Chapter 5 It's A Bear

Chapter 5 It's A Bear

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson
"

David fight a bear to save his friend

"

IT’S A BEAR

 

The rays from the sun brighten the dark sky from complete blackness into clear blue with white swollen clouds riding the winds currents, birds soaring dancing up and swooping down chirping probing for their meals.  The young lambs up from their slumber running and spinning happy to be alive, David awoke as the sunlight touching his face and the clamor of the animals around him fill the landscape.  Drinking cool water from his pouch and consuming his sister wonderful raisin cake set David in a good mode as he proceeded out into the field as his flock following him eager to feed.

 

Later on at the six hour of the day David, stop when he heard growl of a bear in the distant, the beast roar is angry, suddenly he heard the horrified screams of a person in trouble.  David leaving his sheep running toward the direction of the commotion, soon he crest a hill seeing sheep’s from another herd scattered all around, some were injured limping and a few standing shaking in shock he saw dead bodies that been brutally attack. Ahead, he can see and hear the bear crawling up a tree.  A girl in the tree eyes wide open with fear body trembling, grasping her shepherd staff punching the creature in the face with all her strength, but her effort of stopping the angry brute not working.  The bear swing his powerful paw catching the staff ripping from the girl hands; she yell in defeat as the poll fell to the ground, she push her exhaust frame up the branch defenseless from the beast free to devourer it prize.  

 

David yelling at the animal pulling his sling from his belt loading rocks firing thumping the monster like striking bees on his back, head and paw causing enormous pain, some of the rocks would miss the bear hitting the tree breaking off fragments of bark.  The raging bear stop climbing the tree turn landed his front paws on the ground irritated at David pelting with stinging stones stood to his hind feet groooowwwwl expecting David to run away in fear.  But with the heart of a warrior he charge the towering bear dagger in hand swing his sling releasing a pebble striking the middle of the forehead causing the great beast to lose balance falling the ground on his back.

 

Leaping in the air, David landed on the chest of the bear using his dagger stabbing his sharp blade sinking into the flesh pulling it out with fury causing heavy amounts blood to spilling.  The mighty paw of the large beast slap David side thrust his small frame flying slamming the ground hard sliding in the dirt.  The bear roll to his feet bleeding profusely eyed David sprawled out ahead ready to maul him.  Pop! Pop!  Rocks hitting the irate bear head turning to see the girl shooting at him, she jump out of the tree, grabbing rocks using her sling firing sharp stones to distract the bear from attacking David.

 

The raging bear being vex by the by stinging stones turn his attention back to the girl, “Get up David, run!” she call out, David daze from hitting the ground rose to his knees shaking his head, recognizing the voice calling him as Sarah Jair, turning to watch the bear stepping towards her growling mad.  She spin to run placing her foot on the staff it rolled causing her to fall face forward bumping her knee extremely hard on the rough ground.  She wish in her mind that death comes quickly, hopping that her father will not view her torn appearance bracing for the pain.   David jump to his feet chasing after the beast knowing he have to save his friend, reaching close launching him self on the back of the animal taking the dagger with both hands and all of his strength plunged the sharp blade into the skull.  The blow instantly killed the bear as it drop the ground making David flip over tumbling and sliding on the rocky hard ground spring up dust filling the air like clouds only to stop beside Sarah Jair.

 

The dust clearing Sarah Jair rose to her feet rubbing her sore knee notice David laid out flat, turning to observe the bear motionless and bloody.  David twitches and gowned in pain, she quick drop to her knee and set up David, “You’re alive!  Are you ok?”  David nodded yes, as he stands to his feet, “Thank you for saving me, that bear came out of nowhere and attack my sheep, I try to fight him off and he chase me into that tree.”  Sarah Jair holding David as his legs wobbly, she walks him to the tree using water to clean his wounds.

 

“You dress like a girl, why?”  Ask David coughing from the dusk in the air.

 

“Well I decided not to hide myself anymore, I will no be ashamed of who I am, God made me a woman because he know I can handle the great reasonability of womanhood, and for you David I want your respect not your hate.”

 

“I don’t hate you; I love you as a fellow brother shepherd boy and a friend.”

 

“Oh thank you David I’m a brother,” Sarah Jair excitement she grab David face kiss him on the lips, the shock of a girl kissing other than his sister or mother cause David to jerk his head back slamming against the tree trunk, ‘ouch!’, she quickly put her hands over her mouth, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

 

“What are you doing, brothers don’t do that.”

 

“Oh I kiss my sisters all the time on the lips.”

 

David glancing at her, “I know girls do strange things, but brother don’t kiss like that.”  David rubbing back of his head did not want to say, but inside of his soul like the kiss from Sarah Jair.  After he rested for a moment, he assist in gather her flock together, and in the distant he heard his name called both turning to spot Nahum running toward him.

 

“David I am glad I found you, run home father is calling for you, I watch over the sheep till you get back,” then he focuses on David bruises and scratches, “What happen to you?”

 

David excited and not knowing why he need to hurry home turn as he answer his brother question running, “I killed a bear,” Nahum laugh thinking David is making up fantastic tales again glance at Sarah, her eyes pointed to the direction huge black hairy mound by the tree the corpse of a bear, he is astonish. 

 

David sprinting home seeing his mother stand outside the home anxiously looking for her youngest son.  She spots him arms raised waving trying to hurried him along, he reach her bent over hands mounting on his knees breathing heavy, sweat streaming from his forehead, chest and the rest of his muscle lifting up to view his mother eyes squinting exhausted, “Is father ok?”

 

“Yes he’s---what happens to you?  Burse, scratches all over your body, and is that blood on your clothes?”  Ask Nitzevet, fit to be tired looking at David.

 

David smirking, “Yes but it not mine blood,” Nitzevet grabbing his arm dragging him to the doorway, she spit in a cloth rubbing his face trying to remove the dirt cake on his brown face and some refuse to come off.  Jesse appears at the entrance glaring at him.

 

“David, you are a mess, have you been wresting with the sheep’s again?”

 

“No father, I just killed a…”  Jesse took David inside position him in front holding his shoulders walking to the open room.  David notice that everyone is wearing their best clothes and had wash themselves clean, all of his brothers and Abigail are standing in room and sitting an elderly man looking up at him.  The old man stretch out his arms wanting help to his feet, Eliab and Abinadab assist him; walk over to David looking at his ruddy, but attractive face.

 

“Boy, do you know who I am?” spoke the old man his voice fill the room like a heavy brass horn, David slowly shaking his head ‘no,’ “I am Samuel, the servant of the Lord Almighty.”  Said Samuel, David drop to his knees put his face at his feet.  “Rise to your feet son,” Samuel chuckle within himself, “The Lord has chosen a shepherd boy.”

 

“Chosen for what, master Samuel?”  Ask Jesse, Samuel taking hold a ram horn uncorking it, the fragrance of the spies oil fill the room it slightly blur David eyes tears formed, pouring the contents over David head.  The oil drench his hair streamed down his face on to his neck arms and hands.  The oil continues down to his chest, legs and all the way to his feet.

 

“David the Lord has chosen you to be the leader of his people; your descendant shall reign on the throne of Israel forever.”  Samuel put his hands on his forehead then he kiss both of his cheeks turn left the room walk outside finding his donkey.  David looked around to see all of his brothers stun mouth open silent, Abigail looking proud tears flowing whispering to her self, ‘King David,’ David turn at his parents they where speechless as they stare at him.  David follow Samuel outside watch mount his animal riding off, The Spirit fell on him with power he closed his eyes looking toward Heaven still dripping oil.

 

“O Lord, I am your humble servant,” spoke David not know how this will happen but hidden in his heart the knowledge that it will happen.

 

The Shepherd Boy ©

 



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


Author's Note

Lonnie Paul Johnson
In this chapter David fight a bear to save his friend and he find out his true mission in life to be King over Israel, but this will not become reality for another 18 years. This story shows that God has a plan for your life but it will take time for it come so you will have to stand and believed that it will come. I hope you the reader enjoyed this story about David and his sister Abigail holding and waiting on God's plan for their lives. I had fun writing this short story and I hoping to come up with second story of the Shepherd Boy, please tell me what think about it, thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on May 7, 2012
Last Updated on May 7, 2012
Tags: short novel, religion, christian fiction


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing