CHAPTER ONE- KAIYA

CHAPTER ONE- KAIYA

A Chapter by Liz Kamille

 

Breathless, Kaiya slowed down to a jog, her caramel skin glowing with sweat. Her morning run had taken her through the heart of the Grey Region, past the abandoned Streets of Sectors Four and Five, all the way to the gates of White. 

The year, 3024. The city, Averia, south of the Liserian Republic.  The date, exactly a week till Sector Six’s first Progression, where Kaiya would be competing to get through those gates, out of Sector Six, and into Seven.

 

She was nervous. Although she had been training for the past few months, she couldn’t help but feel somewhat doubtful.  They couldn’t prepare you for everything, especially since The Progression was different each time. There was no point focusing on one on one combat if the objective was to secure a target. No point in fighting to the death if the aim was to keep each other alive. Yes, Kaiya was nervous. No one knew what the challenge would be, not even those in The Bunker where The Progression took place. No one knew until everyone was wired to their pods, fingerprints were taken and The Watcher pressed the button. Then it began. She shook her head at the thought and headed back home. 

 

Entering her kitchen she was greeted by the smell of freshly baked bread along with sausages sizzling on the stove.

 

‘Ahh he’s awake’.

 

“Good morning Father”, she said sitting down.

 

“Good morning to you too Kaiya. Did you sleep well?”

 

They both knew she hadn’t, for her mother’s nightmares had kept them up all night; her screams and cries echoing through the walls. Kaiya nodded all the same,

 

“Yes, I did. Thanks.”

 

As he handed her a plate she could see the bags under his eyes were heavier and he struggled to keep his eyes open.

 

“You should get some rest Father”, Kaiya suggested, shoving bread in her mouth,

 

“That’s what Sundays are for right?”

 

He grunted in response. They sat in silence for the remainder of breakfast, both engrossed in their thoughts. Finally, Kaiya got up to clean the dishes whilst her father went to check on her mother.

‘I should go and see her’, she thought.

 

However, she couldn't bear seeing her mother whose illness had slowly engulfed her, a mysterious disease that had plagued their region for almost a year. The lively, outgoing, strong woman who had given her life was all but a shadow of the past -a distant memory, replaced by a fragile little thing. No one knew what the disease was and why it had come about and they were getting no answers. Doctors couldn't help and all those who fell ill eventually died. The Grey Region had no cure. But those in Silver did.

 

This was the only reason Kaiya cared for The Progression; she didn't want to "strive for greatness". She didn’t want to "do better, be better”. She was quite content living in Sector Six and although it was an average lifestyle, she didn’t see the appeal in aiming to live in Sector Ten. Being a soldier would be hard work, always following orders, always on duty, always at the beck and call of the General. No, she didn’t see the appeal at all. However, this year’s Progression was important. It was important to all those in Sector Six who were eligible to take part. Tears welled up in her eyes.


'I can save you mother. I WILL save you.'
 
***


The July sun beat down on Kaiya as she lay by Lake Aurora, just north of the Black Region. It was magnificent. Situated deep within the Aurora Forest, its surface shimmered like diamonds in the sunlight. Trees rustled in the light breeze and leaves whispered in the wind. Birds flew above, their silhouettes painting pictures in the blue sky. It would have been peaceful if not for Paige and Brett's nattering. 

"All I'm saying is that I feel sorry for them. We can all come down here to Black but they can't even come up to us in Grey. They're stuck here, they’ve seen nothing else!" the red headed boy exclaimed. 

"Well yes, life's unfair. But we can't go up to Silver or White so what's the big deal?" Paige argued. “Besides, why would anyone want to come to Grey when's there's the disease?"

Brett was quiet. 

"I just want to get the cure for Mother" Kaiya whispered.

Her friends stared at her. So absorbed in their conversation, they had forgotten that she was there. Looking at her with pity in their eyes, they both understood how important this was for Kaiya, especially Paige whose father had succumbed to the disease a few months back. They pondered how life in the Silver Region would be like; more money, better food, a better standard of living. It was rumoured that it was twice the size of the Grey Region with every cobble and every wall, glistening with specks of silver. All they had to do to get there was make it through The Progression.

 

“Are you guys excited?" Brett asked, breaking the silence. "I can't wait for mine! You'll have to come back here and visit. Okay? Until it's my turn?"

 

Unlike the girls, Brett would have to wait till winter to take part in the second Progression when he would finally be eighteen.

"Of course we will" Kaiya responded, managing a smile.

“Yeah and we'll bring back lots of stories for you!
Paige piped in.  “Woah. Wait. Guys, did you hear that?” she swore she had heard a voice in the distance.

"Breeetttt. Paige! KAIYA!" the voice called, louder this time.

 

Peter Abrams emerged from the bushes looking flustered; obviously he had been searching for a while.


"Brett!' He panted. "It's your mother! She's in the hospital. She's just found out she's pregnant!"

They gasped. This was bad news. They all knew it would
be eradicated; for everyone knew that in the Liserian Republic, all families, except for leaders of the cities, were only permitted to have one child. 

 

 



© 2013 Liz Kamille


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on August 4, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: fantasy, adventure, betrayal, deceit, survival, greatness, justice, family