Chapter 2 Kill The Lion

Chapter 2 Kill The Lion

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson
"

Young David shepherding his sheep pick a fight with a lion and Abigail discover a rumor about the man she thought would marry her.

"

Kill the Lion

 

Daybreak David led his flock to the grasses valley; came upon the carcass of a half eaten sheep.  He inspects the animal looking at the bit marks and noticing paw prints on the ground, he knew it not a wolf.  the kill is fresh no more than day old, and then he heard a loud deep vibrating roar,’ Lion.’  David choices is limited, if he was with his brother they would have move the flock to another locating hoping the lion go somewhere else, but he like this valley it had healthy green grass.  He made up his mind to stay there, ‘I will kill the lion.’

 

David leaving the herd in the valley searches for the lion in the direction where he heard the roar.  Coming across another dead animal, he knows he is going in the right direction; quietly he spots the lion lounging on his back legs in the air position against a small tree.  Pulling out his sling reaching into the pouch removing a round stone, he is confident in his mind that the Lord will give him victory over this beast.  Skillful and silent as a snake stalking closer to the big cat to make a clear shot, plans forms in his mind how he will battle this enemy.  David stood spinning the sling shot the stone; ‘POP!’ smacking the lion head.

 

The striking projectile painfully woke the lion from his slumber looking around to see what hit him, swiftly another stone hit him in the ear causing his head to spin as he leap to his feet bellowed out an angry roaaaaaarrr!  David grabs another stone quickly firing it into the animal face, the jolt pushing the head back blood streaming.  The lion spotted David shooting at him with rage the creature charge at him; with his staff, he held it low as the beast came upon him the hook of the poll catching the left leg pit.  David pushes with all his strength flipping him over barley missing the striking paw using the animal weight as advantage, the motion throwing David breaking his staff.  The lion tumble repeatedly kicking up a cloud of dirt he stop rolling jumping to his feet shaking off the dust howl a huge roar the sound sunk deep into every thing around him including David.

 

Waiting David breathing heavy keeping low to the ground and position the jagged edge rod close to his feet so the big cat cannot see it.  The lion dash toward David showing his fangs leap in the air about to strike the little lad as he spring up the spear plunging it through the neck it breaking out the other end severing the spine.  The beast fell on David his claws cutting his arm as it roll with the rod impaled into his flesh breaking into many fragment as he tumble to a complete stop blood pouring out at both ends of the animals’ wounds.  David hop to his feet with dagger in hand, blood streaming from his arm view the lion in a pool of it’s blood breathing painfully, he step with caution as he saw the beast paralyze by it injuries jabbing the blade into the body killing it.  Standing hand raise, head back and eyes closed yelling loudly praising The Lord for giving him a great victory over his foe.  Skinning the animal taking it as a memorial to God favor, he played his harp singing songs in celebration.

 

He arrives home as Abigail ran to meet him joyful to see that he all right noticing that his skin dark brown from exposure of the suns rays.  That evening in front of all his brothers and father during the meal eager to tell his story, “Father a few days ago the Lord blessed me to kill a lion,” he had everyone attention, David animated with his arms telling his story.  “I stark the lion and with my staff…”  His brothers glancing at each other laughing, Eliab, the oldest spoke.

 

“Our baby brother has the knack of tell fanatic fables,” Said Eliab.

 

“I’m telling you the truth,” David raising his voice, “I have the skins to prove it.”

 

“I bet you found a dead lion and skinned that,” imply Abinadab, second oldest brother.

 

“No, I did kill a lion and he wasn’t dead already,” David trying to explain looking at his father, Jesse tired of listening to his boys argue.

 

“Quiet, all of you, I never heard a man fight a lion one on one ever won that conflict, so it hard for me to believe a boy is able to kill a lion.”  David spirit depressed looking at his brothers snickering at him, “I guess you came upon an old lion and kill it and now you are embellishing the story, well no harm done I told a few tall tales during my youths too.”

 

After the meal, David frustrated that his father think he was lying, lending against the wall back of the estate listening to Abigail humming cheerfully as she weaves a basket together.  “Abby did something good happen to you today?”

 

Smiling as she spoke, “My joy is overflowing, because my dreams are coming true.”

 

“What that?” 

 

“I haven’t told anyone,” she beckoned him to come closer, “but I will confide to you, promise you will not tell,” he nodded yes.  “I will be married in a couple of days.” David sat by her surprise, wondering whom the man to married his sister and she told him, Barak.

 

“He’s too young, just a boy like me,” remark David

 

“No he’s eighteen years old and not a boy, “Abigail defenses are up about Barak, women can marry slightly younger men.”  David wishes her for the best kissing her on the cheek. 

 

Abigail is in bliss as she performs her chores at the town water well where all the women gather to talk and gossip of what going on in the village.  Abigail hug and kiss her circle of girlfriends all of them are married with children, she consider those babies her Godchildren because she was the midwife to all of their births.  Most women in the village trust and seek Abigail because of her knowledge and skill, but not all some are jealous that she is well like even doe she below them in the community of women.  She did not mind the usually verbal jabs she receives because she not married yet.  Grabbing the bucket dropping into the well because it her turn to fill her water pouches she overhear her boyfriend name in conversation.

 

“Last night I heard Barak is betrothal to Eglah, she only thirteen.”  The woman spoke making sure Abigail heard, she knew how she feel about Barak.  Shock to her soul drop the bucket back into the well shaking her head frantically, grabbing her empty water pouches eyes down hurried down the road.  Barak seeing her coming up the trail to his family property ran out to meet her.

 

“Is---it---true,” her voice quivering, placing his hands on her shoulders nodded yes.  “We were supposed to get married, you promise and I’m waiting for you,” Barak hugging her trying to comfort.

 

“I’m sorry my father made this arrangement with Eglah parents so I must marry her or lose my inheritance, but after our first son is born I can take a second wife and my father wouldn’t object,”  explain Barak, she pull back her eyes closed disillusioned, “I love you Abigail just wait a little longer and we be together…”

 

Turning away from Barak walking hasty down the path her heart breaking knowing she will not marry him.  She wanted to cry but anger prevented that feeling from rising, mad for falling in love with him and hated Eglah for taking him.  She remember that she have to go back to the well to collect the days water hopping that none of the women are still their.  From a distant, she saw one person getting water, the woman turn her head and she call out Abigail name running toward to greet her. 

 

Eglah, the one person she did not want to see, she may be young in age but her body is fully-grown.  Her skin honey brown with curly thick black hair that sit on her head like a crown, she not too tall and Eglah arms and legs are thick and shapely, she fit the mold perfectly of every mans in Bethlehem desire of a woman.  Taking hold of Abigail hands beaming full of joy eyes sparkling.

 

“Abigail I’m so happy to see you,” talking fast as they spin in a circle because Eglah is excided, “I haven’t slept the whole night because the Lord has blessed me to be betrothal to my love Barak.”  Abigail thinking to herself as Eglah talk, ‘I hate your happiness, I hate your youth.’  She stop spinning due to the dizziness it causing, Eglah kept talking, “I hope we can become best of friends, Barak told me that you are like an old trusted sister to him and I want to know everything about him so I be a support to him.” 

 

Abigail did not know what to say because in her mind she want to curse the little wench for destroying her life, but she just a little girl in love like her when she was that age.  Eglah eager to please took her empty water pouches filling them, Abigail look on imagine with glee that a bear would run up to Eglah drag her away or a giant eagle swoop down and snatch her body fly to the mountains to feed Eglah to her young chicks.  Abigail told her that they would talk next week Eglah happy she ran home with joy full of energy, but Abigail drained as she hike back home discourage.

 

Gradually walking on the road looking toward Heaven lamenting to God, “I was born curse under a dark cloud, I am in a deep pit cover by a huge rock.  My form and desires is of a young sensual woman but denied fulfilingl its purpose, my eyes will see the fruit I cannot have; I will never taste my lover lips or kiss our children faces.  My hands will work to build others dreams, but they will tear down my happiness to the ground; my womb will remain empty to torment me for the reward given for my sins.   My heart will now become like stone content to live alone, I will grow old and when I die, no one will weep at my passing soon to be forgotten.”

 

Abigail approach the house seeing David in the back preparing to return to the hills she grab hold of David running her finger through his hair, “Do you love me,” tears flowing down her cheeks, “but you too will abandon me, soon every one I loved will leave me.”  Her voice crackling and muddle under the strain as she is sobbing from the depth of her soul.  David knowing his beloved sister is greatly trouble hold her firmly in his arms as they both slump to the ground her head is on his young shoulders, her deep wailing fill the house getting the attention of her brothers and Nitzevet.  The boys stare at their sister weeping her mother making them leave as she held her hand.

 

Abigail calm enough to talk telling them everything about her secret engagement with Barak and his marriage to Eglah, David angry jump to his feet pulling out his dagger, “I will kill him!”  She grabs his leg preventing from leaving.

 

“Don’t hurt him, please, I don’t hate him.  I do not want his death on my conscience…promise you will leave him,” begged Abigail, David wanting to avenge for her honor promise her he will never hurt Barak, the rage dissipated he kept his word.  Nitzevet beckon David to depart so that she can mend her daughter wounds.  That night camping in the field viewing the cloud passing under the moon, David played a sad tune from his harp.  He prayed to his Heavenly Father for mercy to give joy back into Abigail heart, peace in her soul and a smile on her face.

 

The sunset and sunrises time move forward with the help from her mother Abigail heart begins the healing process.  Abigail avoid going to the well when all the women are there because she not strong enough to take the verbal abuses.  Barak knowing Abigail sensitive contention try to discourage his bride from visiting her without tell her why only to say she not well.  David coming back home seeing if his sister is getting better felt encourage when she smile at him, but he know by her eyes great sadness persist in her soul.



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


Author's Note

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Thank you for reading chapter two, I hope the interaction with David and his brothers and father shows what little respect he had in the family. In writing my character Abigail I don't think I could completely understand the world for women in 1000BC, where your value is totally base on who you married and how many children you can have. The disappointment that Abigail faces I hope I was not over the top with emotion, hey tell what you thing about chapter 2.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on March 26, 2012
Last Updated on March 26, 2012
Tags: short novel, religion, christian fiction


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing