Existence

Existence

A Poem by the in between
"

not really a poem just ongoing thoughts...

"
The feeling of withering to nothing
is actually no sensation 
because of staying in one place too long
The feeling of not knowing anything beyond oneself
or not growing because of knowing something too long
but nothing else besides what one already knows.
is it like staying young forever?
or more like staying in the past forever 
in these strange changing times.
technology taking over; new ways of communication.
The lack of growth again... for oneself.
Or when one can just slothly pick at a cell phone.
How can one live that way without nausea?
it doesn't go away, consuming all wonder
like of what tomorrow will be or the future
further down the supposedly bright road
of endless possibilities.
Like finally feeling YOU with 
everyone and everything.
the labor one puts is of quantity not quality.
but should it not be of quality?
spiritual and value driven...
But every word, every attempt seems fruitless.
And another thing comes to...
I scream to know already
what good is all this really?

© 2011 the in between


Author's Note

the in between
please review :) leave whatever you want to

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In the beginning I will admit that I didn't really know what you were talking about. However, after reading a little more of your write I learned to understand your meaning. I believe that you are talking about today's youth and how we are becoming more unrealistic. I completely understand where you are coming from. This write has a couple of problems with grammar but its golden when it comes down to meaning. Great job, I enjoyed reading.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like this. Its a fascinating glimpse into what you are thinking about your place in that mystery of life. I guess that this is what most of my own writing is about.,
One great thing to learn form this kind of writing is that others are thinking similar thoughts. There is no great meaning to life - we muddle through. What good is this? - we can do good and influence others.
Well done
Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago


This poem unravels my brain. You rarely find a poem written beautifully that makes the reader think, usually poems are drenched in oh-so-familiar emotions that tire the reader quite easily. Keeping my attention isn't an easy task, yet this poem managed to. Frankly, I loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


this might be my fav from you to date.

It feels like a soliloquy - it has sentiments of Shakespeare's

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

It is a questioning of existence itself - a nihilistic nausea residing in the gut - just sitting there, festering, without clear definition or resolution or remedy.

The word Nausea itself esp coupled with possibility made me think of Sartre's novel "Nausea" in which the protagonist is sickened by the burden of possibility and responsibility and creating meaning out of nothingness.

This poem ends perfectly - offering no cheezy cure - life is more question mark than trite tidy slogans ending in a period.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The strange thing I've noticed about age is that we grow until we are grown and then we basically stay the same inside while our bodies fall apart. You look inside an old person sometime...there's a teenager in there...a girl or a boy who wants to be young again...who still "feels" young but their body has betrayed them...and that really is a lousy thing. I can relate to this write and I enjoyed reading...thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This flow of thoughts as you put it, I find to be one of the most amazing and profound. The idea's, images and the emotions they bring into being are pure woven wisdom. I can relate to these thoughts on so many deep levels, that I find myself in awe that a piece of ink has captured so much of what I believe.

Thanks you for sharing this!
Wolfie

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this and agree with it to a point. There is nothing better than actually BEING with a person face to face. All these social networking sites, and fancy phones have gotten out of control, but sometimes, a text message, or facebook is the only way to keep in touch with someone, and that is quite sad, but often true.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your poem has incited thought within people, it seems, or at least provoked response!
It is a personal subject for each of us I suppose.
Initially your poem drew me in as I believed that the withering about which you spoke was physical, the loss of the body so to speak! The word 'technology' clarified this for me, but the sudden jolt could be compared to the sudden leaps that man kind have made into technological advancements... Was this intentional?
Anyway, a thought provoking piece :)
Tc
xX

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your poem question many things. I believe we have depend on on electronic too much. I miss the long conversations and good friends gather for laughter and fun.
"How can one live that way without nausea?
it doesn't go away, consuming all wonder
like of what tomorrow will be or the future
futher down the supposedly bright road
of endless possibilities."
Thank you for the amazing poem. Poetry support to make you think. You did.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In the beginning I will admit that I didn't really know what you were talking about. However, after reading a little more of your write I learned to understand your meaning. I believe that you are talking about today's youth and how we are becoming more unrealistic. I completely understand where you are coming from. This write has a couple of problems with grammar but its golden when it comes down to meaning. Great job, I enjoyed reading.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The fourth line seventh word should be "Beyond"
Other then that a very depressing write, which
is perfectly penned...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

495 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on October 18, 2011

Author

the in between
the in between

unknown, CA



About
I'm just me. more..

Writing
Fire Fire

A Poem by the in between



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..