Chapter one: The Change

Chapter one: The Change

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson
"

One disobedient act of a King can change the future of a nation

"

Chapter 1: The Change

 

The burning sun hangs over ancient Israel, war looms, and their sworn enemy the Philistine is gathering a massive army heading toward King Saul and his forces in the land of Gilgal.  The Philistine’s leaders are determined to destroy God people once and for all after the shameful defeat at the hands of  Jonathan’s troops, the King son at Geba a Philistine outpost.  Fear grips the heart of the solders as they hear the reports how massive this army is approaching them.

 

King Saul, viewing his troops hard presses with foreboding informed by Samuel to wait seven days so he can present the burnt offering.  Believing the reports from his spies, he desires the favor of God for this battle.  The duration is a torment in the mind of his men they can imagine tens of thousand marching feet armed with swords and shields clinging in rhythm coming for them.  In their nightmares, horses screeching, snorting, and pounding the ground pulling chariots behind them making a rumbling sound that heard miles in advance of their arrival.

 

Seven days pass and no sign of Samuel, the men where finish some grabbing their belonging running for home.  They knew in their hearts that even God has forsaken them, the commanders powerless from stopping them leaving, Saul fearing that he would have no troops to stand against the Philistine step out of his tent ordering all the horns to blow.  The men stop what they were doing to listen.  “Men of Israel,” shouted Saul, “The Lord has not forsaken us, I your King anointed by God will present the peace offering and you see that His favor is with us.”

 

Saul commanded the priest to set the altar and lay the sacrifice on it, at first they did not want to comply because he is out of order, but the King insisted pulling out his sword, they obeyed.  Taking hold of the flame all his men watch Saul set fire to the peace offering.  Smoke rising from the flame and the smell burning flesh has overtaken all the troops then in the distant, he saw approaching camp riding a donkey swiftly a man.  Saul swallowed hard because he knew it Samuel he ran to meet him. 

 

Red flames and black smoke bellowing in the air, Samuel squints as he dismounts the donkey gripping his staff marching toward Saul striking his shoulder with his staff, ‘ouch!’

 

“What have you done!” yelled Samuel glaring at the smoke shaking his head with disappointment.

 

Within seconds, King Saul became like little boy in front Samuel explaining, “I was losing my men and the Philistines assembling at Mishmash about to attack at any moment.”  Samuel turns to face him, “So I felt compelled to present the burnt offering for the Lord favor.”  He struck Saul other shoulder, ‘ouch!’

 

“You acted foolishly, you have not kept the command the Lord gave you, and if you had He would have established your kingdom forever.”  Samuel rubbing his forehead depress in his heart spoke prophetically, “The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” 

Samuel left Gilgal and Saul broke camp to join Jonathan at Gibeah.  The Lord guided Jonathan and his armor-bearer to attack that spark a great victory over their enemy.

 

A decade has past and the Philistines hatred continue to vex God people with war but the blessing of the Lord is with his children giving them mighty victories.  The blessing hand of the Lord extended to a small town, Bethlehem at the house of Jesse where Nitzevet, his wife is with child.   Informing her husband to expect another baby they both took to there roles as old veterans to the process already had nine children.  Nitzevet is not looking forward to months of her body changing and emotional swings.  Abigail their daughter is extremely joyful months away from entering the age of womanhood herself, she is excited for both of them.  She was too young to appreciate the last time when her mother was pregnant, but now at the dawn when she will become a wife and mother watches with amazement.  She peppered her mother with question and touching her belly through out pregnancy to feel the baby move.

 

The night of the birth Nitzevet is in labor Abigail and the midwives working together assisting in the natural process.  Abigail could hardly contain her excitement finally seeing the baby she watches grow in her mother womb.  After a few hours of toil, the little boy enters into the world Abigail is the first to handle the crying infant.  The women clean rub salt and apply oils on his skin then wrap him in blankets snug to keep the tot warm.  Nitzevet holding the boy as he suck her breast Abigail lay next her mother in awe watching him feed.  “Momma he beautiful, what will you name him?” asks Abigail, gently caressing his cheeks with her fingers.  Nitzevet tired from the nights events could not think of a name.

 

“What name would you give him?” She asks her daughter.

 

Abigail thought as she gaze into the little face, “He such a darling…I would call him David.”  Nitzevet agreed and the little child became known as

 

David.

 

Jesse held his son up to God giving thanks for blessing with another son, he place the little child on to his wife lap she swiftly gave David to Abigail to hold.  Nitzevet only held him when she had too during feeding and when they where out in public, Abigail did most of the kissing, petting, caressing and playing with the infant pretending that’s her baby. 

 

Abigail is at the age when girls in her village are ready for marriage, all of her playmates had husbands, some married older men and others fulfill family agreement some made before they were born.  Abigail found herself the only one not married but she kept hopeful, she tries not to focus that she taller than all the men and women in town.  She attempt not to dwell that her voice is not soft feminine like most women, but is deep and smooth.  Abigail aim not notice that her form is slender than most, she would wear extra clothing to give her frame a fuller look.  Abigail had her hopes well place that she will get married, a young man in the community desire to make her his wife.  Barak a broad shoulder man, with olive skin and is an equal height to her and is three years younger than she is, but when they talk he would say, ‘when I come of age I will have you as my wife.’  She fell in love with him satisfied to wait knowing that this is the man for her.

 

David grew healthy and strong, very closed to Abigail as if she is his mother.  So when lighting run across the night sky and thunder pound the earth with terror young David frighten by the powerful forces run to the safety of Abigail bed comfort him self at her feet his little arms holding on tight to her legs and calm by her warmth.  Her soft hand rubbing his head to reassure to him that everything is all right. 

 

Jesse noticing young David chasing and harassing sheep’s in the pin knew it time for training him to be a shepherd boy.  He order his next youngest son Nahum to take David with him out in the fields, Abigail worried that he was too young, but Nahum is glad because David would take over his duties and he can be with his older brothers. 

 

David is eager to learn seeking to make his father proud; they would stay away from home many days coming back to stock up on supplies.  David would tell Abigail all his adventures out in the hill country protecting the sheep from wild dogs and wolves. The day came when David turn eleven he will go out alone into the field, Abigail worried her self to tears, David try to reassure her that he will be ok.

 

“Abby I have done this for two years with my brother I’m ready and able,” Said David.

 

Abigail with a few tears in her eyes gazing at his young face, “Darling don’t mine me I’m just being a woman seeing her baby growing up make me cry.”  She reach over hand him a dagger that she polish and sharpen he position it in belt then they both embrace each other, after that he gave his mother a hug goodbye as she padded his head.  Turning he grab his shepherd staff leaving as the herd of sheep followed, Abigail stand watching him fade into the distant.

 

“The way you act around that boy I would think you are the mother.” Remark Nitzevet

 

“No mother, I just worry about him that all, he your son.” Respond Abigail

 

That night he made camp built a small fire, feeling truly alone he kept looking at the clear night sky with sparkling stars above.  In his spirit, he felt a pleasing presence and he did not know where it came from, still gawking at the night wonders he figure it God so he grab his harp playing a song to the Lord.  That since gave him such joy that he put words to his music:

 

I will praise you, O Lord,

With all my heart;

I will tell of all your wonders.

I will be glad and rejoice in you;

I will sing praise to you name, O Most High.[i]

 



[i] Psalm 9:1-2 NIV



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


Author's Note

Lonnie Paul Johnson
This story show the birth of David and his relationship with his older sister Abigail. This chapter starts his career as a shepherd boy. I hope you like the chapter because it might be a little slow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

a well told story with subtle insinuations about the gender orientation of abigail, weaved cleverly into a well described ancient time appropriate piece. Wonderful imagery and voice. Enjoyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Added on March 11, 2012
Last Updated on March 11, 2012


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing