching dry land.

"

The ocean is a woman turned to the skies,
spilling her thoughts along a shoreline of sand.
You will never know what hides behind her eyes
by skimming the surface and reaching dry land.

 

Her soul is silent and runs deeper than deep.
O!  How silent and deep her rivulets run!
Her whispers will charm you and lull you to sleep.
Let silence enter and the two shall be one.

 

Her coral cathedrals give pause to the brave
so eager to dive into the depths of youth.
She hides, yet magnifies, the giver who gave
sweet pearls of wisdom and immutable truth.

 

The ocean is a woman walking on waves,
wrapped in wind-song between heaven and the shore,
lightly tiptoeing over watery graves
buried deep where the sunlight can reach no more.

 

She tosses to turn; and she rises to fall,
undulating with her ubiquitous hips.
She dances on decks, over promenades all.
She is the sepulchre of a thousand ships.

 

Deep in her depths, the ocean is listening;
and my heart is haunted by love for the sea.
Waves are rippling; twilight is glistening.
The ocean is a woman and she is me.
 

© 2008 Linda Marie Van Tassell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely piece of poetry with inner strength.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is a wonderful piece of writing, I can see why Ivan was inspired to pen a companion for this, who wouldn't be?

I've become a big fan of your's. Looking forward to reading more of you.
Antonio xx


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very beautifully metaphoric poem; I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a great write and it goes into my favorites. Awesome.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautiful poem. I was station at Fort Ord, Ca. before it closed down. Nothing as powerful and beautiful as the sea. Only a woman can compare to the great sea. Her emotion and strength is the key to a success of life. The compete poem was strong and the ending was perfect. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


i was led to this from flawed's companion piece, and i can so easily see why he was inspired. this is just as fluid as the subject matter - never heavy handed with the rhyming.. gentle soft and made me long for the new england shores of the atlantic ocean.. (the pacific is also a beautiful water, but the atlantic seems somehow more untamed and powerful to me)

Posted 13 Years Ago


wonderful imagery
the write is a smooth free flow to it
with underlying mysteries
beautiful woman

Posted 13 Years Ago


Depending on the type of swim I choose to take, the treasures can be many, oh, but the treachery can be paramount. I really liked this, the song of the siren mixed with the lusty lure of a lifetime of pleasure and pain. Silky smooth, I loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful :) You certainly are one of my favorite authors, and this exquisite poem shows just why.
It is difficult to maintain a good meter, and a good rhyme scheme while sounding natural, but it all comes so easy to you.
There are a lot of lines that really caught my attention. The overall theme was executed perfectly. The duality of the poem was very pleasant.
"Her coral cathedrals give pause to the brave".. nice alliteration!

"The ocean is a woman walking on waves,
wrapped in wind-song between heaven and the shore," .. beautiful lines

The penultimate stanza is particularly good, both with its diction and flow. And the alliteration in each line is very enjoyable.

The conclusion sums up the entire poem very skilfully, very simply and very elegantly.
"The ocean is a woman and she is me."
I'm sure of that :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wash me over with your sea waves,
Embrace me in your mystic blue,
Let me sink to depths of your soul,
I want to feel you through and through!

A very beautiful picturesque poem. You were right in so many ways comparing a woman to an ocean. Nicely done!

:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yes! the Ocean IS a woman! A beautiful, well penned, and wonderfully woven words.

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5482 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 19, 2008

Author

Linda Marie Van Tassell
Linda Marie Van Tassell

VA



About
Poetry has been my passion since I was about fifteen years old, and I love the structure of rhyme and meter moreso than just randomly throwing words upon a page without any form whatsoever. Whi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cafe Heart Cafe Heart

A Poem by c.m.


Storm Storm

A Poem by Giulia King


Swell. Swell.

A Poem by c.m.