Chasm

Chasm

A Story by Joshua Hunter
"

A new way to look at the cross...

"

I stood there at the edge of a chasm, stretching as far as I could see. I stared down into its dark depths and could not make out a bottom. I yelled for someone, anyone to hear, "Help!" But there was no answer but the echo of my own voice. I felt so lost standing alone at the edge of my own consciousness. I fell to my knees and started to weep. Waves of anguish, sadness, and loneliness washed over me. I stayed there on my knees for what seemed like an eternity. 


Then through the darkness on the other side of the chasm there came a bright light. I looked up and beheld a man, bathed in light, walking across the chasm. He walked over to me and offered me his hand. I looked at it and then back up into the face of the man. He smiled gently down at me. I took his hand and he helped me to my feet. When I was on my feet he spread his arms wide as if to embrace me, but stopped short. "You must come the rest of the way," he said looking at me. When he looked at me I could feel his gaze in the depths of my soul, stirring something within me. As he looked at me I could see the love for me in his eyes, this stranger loved me so much. But I just couldn't take that last step, not after what I had done. "I can't, you don't know what I have done." I said as the shame overwhelmed me; I didn't deserve to be loved. 


I looked down at the ground afraid of what he might see in my eyes. "I do know what you have done, and you are forgiven." And just like that all my shame, and sadness, and anguish left me and I felt only the forgiveness and redemption. I looked up into the eyes of the stranger and there it was plain as day, a love for me greater than anything. I took that last step and embraced him, his love and kindness overwhelming me. I was home; at long last I was finally home.

© 2013 Joshua Hunter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

^^ this one is very nice...I can relate to this feeling, but I guess we all can in some way. This is very encouraging, sometimes it is hard to admit to others what you have done for you feel they would not understand or wouldn't forgive you or look at you differently or all the above, but it is nice to know that God knows all and will forgive us if we ask for forgiveness and turn away from whatever we were struggling with...not meaning that we won't fall again but He is always there ready to catch us again and give us strength to overcome whatever our hardship is.

Great Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Hunter

10 Years Ago

Thanks once again, so glad you were able to get it!
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

10 Years Ago

You're welcome once again lol



Reviews

^^ this one is very nice...I can relate to this feeling, but I guess we all can in some way. This is very encouraging, sometimes it is hard to admit to others what you have done for you feel they would not understand or wouldn't forgive you or look at you differently or all the above, but it is nice to know that God knows all and will forgive us if we ask for forgiveness and turn away from whatever we were struggling with...not meaning that we won't fall again but He is always there ready to catch us again and give us strength to overcome whatever our hardship is.

Great Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Hunter

10 Years Ago

Thanks once again, so glad you were able to get it!
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

10 Years Ago

You're welcome once again lol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 20, 2013
Last Updated on June 29, 2013
Tags: chasm, Jesus, cross, help, lonely

Author

Joshua Hunter
Joshua Hunter

Small Town USA, MT



About
I am a mountain man to the core. I love the outdoors more than anything and am constantly in the woods and mountains. The only thing that I love more than the mountains is the Creator of them. When I .. more..

Writing