CHAPTER TWO- JEREMIAH

CHAPTER TWO- JEREMIAH

A Chapter by Liz Kamille

 

It was that dream again. Not like last time but the time before that. Her face was clearer this time; dark, angular, with a prominent nose and strong features. Wiping the sweat from his brow, Jeremiah got out of bed.

The year, 3024. The city, Averia. The date, exactly three months since his eighteenth birthday, when he earned the title of third in command to the General.

 

“Commander!”

 

Soldiers saluted as Jeremiah walked through the pristine corridors of Valexia Hall, centre of the White Region and home to the General.  He passed countless paintings that laced the walls with stories. Stories of battles, stories of soldiers, stories of past generals and their families who had long ago graced these halls. One wall showed a detailed map of the Liserian Republic- from Averia to Kryon, Valic to Decerom, cities etched in gold.  Behind the General’s double doors voices could be heard, Jeremiah knocked then entered.

"Father? You asked to see me? "

The General beckoned him in, his eyes still fixed on the document before him. 

Standing on either side of him were the twins, striking in their uniforms. Louisa wore her navy hair straight while Katarina’s curls escaped from a high ponytail. For a while, no one spoke. Jeremiah’s eyes wandered round the colossal office as he tried to avoid the silver stares of his sisters.

 

‘Who needed a room THIS big?’

 

 It contained a bookcase so large it occupied the whole right wall. Three enormous sofas surrounded a mahogany coffee table that stood proudly in the centre of the room. The General’s desk took up half of the left wall, while a mini fridge and drinks cabinet occupied the other half. Jeremiah studied the family portrait that hung gracefully on the back wall, focusing on his mother, whose grey eyes followed him as he walked towards his father’s desk. She would have been proud of him- proud of his title, proud of the man he had become.

 

“As you know Jeremiah, Sector Six’s first Progression commences next Sunday”, the General finally stated, not looking up.

 

“Yes Sir.”

 

“Katarina has suggested you take part, as one of the obstacles. There have already been five Progressions you seem to have avoided and this is partly my fault.”

Jeremiah looked to Katerina. Why did she always have that smirk? It was like she knew something he didn’t.  He remained silent.

 

‘She wants me to screw up. They both do. B*****s!’

 

Of course he wouldn’t fail. He shouldn’t. He was an impeccable soldier, swift and calculated. One would be if they had started their training aged ten.

 

“You will be briefed this afternoon”, his father continued, “Not only about Sector Six’s Progression, but all the others as I expect you to participate.”

 

“Yes Sir!” Jeremiah saluted then left the room.

 

He really didn’t want to take part in any of the Progressions. It wasn’t that he was scared or apprehensive; he would just rather stay here in the Capital, advising the General on important affairs, like the running of the Averian army for instance. But of course he didn’t have a say in this. Being third in command clearly didn’t matter; the General always listened to the twins.  Perhaps it was because they were older, or maybe it was because they were his kids, not the adopted boy who was so obviously different with his coffee coloured skin and chocolate eyes.

***

 

Although from different Regions, Ysabella and Andrew had grown up together.  They had met when they were three, not that they remembered. They become friends when they were five and best friends aged six. They had fallen in love at thirteen and were lovers at eighteen, not that anyone knew this for a fact. Like a garden, love had blossomed from that seed planted aged three. Like a garden during winter, their love had diminished under the icicles of society.

They broke it off at twenty, Ysabella was promised to Michael, Andrew married Giselle. But like a garden in winter it wasn’t gone completely; it sat waiting, waiting to feel the warmth of spring.

***

 

Jeremiah’s sword crashed against Will’s, making his best friend stumble.

 

“Is that all you’ve got?!” Will laughed, pressing forward. “You won’t last five minutes in The Progression boy.”

 

Jeremiah snarled and pushed him back. He hated being called that. Boy. It was so condescending. The two year age gap didn’t make him any less of a man! He was just as good as Will, sometimes even better.

 

 They continued to fight in the courtyard, much to the amusement of the girls walking by. Will proceeded to show off, twisting and turning as he tried to knock Jeremiah off his feet.

 

‘Flirt.’

 

The girls giggled in response, their eyes fixated on Will. He was typically handsome- blonde hair, blue eyes, muscles that protruded through his clothes. Jeremiah, on the other hand, was what girls would call cute. He had a cheeky smile that would light up a room. It wasn’t that he was skinny, or small; it was that despite being 6ft2 with a strong build, he was nothing compared to his friend.  

 

The girls’ distraction had given Jeremiah the upper hand; spinning and swerving, he managed to knock Will to the ground claiming victory.

 

“Was that your best boy?” he said as he helped his friend up.

 

Will chuckled, patting Jeremiah on the back.

 

“You know what? I think you might actually be ready!”

 

‘Condescending. So, so condescending.’

 

But he did feel ready. He was prepared. This time next week, Jeremiah would be down in The Bunker, wired to his pod, ready to take part in his first ever Progression.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2013 Liz Kamille


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good. It has lots of detail and a nice elaborate story line. The whole idea is really interesting. I can't wait to read more. Keep it up!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 4, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: fantasy, adventure, betrayal, deceit, survival, greatness, justice, family