Hooked

Hooked

A Story by livlovact
"

All her life all Jaine had wanted to do is act. But not all dreams come true

"

All of her life Jaine had wanted to be an actress. It was all she could ever remember wanting. She had no idea where this dream had come from but it was a dream that, once it had hold of you, would never let go. Something had drawn Jaine to this dream and she was hooked.

 

Through eyes of longing she would watch the likes of Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett take on the screen and transform it into their own kingdom. How Jaine wished she could do that; to capture an audience with merely her words and actions. To take the famous art and make it her own.

 

Over the years she was offered many different opportunities in science, writing and film, but how could she take these ordinary chances while there was still a hope of a break into the magic of the acting industry?

 

So her answer was always the same, ‘Thanks for the offer but I have a lot going on at the moment. Sorry.’

 

On the outside Jaine may have seemed calm and collected but every night the tears would flow thick and fast as she tossed and turned, trying to will herself to sleep. She could never explain it but the emptiness and the incessant tug at the back of her mind were constantly eating away at her. Something told her that she would never be good enough to reach her goal. But during the day, Jaine struggled to hide this; who would hire an actress who would breakdown at random moments?

 

 At her high school graduation, tears fell for a different reason, as she was nominated as the one to watch in the future. Jaine was honoured that these students, many of whom she had never talked to, thought of her as someone who could truly go far. Instantly she began to prove them right when she was accepted first try into NIDA, the most prestigious acting university in the country.

 

Pacing the same halls as so many successful performers, Jaine was in the place of her dreams. This was more than she ever could have hoped for. But every few nights, the pure euphoria was taken over by that nagging tug and waves of self-doubt would wash in. Then the tears would come again, thick and fast, as the emptiness threatened to engulf her. But, as morning dawned, she would compose herself and put on the facade of confidence that she knew all too well.

 

Professors and students began to approach her for roles and auditions. Though they were all good offers, her answer was always the same. ‘Thanks for the offer but I have a lot going on at the moment. Sorry.’ She was too busy waiting for that one call.

 

That one Monday, Jaine waited by the phone, her mind caught between two warring forces. This was her big break �" the audition had gone well and she smiled remembering the look of awe on the director’s face. Yet beneath the joyful exterior, Jaine felt the rumblings of doubt and disbelief. Was she right about herself? Was she ever going to be good enough?

 

 Waking her from this thought, the phone began its shrill howl. Hand reaching out to grab it, she remembered to wait for two rings; no need to sound desperate. An overwhelming sense of accomplishment flooded through her at the words coming through the phone.

 

She had got it. The role of a lifetime was hers.

 

Any normal person would have accepted the offer immediately and graciously. But there it was again. That tug of the hook at the back of her mind, threatening to overwhelm her. In a detached voice she informed the director that she would have to get back to him tomorrow as there was something she had to take care of first.

 

Sitting there alone, a great battle commenced inside her head. Her inner fears and childhood dream faced off that night, as Jaine slumped in a heap on the floor. It wasn’t until the early hours that she emerged; a glazed look in her eyes and only one decision in her heart.

 

The next day the director found an envelope on his desk. Inside was a one line letter.

 

‘Thanks for the offer but I have a lot going on at the moment. Sorry.’

 

Jaine had been perfect for this role and the director was devastated that he couldn’t have her. Sighing he turned to the newspaper in his hand. On the front cover blared the headline, ‘Young acting student found hanging from noose.’ That hook had got Jaine in the end. And yet another dream would never be met.

© 2012 livlovact


Author's Note

livlovact
I wrote this for a school assignment. I really liked this but my teacher didn't. Tell me what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the unexpected turn at the end. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


livlovact

11 Years Ago

Thankyou for the review. The task was to write a short story with a twist. I was really proud of it .. read more
diaphanous

11 Years Ago

well...it's a good story, but maybe this wasn't a great thing to turn in as a school assignment? :3

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on July 9, 2012
Last Updated on July 9, 2012
Tags: suicide, depression, drama, acting, audition, mental illness, NIDA

Author

livlovact
livlovact

Brisbane, Australia



About
Arrrrrgghhh!!!! Judging by that you can tell I'm a bit (totally) insane! LIVLOVACT is what I live by and is my handle for everything (check me out on Wattpad as well). I hate my actual name so I will .. more..

Writing