Tea Time

Tea Time

A Story by LizLadyNinja
"

A polygamist marraige goes wrong when the wives don't get along.

"

 

I could feel her glaring at me. She was staring daggers right into my back. Truth be told, I didn't much care for her either. I pull two mugs down from the shelves. Maybe she will choke and die.

“Just because Joseph married you doesn't mean you're welcome in my house!”

I smile to keep from grabbing the brewing kettle and cracking it over her head.

“You're just a piece of a*s.”

“Really, there's not need to be vulgar.” I say sweetly.

The kettle is beginning to hiss. Hot righteous steam erupts from the spout. I place a tea bag in each mug and reach for the sugar dish. I remove the ceramic lid and place it to the side. The dish is empty.

“Well,” she continues, “seeing as this is my house, I can say what I want. You're more like a slave...”she grins wickedly. “Joseph married you so you could help out around the house. By marrying you, we don't have to pay you.”

I take a deep breath to calm myself. Joseph had said she would act this way. She was the alpha b***h and no one was going to pee on her territory without her permission.

“In fact,” she started again, “I think that I want you to clean the kitchen. From top to bottom. I want all of the dishes taken from the cupboards and drawers; and I want them all cleaned. Then I want the floors swept and moped, and the counters so clean I can see my face in them. That should keep you busy enough. Then I want a warm meal prepared for Joseph, the kids and myself. You may have the leftovers from last night.”

How generous! I thought.

“After dinner I want the fridge cleaned out. As well as the pantry. I don't want mice getting in. At eight promptly you will draw a bath for the children. I want them in bed by nine thirty. Do you think you can handle that?”

I smile. I can handle that.

“Would you like sugar with your tea?” I ask reaching into a nearby cabinet.

“Yes, and a bit of milk.”

I grab two sugar cubes from the box. I will replace the sugar in the dish later. I walk over to the fridge and look inside. Jeremy has left a school experiment in a plastic Pepsi container near the back. I pick up the container and read the note attached. Its was a chemical cocktail. Full of wonderful cleaners like ammonia, and bleach. There are probably enough mixed chemicals in the container to kill a horse. The note also has an explanation for the cocktail. Apparently, he is testing the affects of chemicals poured down the drain on local insects.

I unscrew that cap. The chemicals have a strong oder, but not strong enough for her to smell them. I grab the carton of milk and pour the contents of the bottle into the milk container. Then I shake it vigorously before emerging from behind the door. I walk directly to the mugs, keeping the milk container out of site. I don't want her to spot the container and notice that the milk has a bit of a brown tint.

I pour it and return the tainted milk to the fridge. I add the sugar and gently stir the tea. It didn't appear to look any different than tea with milk in it. I smile and place the spoon in the sink. Then I add the sugar to my own tea and carry the mugs to the table.

I hand her the mug and she hastily takes it from me. She takes a drink and sets it down. I sit across from her and set my mug aside. She grimaces and then clutches at her throat. That was probably the ammonia taking affect. She makes a sick sucking sound and falls heavily to the floor. She squirms there for a few moments before laying still.

I take a sip of my tea. At least that problem was solved. She lay motionless on the ground. Her eyes wide, staring up at the ceiling. Her breathing was shallow and rapid. She began to gag. Frankly, I can't afford for her to vomit up my little concoction. Things will become very messy if that happens.

She wretches, but nothing comes up. Of course not. By its self bleach is not really poisonous. Neither is ammonia. But mixed with some other stuff from the school chemistry lab, well that could be a deadly combination. I'm not even sure what some of the chemicals were. She makes a gaging sound but never actually vomits.

I take another drink of my tea. This had not been my plan. But what was done was done. Now I needed to refill Jeremy's Pepsi bottle. I pulled the cabinet doors under the sink wide open. Then I went over to the fridge and grabbed the bottle. I looked at the list of chemicals and grabbed the phone.

I dialed Josephs work number. While the phone rang I looked through the household cleaners. I found quite a few. I began pouring in the bleach when Joseph answered.

“Hello?”

I give my best crying act.

“Joseph! Somethings wrong with Alice! We were having tea and she collapsed!” I try to sound hysterical.

“Is she breathing?” He asks, the concern rising in his voice.

“I...I don't think so.” I sob.

I screw the cap back on the bleach and return it. I gather the ammonia and begin to pour that. He says a few more things then tells me to hang up and call an ambulance. I hang up with him. I've almost filled the container up. There are just a few things that I can't find. I screw the cap on and shake the bottle. Then I dial 911. I walk over to the fridge and replace the bottle. I grab the carton of milk and walk to the sink.

“911 Emergency. Can you tell me your location?”

“My name is Amanda! Please you have to hurry! My wife has collapsed.” I shout.

I pour the milk down the drain.

“Is she breathing?”

“I don't think so.”

“Ma'am do you know CPR?”

“No.” I sob.

“What is your address ma'am. I will dispatch an ambulance and walk you through CPR.”

I give the dispatcher our address. I open a window to allow the chemical smell from the milk to dissipate. Then I kneel by Alice and begin CPR. It will look less suspicious if I try and help her.

© 2008 LizLadyNinja


Author's Note

LizLadyNinja
Short story written for class. Not my best....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A bit size pleasure to read. Please continue your work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lol, i think the you put just a tad too much b***h in the b***h cus its hard for me personally to believe that anyone is that evil, but over all i enjoyed reading this. I almost have to wonder if the lady is as messed up as the lady she killed since she did it so calm and organized.

Posted 14 Years Ago


great story!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved this story. Captivating and arrested my attention until the end. Wish there was more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Not the best, but it made me smile.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dug
When I was reading this, I was couldn't believe you were taking that lady's crap so well. But then you just off and killed her. :)
I'm sick, but it made me smile.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

its great and so stunning

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow...while its not the best you've written, it is still good. It definitely has a sharp edge to it. Amanda is very calm in kind of a scary way! : o Anyway, short, sweet, but still good! It makes for a very good murder mystery type story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

not your best but short, simple and sweet is better
^-^
i like how amanda is so calm and collected

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1101 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 9, 2008

Author

LizLadyNinja
LizLadyNinja

Denver, CO



About
I joined Writerscafe almost 10 years ago, when it was in its infancy. I dealt with the breakdown when it lost our writing and many of my pieces were unrecoverable. Which, as you can imagine was pretty.. more..

Writing