Chapter Three: Stay

Chapter Three: Stay

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson

Chapter Three: Stay

 

Darting from her bedroom with both arms stretch out straight with her lips making a buzzing sound, Abigail is pretending to an airplane.   The little girls running in between the furniture in the living as she is flying around giant mountain peaks and through puffy white clouds. She is making her way to the kitchen for a landing, abruptly she stop as the small child observer the strangest sight, her mother and father sitting close together both holding a single electronic tablets.  Matthew looked up to catch her staring at them perplex.

 

“Hey Sprite, is everything OK?”  She nodded yes slowly breaking the spell.

 

“Daddy, can I have some Sprite?” 

 

“Oh…well…Ulm,” his eye pointed at Ebony as she nodded yes, “OK, sure baby go get it.”  She zipped to the refrigerator with glee pulling open the door grabbing the small green bottle and sprint back to her father to open it.  Hearing the bottle open releasing pressure letting air hit the beverage causing it to fizzed, Abigail handed her father a cup to pour the soft drink into, she can hardly wait to consume the clear sweet drink.  She is sipping and enjoying it return staring at her parents odd behavior, in her short life which seem long to her, she never seen her mother and father so close like that.  Ebony glances up seeing her daughter look intently at them again.

 

“What?”  Blurred out Ebony at her, finishing her drink she shoves the empty cup into Matthew hand.  Lifting up arms like wings of an airplane making a buzzing sound with her mouth, she is back into the clouds; spinning around in the kitchen then dashing back into her bedroom flying high into the heavens.  Matthew watches with enjoyment as she runs out of the kitchen he quickly glance at Ebony which is staring at him with a smirk.  “Just remember, you did that,” she spoke in a sanctimonious voice.

 

“No not on purposes, it was an accident,” he pleading with her again.

 

“Yes, my daughter is strung out on sprite she got to get her fix everyday or she goes crazy...”  Ebony explains in a serious tone, but chuckles of laughter keeps blurting out.

 

“I thought it was water, you know they both look alike…,” Matthew is mumbling as they both are carrying on a humors conversation about Abigail obsession for sprite, all of a sudden Ebony felt her stomach growled.

 

“I need to stop, my mind is mush and I am hungry, I haven’t eaten all day, what about you?”

 

Matthew have not thought about eating his mind has been occupied by the radio interview confusion and the fire storm it has cause, but as soon Ebony ask him he felt famished, “Yea, maybe we should order something?” he suggested.

 

Hopping to her feet Ebony lifted up her hands and arms high into the sky stretching her body putting an arch in her back like a gymnast preparing for a meet.  Placing both hands on her hips scanning the spotless kitchen wondering if their something they can eat now, she turning her head back to view him still watching her when she contorted her body in a sensual angles and forms, she grinned only with her lips.  She took a few steps opening cabinets to see what behind the doors, not knowing his layout of the kitchen she is exploring to find where he keeps the food, “Maybe we can find something here.” Explain Ebony

 

Then she found the cabinet filled with cans and seasoning, excited she one handed fist pump a sign of victory and she notices the radio just below the door on the countertop.  “It’s too quiet in here we need some music,” pushing the button, the radio is already set on a classic R&B station, she realize that her favorite radio station, but she know he likes to listen to news talk, ‘boring!’  It did not matter the song is rocking so she turn up the volume as the melody fill the kitchen, from her head down to her hips is swaying to the beat of the music as she scan inside the cabinet try to find something good to eat.  The choices she had is limited, a few cans with dust on them of dull mix-vegetables and peas.  She knows Matthew do not plan to eat those unless he snowed in and there is nothing else to eat, then she saw cans of Mac-n-cheese and beef ravioli, she figure that will work.

 

The rhythm of the music is overwhelming to Ebony that she need to get her arms, legs and feet into her freestyle dance she performing, the song is way before her time but the beat has the right grove.  Matthew is bouncing to the music too and enjoying watching Ebony breakout in her dance, leaping to his feet sashaying behind her wanting to join his ex-partner in this kitchen dance party.  She looked over her should catching sight of Matthew turning to face him smiling brightly, Matthew has two left feet so he just dance silly and crazy.  Ebony truly enjoys Matthew inane dancing laughing as they lock hand together.

 

The old school hip-hop song ended and the couples are giggling over the silliness of their dancing, ‘just like old times,’ Ebony and Matthew thought to themselves, she turn toward the cabinet to grab the cans of beef ravioli.  A classic slow jam is now playing, Matthew arm went around Ebony waist spinning her to face him, “Oooh, Oooh,” she is a little startle as he draw her closer to him.

 

“May I have this dance?”  Ask Matthew tenderly, she wanted to say no, but she gaze into his precious puppy dogs eyes feeling warm all over as one hand is around his neck, eyes shut laying her head on his shoulder, he holding her firm slowly spinning.  The sound from the speaker is ideal all of the interments from the pianos to the horns are at perfect pitch and the voice from the singer is smooth and romantic.  The former lovers are in a wonderful dream of passion and affection is reemerging, the dance for Ebony and Matthew are in sync as they step, step, STOMP!

 

‘Ouch!’  She grimmest when Matthew hit her toes, but that ok an inerrant step she thought while staying in the mood of the dance.  Looking into each other eyes as they continue dancing, step, step, STOMP!  “Ouch!” Ebony cried out because he hit the same spot again which disrupt the rhythm as they both slightly stumble trying to keep dancing.  The third time she stops the dance pulling away lift up the offended foot trying to shake the pain away, “Baby, baby, my foot can’t take it anymore, did you forget everything that I taught you?”

 

Matthew realizing that his misstep was hurting Ebony foot he is greatly embarrass and disappointed with himself in destroying the romantic mood, “I’m so sorry, I hope its OK?  I guess I’m a little rusty in my slow dance skills,” smiling hopping his humor would make it better.

 

“I guess you are rusty, so when was the last time you went dancing?”

 

“Well…Ulmm…,” Matthew had to think because it’s been awhile since he went dancing with anyone, “Oh it was the Under the Sea dance, something, I guess party.”

 

Ebony thought ‘Under the sea dance,’ she remembered it was the hospital employee Christmas party they went to five years ago.  She looking into his eyes somewhat shock and concern, “Mat, that was our last dance as a couple five years ago,” her hand touching his face.  She is wondering is there something wrong with him, he has not gone dance for so long and maybe stop dating completely.   He can see the worried look from her feeling the need to defend his non action in socializing.

 

“You know I have been very busy I’m deeply involved in my church, I started my insurance business, and you know all the drama with Aunty Jen and raising Sprite and keeping those boys away and I decided to run for congress I am insanely busy.”  Matthew grinned.

 

“Awwho, there are no boys chasing Abigail she only five,” slightly shaking her head with a smirk, “I’m busy too but I haven’t given up on life, I am out their trying to meet people so I can find that soul mate or something.  Matthew you just stop, are you lonely?”

 

Matthew can hear in her voice and see her face the sorrow she felt for him at the thought he is alone with no one he can confided his soul too, she continue to touch his face and shoulder as if by her touch he can become whole.  His is moved by the outpouring of emotion for him by Ebony, back in his mind he never stopped loving her, but now that fire on the inside of his soul is becoming white hot for her.  He could not help running his fingers through her hair, his whole being wanted to kiss those soft lips now, but he still fear that it too late to restart the relationship again.

 

“Ebony, I am now the happiest I have ever been, God has truly blessed my life, it’s all good.  I do have a single regret about our relationship.”

 

“What that?”

 

“I wish I would have man up and fought for our relationship survival instead letting it die because I was afraid.  You know it’s true you don’t appreciate someone until you lose them.  I realize I had the best with me all along and I gave it up, then I could not correct it because you move on dating someone else got engage everything, odd you did not get married.  I was depressed and sad I knew I blew it, but that experience brought me closer to God, that was assumed.  There is a reason I don’t date because I still want…” he pause, changing his train of thought, “I love you, and I am glad you are here, this day is the worst for my campaign but I don’t care you made this evening great, thanks.”

 

Hearing those words Ebony heart is filled with strong emotion of love, her physical heart is pounding, swiftly her hand took hold of Matthew face drawing it closer to hers, he did not resist as their lips came together in passionate kissing.   Their arms are embracing each other eyes closed as they kiss, the room is spinning as an explosion of love is pronounce in one lip locking kiss.  Soon their cheeks are caressing as she slightly pull herself away from him, “I got to go,” she whispered.

 

“You can stay,” said Matthew, his lips touching her cheek, slowly going down her neck on to her shoulder.  Ebony stepping away from Matthew as he watching her grabbing her keys off the table, breathing heavy, “If you don’t mind I let Sprite, no I mead Abigail stay here over night you can take to my moms in the morning.”  Matthew is nodding agreeing to what she is saying while she gradually moving toward the front door adjusting her clothing rubbing her forehead and hair with her fingers.  Matthew seeing the one person he truly loved, the woman who completes him is leaving his apartment gently covering her with his arms.

 

“Please don’t leave me,” he holding her tight, she feeling his love as he is embracing her, laying her head on his biceps she is melting into him with no strength to pull away from her soul mate.

 

“Darling, please let me go, I do not want to leave you, but I must.  If someone find out that I stayed all night then you will have another and worse scandal, I don’t want to be the cause hurting your campaign,” Ebony is pleading with her lover as a few tears roll down her cheeks, “I’m weak for you, I do what every you want.”

 

Matthew hearing her open his eyes, he snapping out of a lustful spell letting her go, with his hands turning her to face him as he gaze into her.  “You are right, you should go, but do me one favor.”

 

“What.”

 

“Will you come to the debate, be my guest of honor?”  Ebony is unsure about attending, “Please, I need your support.”  She nodded yes, Matthew smile as she grin turning away open the front door walking out, he watches from the doorway she enter in to her car, powering it up pulling into gear driving off.

 

Three days later the night of the debate Matthew commits about God and His healing power controversy have grown a fevers pitch in distract 36, the state and the country as a whole.  Most critics with their own agendas believe Matthew is a misguided, uneducated individual and a religious zealot that wrong for congress.  Matthew is surprise that his worst opponents are people in the Christian community, but his campaign is encourage in the latest polls he has a solid 20% percent share compare to the other two candidates 29% and 33%.  The congressional debate for the Democratic nominee for Texas district 36 has been held in a small community college auditorium that seats 300 people, before the controversy only a 100 specters was projected to shown up now they are must have seats.  This debate was to be covered by the local news talk radio station and newspaper online service now TV camera representing all the cable news networks to capture what happens. 

 

Minutes away from the start of the debate Matthew and Pete are still preparing, Pete is worried, “Look the other two candidates’ are like tag team partners tonight, they both are going to jump all over you, Mat are you listening?”

 

Matthew is glancing at an empty chair on the front roll reserved for Ebony, “She not here yet.”

 

Who, what not here, Mat what are you talking about?”  Pete frustrated

 

“Ebony is not here and she said she would be here, I hope she OK.”

 

“She is alright, but you need to concentrate the debate is about to start,”  Pete spoke those words the assistant producer pointed at them for Matthew to approach the podium, “OK Matthew it’s show time, keep it loose, roll with the punches don’t stray off messages and have fun out their.”  Pete is trying to encourage Matthew padded on his back as he step up to the stand, the lights are bright, glancing to his left the other candidate are dressed in their custom made black suit position tall at their podium.  Further down the stage a table where there are three moderators to conducting the debate, two men one woman representing radio, TV and newspaper media.  The audience is respectful clapping as the men are introduced.   

 

The first candidate, the state rep started speaking Matthew is looking forward but he keep peering at the empty chair, his heart becoming sad each time he do not see her sitting there.  ‘She not coming, you are too late, she don’t love you anymore, that night was all emotion.’ Depressing word is flooding into his mind, but he still hopes that he will spot her in that chair.  Soon the second candidate, the former city councilman is speaking.

 

“…I want to make it clear that I do have a doctor and believe in science and medicine not hocus poke us or religious fables,” the city councilman laughing and making hand jester which cause the panel and the audience laugh and clap their hand of approval.  Now it is Matthew turn to speak the crowd quieted.

 

“Mr. Clark you have three minutes,” said Lester, “the floor is yours.”

 

“Thank you, I take time to let everyone in district 36 know who I am, so hear goes I’m 43 years old, I have never run for public office before, I own a successful business,” He turn his head seeing Ebony sitting in her seat.  He did not see come in but she there smiling brightly clothe in white from the blow in her hair, the dress down to the pumps on her feet she looked assume, “I have a five…year…old,” he pauses as he focus on her very pleased and overjoyed that she there.

 

“Mr. Clark, are you OK?”  Ask Lester, confuse why he stop speaking, Matthew lift up his hand at Lester.

 

“Ulmm, give me a minute,” said Matthew stepping away from the podium walking to the edge of the stage; people are confused talking loudly wanting to know what he doing.  He hops off the stage stepping toward Ebony, all the TV cameras just followed him step for step, and Pete putting his head in his hands know the campaign is done.  Ebony is shock seeing Matthew jump from the stage she stood to her feet he grabbing her hand, “You are here, I knew you would come.”

 

“Yes, I’m sorry I was late that rush hour traffic is horrible, but why are you down here and not up there debating.” 

 

“Oh they can wait I have something important to ask you.”

 

The other two candidates on stage just smirking at each other confident that Matthew is no threat to their campaign anymore, the panel of moderators is watching with great confusion and all three talking at the same time.

 

“Over the years I have moderate debates this is the first time someone just bolts off stage…” said Lester, speaking to his radio audience.

 

“He’s talking to the young woman dress in white on the front row,” the woman reporter sitting next to Lester, “and he holding her hand, who is she?”

 

“That must be his girlfriend or something.”

 

“No that is his child mother, but they are not currently dating, at lease that what’s on his campaigns facebook page.”

 

“Well I don’t know, he might need to update that thing, Hey!  He just pulled out and object from his pocket, a small box of something.”

 

“Awhhh, I think he’s proposing to her…Ooh, Ooh, where are my shades I can see that sparkling rock from here,” said the woman reporter excited, “he so sweet,” she is swooning and giggling.

 

“You got to be kidding me; he decided to propose during the debate,” said Lester upset and put off by Matthew action, “I can’t believe he took this moment to disrupt our debate for that.”

 

Ebony sat back down smiling continuing looking at the ring, Matthew sprint up the stairs on stage back behind his podium ready to restart the debate, “I am truly sorry for that, but had to be done...” Matthew is explaining, but Lester cutting him off.

 

“Well Mr. Clark are you done making a seen, can we continue the debate, that is why we are all here,” Matthew nodded, “I hope you had finish your opening statement because your three minutes has completely expired.  Now our first question is for…”

 

Suddenly the woman reporter grab the microphone, “Mr. Clark, I am Julie from Dallas Post online, I have one question that I everyone in this room and the world wants to know. 

 

What did she say?”

 

Matthew looked directly into the TV cameras started to smile bashfully, “She said, YES!”  The woman reporter squealed with glee as the whole auditorium of 300 people cheered and clapping standing to their feet.  Pete hearing the praised jump to his feet hands rose in the air excited of the people reaction.  Matthew is surprise by the response of the crowd; he is smiling staring at his beautiful bride and Ebony pleased and proud gazing at her fiancé.

 

Matthew Clark is vying for his party nomination to be its representative for Congressional district 36 of Texas, election will be held on the first Tuesday of November.  Please exercise your rights and duty to vote. 

 

A Man from the People

By

Lonnie Paul Johnson

9-28-2012



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on October 5, 2012
Last Updated on October 5, 2012


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing