Flame Wars

Flame Wars

A Story by Davidgeo
"

.

"

Usually I don't write stories.  But this is a topic I feel needs to be addressed.  And since I have intimate experience with both sides of the spectrum on this matter I thought I might share my insight from those experience's.


People who incessantly talk s**t about a single individual over a long period of time get a weird, unhealthy satisfaction from it. I'm not talking about a little jab here and there, or a small argument with someone. . . I'm talking about a weeks long campaign specifically dedicated to bringing a single individual down.

 

When a person tries to pull someone down over long periods of time it's usually a sign of cognitive dissonance and extreme insecurity. That person thinks they are pulling the other person down closer to their level and closing an imaginary gap between them, thus making them the "better" person because deep down inside... they feel inferior and lack genuine self esteem.   In reality, there is no gap... it's a thing that person has subconsciously manufactured to make themselves feel more relevant and productive than they actually are without doing any original or imaginative work in reality. Their "achievements" and satisfaction from carrying on with petty hatreds are all in their head, the "purpose" that drives that hatred is all in their head, their entire "reasoning" behind such behavior in general is all in their head.


When was the last time someone objectively better than you at anything focused specifically on you over long periods of time solely for the purpose of "s**t talking", or constantly wrote "hate poems", or incessantly spread lies, stories, tales and exagerations about you? The answer is probably... never. Only weak, insecure, and people who feel guilty about something believe that they need to do this over and over and over again. 


Always remember that internet flame wars are fought with imaginary bullets... they can only hurt you if you let yourself truly believe that any of this s**t is relavent to real life or a productive way to express yourself in any sense of the word.

© 2019 Davidgeo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I left a site precisely for what I see happening here now. I've not been here a year yet and have no understanding of the history that went on before. I don't like vendettas and I don't want to be in a situation where I am being dragged in to stuff I have no understanding of. I have always found you respectful of my views even if you might not agree with them. I am happy to call on your work and intend to continue to do so David.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

KWP

5 Years Ago

the thing is you see, people get caught up on the little things, they get attached, they also misint.. read more
Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

It takes a lot of energy to approach the world as yourself with ease, confidently. The internet mak.. read more
KWP

5 Years Ago

That last sentence made me laugh out loud - what the hell do you mean my poetry is amateur? No way m.. read more



Reviews

I saw a nasty feud break out on another site, the result of which was that a couple of people were expelled. These things tend to produce more heat than light. Thus I stay away from them.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

If you can do it then staying away from it all is absolutely 110% the right call.

"mo.. read more
Everyone has an ugly side, but we get to decide who sees it and how often.

I find it healthier for me, and others around me, when I keep the ugly bits in the shadows.

I guess that's a more difficult struggle for some. I've always felt the behaviour exhibited by certain people here to be pitiful.

But old wounds heal slow and the smaller man will always want the last word. It takes a bigger man (or woman) to just say "f**k it" and not fire back. And a great deal of patience to wait out the bullets. Because eventually the noise has to settle.

You've just fired back but I'm sure it's not the last word. You've delivered with a higher degree of intellect and style for sure. But no less strategic in my opinion. You've drummed up some enviable support.

Like Chris, I won't stop visiting your poems unless you offend or attack me, personally. When I was attacked there were people who took sides but others who remained neutral and I respect that. Neutral works in a place like this where nothing is really real.

I've always found watching the back and forth a bit annoying and do wish it would stop.

Personally, I've no love for those you speak of here. I've been dragged through the coals and mud, plud harassed repeatedly by them (and by you for awhile but I'm glad we're past it.)

This site was different when I first came here. More respectful. Or maybe I just was too new and naive.

Truth is, you can't trust anyone. So everyone should just shut the f**k up and write. And in reviews be respectful. You can leave an unfavorable review without being a total dick.

And I get where Divya is coming from with the broken English comment but sometimes even with broken English you can feel the essence of a poem.

Having said that though, if we are seriously here to grow then that means providing quality feedback is part of it so we should help people. There's nothing wrong with correcting someone and offering suggestions to edit.

But, yes, at the end of the day the top page is a popularity contest. If you review a lot you will get reviews back.
It's a numbers game.

I think in this space maybe cliques are not so bad. Find people with a common agenda. If you want brutally honest critique then engage with people looking for the same and forget about the top writing. It's not like you're going to put that on a resumé and send it to a publisher.

Anyway, I'm at risk of launching into a full on rant so I'll just say that it's a shame about this site and I do agree with many of the observations you noted above.





Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

It is healthier to keep your shadow self in the shadow's for the most part. If you can be reasonabl.. read more
I am in total agreement with on this I get hateful reviews no and again and I have left the site twice over the years wondering why even bother returning, but it is people like you that matter that makes the site worth it. Thanks for being m friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

That's high praise my friend and I really do appreciate it.

You're a good a writer,.. read more
I left a site precisely for what I see happening here now. I've not been here a year yet and have no understanding of the history that went on before. I don't like vendettas and I don't want to be in a situation where I am being dragged in to stuff I have no understanding of. I have always found you respectful of my views even if you might not agree with them. I am happy to call on your work and intend to continue to do so David.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

KWP

5 Years Ago

the thing is you see, people get caught up on the little things, they get attached, they also misint.. read more
Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

It takes a lot of energy to approach the world as yourself with ease, confidently. The internet mak.. read more
KWP

5 Years Ago

That last sentence made me laugh out loud - what the hell do you mean my poetry is amateur? No way m.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1056 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2019
Last Updated on March 2, 2019

Author

Davidgeo
Davidgeo

Johnsburg, IL



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..