Ode To Datura

Ode To Datura

A Poem by Linda Marie Van Tassell
"

It's the bud on the stem behind the eye.

"

Sweet scent is blasting through trumpet flowers,

the narcotic breath of beauty and bane.

From Shiva's chest they sprang, pale faces rose.

Krîm Krîm Krîm - magical power demesne.

 

I stroll slowly through the moonlit garden.

Her voice is calling, beckoning - eterne.

Sphinx moths drink her spirituous nectar -

hummingbirds hovering to win their turn.

 

O! Sacred visions! They open their eyes,

poised in the liquid silver-whitish light;

and eccentric colors and fragrances

erupt in the air of Datura's night.

 

Proportions and densities never known

are pronounced on chameleon comets.

Palmful of pleasure, a whirlwind of bliss,

a gambol of glee through gleaming grommets.

 

The petals turn to mauve and magenta.

A phoenix rises and flies off the sky.

It's neither illusion nor delusion.

It's the bud on the stem behind the eye.

 

My body is burning; my mind turning.

I am a lotus of lusty perfume.

I camber on the cloud of a carpet -

a shower of electrum in the bloom.

 

Ecstasy of the soul! A cry of love!

His exquisite skin is a mystery.

He is flame of fire, the salt of the earth,

the winds of heaven, the tides of the sea.

 

The black velvet of his hair in my hands,

as I kiss him beneath the fragrant tree.

Heaven-on-earth is embodied complete.

His lamp of love is lit inside of me.

 

Petals and perfumes and pleasures abound

in the prologue of peripheral vane.

Krîm Hûm Hrîm Krîm Hûm Hrîm Svâhâ Hrîm

Krîm Krîm Krîm - magical power demesne.

© 2010 Linda Marie Van Tassell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I got the Hindu imagery, but became a little lost in the overall meaning behind the poem. Perhaps that''s because I'm not a Hindu. But it's intense - once more - and deeply reflective. When you made the leap from 'she' to 'he', I must admit I was lost. Who 'he' was is a matter between you and your muse.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The true beauty of the poem escapes me, because of the mythological references like Abdul mentioned.
Regardless of the nature of the content, I can concur with Abdul in terms of the imagery and vocabulary used.

Very well done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I am surprised Dinesh didn't get it. This poem incorporates Hindu mythology in it, which I unfortunately am not acquainted with, though he is. Hence, I will refrain from referring to the allusions.
I want to talk about the poetic grandeur of this poem, though. I have never read such mesmerising metaphors, such diligent, vibrant descriptions and such alluring alliterations all together in one poem. I think one line sums up the genius of the poet :
"a gambol of glee through gleaming grommets." .. this is pure magic :)

"I camber on the cloud of a carpet -" is another such line full of alliteration.

Your vocabulary is intense, and the imagery is haunting. The poem reads like an enchanting ride into a forest filled with mystery. What is most intriguing about your poems is that they all feature imagery of the highest order, and yet, I do not see you repeating the same metaphors or similes.

I must say with all honesty, you have taught me more words in this poem than I have learned in the past couple of months.

Absolutely beautiful poem, going in to my favorites again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thinking about Egypt and love eh? That's lovely. I have often loved Egypt and studying the culture. It's very beautiful. I like this and especially the mention of the phoenix. I have been in love with the concept of the phoenix for a long time. I actually want a phoenix tattoo. So this was a very nice poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago


If you originally wanted this to instill a 'Dark divinity' feel, I didn't get it. As a poem, this is Ok. I mean, the words were good and once again, good rhymes. But I am sure, I didn't 'feel' anything. Maybe you should add more words or imagery that relate to the subject. On the contrary, if you had only planned this as a simple ode to the thorn apple, I should say it's better.. :) BUT, this one's NOT like your other writes, and I should say, I'm a bit disappointed in you as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


There are several Hindu writers here at the Cafe, who would probably understand your allusions better than I. I will send a read request to Pratibha, and request that she circulate it to her network.
It sounds like it might have been inspired by the Bhagavad Gita. If Hindu is a style that you enjoy, may I recommend "The Mahabharata", by Rick Puetter?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 3, 2008
Last Updated on July 11, 2010
Tags: Ode To Datura, Datura, Linda Marie Van Tassell, Linda Marie

Author

Linda Marie Van Tassell
Linda Marie Van Tassell

VA



About
Poetry has been my passion since I was about fifteen years old, and I love the structure of rhyme and meter moreso than just randomly throwing words upon a page without any form whatsoever. Whi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..