Dreams

Dreams

A Story by Maggie

When I lean out the window there's a swimming pool in my back garden. It's tucked away in the corner, one side slightly curved and although I'm almost 99.9 percent sure that it's dusk, it's water glistens like small crystals and I'm mesmerized by it to such an extent that I forget where I am.
I'm no longer staring at the glistening water of the pool, instead I'm pulling my phone out
of my pocket and checking the time every few seconds as if the analog clock on the screen will make it's little hand move faster for the sake of my sanity. My nails are breaking through my skin as my hand clenches into a fist around the strap of my bag. Tighter and tighter.I'm waving goodbye to someone as I'm walking anxiously in the other direction, finally ready to find out why I was so impatiently staring at the clock on my phones screen.
It is as if I'm an outsider observing my own moves, like I'm watching a movie about
myself. Now I'm watching as my face changes and my lips curve into a smile and then into a large grin, my eyes look as if I'm about to cry and I start running towards something, or someone. Yet, I am only the observer in this situation. I'm watching myself running towards something that's making me happy but I can't see what, or who it is. The observer me is starting to get distraught and I just want to turn this off, like it could be a simple switch and jump into the body of that stupid, grinning me running towards happiness.
I blink and freeze. I'm not the observer anymore and I can see what's filled me with so much
blissful joy that I start to get anxious again. Closing my eyes, I inhale and listen to the blood pumping in my ears. My heart is racing and my body is shaking but I start to run. I open my eyes and fall into the arms of everything that I've ever wanted in my life.
My arms wrap around his neck and I can feel his warm skin beneath my cold fingertips. I
feel the blonde baby hairs on his neck and as I move my hand,stroking his hair I don't know why I've been so mindless and dim for the past eleven years.
My hearts still racing and my cheeks hurt from grinning but staring into those honey
coloured eyes, with flicks of greens and browns I can't help but realise that I've missed you more than I can put into words at this very instant, but maybe if I tried I could explain how seeing you makes me feel. How when I saw you smile at me, my stomach jumped all the way up to my lungs and caused my breathing to stop, giving me weak knees and making me look like an infatuated fool. I ran over to you and I kissed you, feeling yours arms lock around my hips. Then you pulled away and as if it was just as easy as breathing your arm glided gracefully over my shoulder and stayed there, keeping me safe from everything that could ever even imagine to hurt me. Instinctively my arms locked around your chest and I pressed my cheek into your neck, hiding my foolish grin from the world because this is just completely out of character for me and I don;t know if the world is ready to see me as being 'happy' just yet.
With reassurance you kissed my head then held me tighter and for that minute that I was
in your arms no thoughts flew through my mind bar the ones revolving around your existence and my sudden luck to be fortunate enough to be with you.

My eyes flutter open and it is day. I'm lying in my blue room, under my blue covers and
turn to the window. Tears fill my eyes but I hold them back, because I will not allow myself to cry over something that isn't in my past,present or future. Though you were once my closest friend, eleven years apart makes you nothing but a stranger, and that's the only thing I will allow myself to shed a tear for.

© 2011 Maggie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Uhm... Maggie, you said your writing is barely good. But this piece is... mesmerizing. The wonder--the joy, are contagious. I wish, for your sake, that it was more then a dream. Very well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
1 Review
Added on March 2, 2011
Last Updated on March 2, 2011
Tags: pain, happiness, friendship, love, expectations, disappointments

Author

Maggie
Maggie

Ireland



About
I write what I feel,it's not extraordinary,it's barely good,but it's what I write,and I can call it mine. What you see here is the real me. This is the person I hide away, and here I can let everythin.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Maggie


Sinking Sinking

A Story by Maggie


Selfish Selfish

A Story by Maggie